Page 112 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2640
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    @ JG Man: Drive the awesome recent movie with Ryan Gosling? Or Drive the awesome 1998 kung fu flick with Mark Dacascascascos?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Anthile: Have you tried the Arrow TV show? It is nothing mindblowing, but it is rather filled with DC fan service.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Drive the recent movie with Ryan Gosling.

You know what, it felt like it was a video game.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah I found Drive to be all style no substance which pretty much describes a lot of the directors movies which is a shame because there was good points in the film.

The Raid 2 : Berandal
    It's.. I don't know. It's longer I guess (2,5 hours). The fight is still fun to watch but there are a lot more talking in this one. I feel like they tried too hard to justify the fight scene and since now they are in open space (prison, clubs, streets, restaurant, kitchens, even trains) you can see people sort off running together in the background but they reached the protagonist one by one, I think I like more consistency in fighting scenes. There's even one scene where you can see people in the background strangling each other for some time while the protagonist is fighting on the foreground, it looks almost like a fight stage in Street Fighter. The last fighting scene is worth it though.

In other news, Noah is censored here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovac View Post
    In other news, Noah is censored here.
    What, they only show the realistic scenes?
    The credits, basically.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Yeah I found Drive to be all style no substance which pretty much describes a lot of the directors movies which is a shame because there was good points in the film.
    But its got tonnes of style so I don't see a problem with it being a bit light on substance.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Network Hub
    Just saw The Lavender Hill Mob with Alec Guinness. Great film, Guinness is brilliant and a joy to watch. Funny how a film can be both depressing and "feel good" at the same time.

Finally got round to seeing Videodrome for the first time. Christ, what a train-wreck of a film. Funny how the theme relates perfectly to the internet and yet predates it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Fountain for the first time since 2006. Damn I'm old.
    I wonder where the 35 million dollars went. They spent 140k on (sometimes unconvincing) macro photography for all the special effects. And there are some minor digital effects. Then a couple of sets, more or less artificial-looking. Well, I actually like the artificial jungle. I guess the conquistador costumes are good looking.
    I don't understand Hollywood accounting. How much do they pay those actors? Weisz was Aronofsky's wife and Jackman is the only other A-list actor. There are like 4 other recognizable faces. It was shot with a single camera.
    What ate 35 million dollars? The catering? I know building the tree and a rig for the bubble ship were a pain in the ass, but it's a fake fucking tree.

Oops, I'm too sleepy at the time. I meant it was blocked. The censor group is a bit of an ass. They let a lot of things through but every once in awhile they blocked something cool. They said they're trying to avoid "controversy" (2012 comes to mind)

Just saw God Bless America which was fairly amusing with some good dialogue in places. Tho the social commentary felt a little predictable...
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The Raid 2 is better than The Raid. Such a great set of movies.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    @Anthile: Have you tried the Arrow TV show? It is nothing mindblowing, but it is rather filled with DC fan service.
    Yeah, I heard it's not so bad. I might give it a shot soon.

The Grandmaster
    The biopic on the life of Ip Man, legendary wing chun grandmaster and later teacher of Bruce Lee, directed by Wong Kar-wai. That sounds like a match made in heaven but sadly it doesn't quite work. Most of the film is set during the second Sino-Japanese wars (which also covers WW2) and not only does the film focus on Ip Man himself but also the Gong clan of martial artists with whom Ip Man actually doesn't have that much to do with. It's almost a completely different storyline and much more of a conservative martial arts plot. Basically, master is old, best pupil is good at martial arts but evil, daughter of master is good but not meant to inherit but does so anyway. And everybody was kung fu fighting.
    The problem is that these are essentially two stories in one movie and it's just way too short for both to develop properly (only about 130 minutes) and at times it feels that Ip Man is a side character in his own story. Sometimes side characters come and go without explanation and I still don't know who the guy called the Razor is. He has two major fight scenes! Maybe there's going to be some director's cut that adds an hour or two.
    Also, it absolute looks gorgeous, as one would expect when Wong Kar-wai is involved. It got nominated for a best cinematography and best costumes oscar both of which are well deserved.

Kagemusha
    One of Kurosawa's last works, it's about a lowly criminal who barely escapes his execution because he has an uncanny resemblance to his liege lord, Takeda Shingen, who then employs him as a double hence the title (Kagemusha meaning shadow warrior, apparently the actual term used for doubles). When Shingen meets a rather awkward fate, hilarity ensues...
    Well, in many ways Kagemusha feels like a prelude to Ran. There's many of the same type of gorgeous shots and large battle scenes. One can only imagine how much effort went into that.
    Ran is about madness and futility, Kagemusha is almost equally pessimistic but it's about illusions and social constructs, semiotics if you want.
    Last edited by Anthile; 01-04-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    When I was first shown the excellent Planet Terror, one of the best things about it were the fake trailers before it. It was with a wish that Machete would come to be a reality. And then it did and I had heard mixed things and somehow found myself not watching it.

And based on what I just watched, a ridiculous culmination of hackneyed dialogue, hammy over-acting, frankly absurd action and hilariously stupid props, I find most of my wish of the film being real to be justified. It's just stupid fun, where everyone involved was just being as stupid as possible to make something fun. I don't think it's without flaws though, as the pacing does seem a bit wibbly and the plot a bit heavy-handed, but overall it was entertaining. I think between it, Planet Terror and Death Proof, it's probably my least favourite, but I'm glad I watched it.