Page 11 of 141 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest - I didn't really think this film was that neccesary, the second one ended on a good point and i wouldn't of minded that to be the finale. Anyway this is kind of a bit of a even duller thriller then the others. It goes very slow, it doesn't have the edge like the other two movies. It does go into a lot of the back story of Lisbeth though most of it is kind of repeating itself from the second movie. All in all I think I would give this one a miss to be honest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Watched REC2 and Pontypool (canadian zombie flick),both were good movies.

I watched Drive and feel rather torn about it. It's my first Refn film and while I definitely appreciated its technical aspects I didn't love it or liked it.

The cinematography was in general extremely well done and beautiful without feeling like it was showing off, except for two distinct scenes where it made sense, and the editing was masterful in the way it build up the tension. It was also refreshing to have chase scenes where you could understand what the hell happened. I thought all the actors did a good job (Refn also effectively builds up the eponymous driver into more of an icon than a character), and some of the characterisation was deft. The violence was surprisingly gory, and that too felt welcome.

Yet I never managed to care or feel much for the characters past the first half of the film. I felt very much on the outside, politely watching some wonderfully crafted but cold and heartless contraption. Never mind the plot to this point had enough interesting slight twists on worn tropes (e.g. when the husbands comes back home, a lesser film would have depicted him as an asshole), but devolved straight into your usual "crime doesn't pay" and "money will destroy everyone" stuff you see in pretty much every gangster flick.

It wasn't an unpleasant experience -and I should say I didn't dislike it per se- but I guess at the end of it I just lost interest; the biggest flaw a film can have. Still, it was technically brilliant enough and displayed a lot of good ideas beyond the directing to make me interested in the rest of Refn's output.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Sophiaaaaaaa!

Oh sorry, I was just watching episode 7 of Walking Dead. Seems it's on break till January now.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    This year has sucked so far for movies. The only ones I've seen that I liked were:

Drive (awesome. It's like Tarantino, only with no dialogue. So, I guess, now that I think about it, that means it's like an American Beat Takashi movie?)
    Melancholia (Von Trier's best since "Breaking the Waves")
    Attack the Block

That's it. Those are the only movies I've seen so far this year that I would say are essential viewing.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Watched REC2 and Pontypool (canadian zombie flick),both were good movies.
    I hated REC2 soooo much. Although, I really, really, loved REC.

Pontypool's pretty good, though.

The Thing (2011)

What the FUCK was that shit? Almost completely dire and made by people who obviously read a plot synopsis of the Carpenter classic, but didn't deign to actually watch it.
    The only positive was Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who, if in a better film I think could play a good tough female lead a la Sigourney Weaver.

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

What a pleasant surprise. I've been looking for a romantic comedy to watch with the missus that doesn't revolve around shrill neurotic female love interests and annoying manchild male love interests.

What we have here is charismatic, likeable people making stupid mistakes but ultimately getting past them in a slighly off-formula manner. I thought the ending was a little forces but it left me and the missus feeling content and fuzzy which is the point of snuggling on the couch together watching a romantic comedy.

Also, Emma Stone, Julianne Moore and Ryan Gosling's obscenely chistled abs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Just watched Sudden Impact, the fourth of the Dirty Harry films. Thought it was pretty damn good and kept a better pace than Dirty Harry itself, even if that is more iconic. Definitely stronger than the second and third films, although they're all cracking.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Just watched Session 9. Not sure what to think about it, or to be more precise, how to interpret it. I liked the movie, with little subtle mind screws and making it look like it's pointing fingers. However, I am left wonderingif the other workers were a symptom of Gordon's splitted mind, or if Simon is some supernatural being which possessed Gordon after his... incident with his wife and family, or if Simon is the only other personality of Gordon which drove him to his actions at the asylum. The more I think about it, the more confused I become.

Watched The Aviator a few days ago after watching most of the mediocre and terribad movie releases this year. I thought it was a bit too dramatic in a few scenes in the film but overall, it's brilliant. Haven't watched much Scorsese films to say it was one of, if not the best film he made, though.

Also, I watched the new Tintin movie weeks ago. A bit disappointing in terms of storyline but visually impressive even when compared to Zemekis films in terms of animation.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Watched via magical internets the BBC remake of the Borrowers. Very cute bit of Christmas cheer, and it was nice to see Stephen Fry and Doctor Eccleston still pull off some good scenes. I had trouble with some of the colloquialisms but that's foreign television for ya.

Perfect Sense with Ewan McGregor was surprisingly uplifting despite the actual plot, but taken out of context as more of a stage of life analysis - I found it quite inspirational. Also the score was *really* good.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Activated Node
    Watching some old horror movies. I'm a huge horror fan but have always steered clear of the classics. Frankenstein was a chore even though it was only an hour long, but I'm excited about watching The Horror of Dracula​ with Lee and Cushing. I've never watched the old Hammer films, and it's about time.

The Adjustment Bureau - A really good romance film with a kind of quite cool sci-fi twist and a little bit of action towards it. It deals with Two couples finding each other throughout the years and the guy realising that they are not meant to be together because the people who control peoples destinies do not want them to be together. Matt Deamon is really good in it, and the couple do feel very realistic and close. Even though they do some romance cliches(like the couple breaking up before getting back together) it doesn't it in an interesting sci-fi way that it doesn't feel to bad. All in all I definitly recommend it. Oh and its nothing like Inception really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    The 6-hour-long 6-cassette-BBC-series version Pride and Prejudice! It is as funny as I remember the book being, so that's a grand thing. =)

1, perhaps 2, cassettes a night. We will see.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Submarine - A really great deadpanish style of comedy, its a kind of slice of life about a teenager living in Swansea in the 80s trying to get a girlfriend and trying to stop his parents falling apart. I found it really funny, and it reminded me a lot of when i was a teenager. The main character is a bit odd but likeble and the people around him are the same. all in all definitely recommended and I will be interested to what Richard Ayoade makes next.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Drive - Stylish and brutal, one of the better movies I saw last year.

Moneyball - Unexpectedly good movie about something I don't care about (Baseball/Statistics in baseball).

Stake Land - Good vampire/horror movie, although it feels more like a zombie movie.

The Last Films I watched:
    Limitless: I found it to be interesting.
    The Next Three Days: entertaining.
    Compulsion for video gaming and entertainment

Solaris - I have no idea what the hell this was about, and it seemed the director was making sure of that fact. 5 minutes of just a car driving with creepy music, random bits in black and white for no apprant reason. A story and twist that makes you go "WTF?" The only good thing I can say about this is that it definitely gives you a kind of lonely and creepy atmosphere throughout the ship parts. and despite it being 3 hours long and not having a clue what it was about it didn't really bore me. Anyway I think Stalker is probably better because i could kind of understand that, not fully but I like understanding it a bit and then going deeper then understanding it a little.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Real Steel last night. The first couple of minutes of the film is a shot of a truck driving through some farms of wind turbines, and all I could think of thanks to Anno 2070 is how bad their efficiency would be due to proximity to each other. Sigh. Decent feel-good movie, and great CGI effects. Hugh Jackman basically phones it in, but it's good enough for a Disney film. The plot and the science of it all doesn't stand up to even the slightest bit of scrutiny, so if you can get past it, it delivers for what it is - a "alienated kid and his dad" movie.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.