Page 113 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2807
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    The Princess Bride sadly didn't live up to the hype. It's fun, well acted and with small touches that serve as Parental Bonus, but in the end its still a kids movie. A very good one, but still.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I thought it was a much better movie when I watched it the second time when I was older, agree about the hype though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    The Princess Bride sadly didn't live up to the hype. It's fun, well acted and with small touches that serve as Parental Bonus, but in the end its still a kids movie. A very good one, but still.
    :<

fuck of 10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I really like it for Raul Julia. The man was an amazing actor and he took a complete piece of poo-poo 100% seriously (as an actor. He totally hammed it up) and gave it his all. And it is really put in an even better light when you realize he knowingly signed up for a movie that would probably put a black mark at the end of his career because his kids loved the franchise and he wanted to get one more big payday before he died.

I always love this bit:

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    When I was first shown the excellent Planet Terror, one of the best things about it were the fake trailers before it. It was with a wish that Machete would come to be a reality. And then it did and I had heard mixed things and somehow found myself not watching it.

And based on what I just watched, a ridiculous culmination of hackneyed dialogue, hammy over-acting, frankly absurd action and hilariously stupid props, I find most of my wish of the film being real to be justified. It's just stupid fun, where everyone involved was just being as stupid as possible to make something fun. I don't think it's without flaws though, as the pacing does seem a bit wibbly and the plot a bit heavy-handed, but overall it was entertaining. I think between it, Planet Terror and Death Proof, it's probably my least favourite, but I'm glad I watched it.
    I absolutely loved it. Perhaps living in a border state helps with my appreciation? Certainly the negative hype before the movie released about the coming race war was hilarious.

The second movie was also fun, but pretty much more of the same with less gratuitous nudity.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

The Legend of Hercules. Just watched it. I suspect that if I waited a few hours before posting this, I'd forget to include it. It's just not much of anything.

300 - Rise of an Empire. Stylish, but you have to make an effort to overlook some parts of the plot to enjoy it (or to not be annoyed, possibly). Lacks focus.

Kick-Ass 2. Odd and somewhat unpleasant mix of comedy and violence. It's like the type of violence in most of the movie only fits the scenes with Hit Girl and seems off in the rest.

Ong Bak. Seriously, wtf is this? A Muay Thai movie featuring horrendous acting, uninteresting story, generic and one-dimensional characters, topped by some pretty shoddy directing. The action scenes were okay (although nothing special), but suffered from some occasional heavy overuse of instant replays when something supposedly super cool happens (some bits were shown 4-5 times). I gave up eventually. I don't remember who recommended this movie, but I'll find him eventually. I was still in the mood for some Asian action, however, so I watched...

Red Cliff (1&2). It was good, I suppose. Much Chinese. Very visuals. To the moon. The acting had its ups and downs, but I had no problem with it. The story wasn't that impressive, but decent. My experience in Chinese movies is more or less Crouching Tiger and Hero, so it was nice to see one focusing less on superpowers and more on warfare and tactics. Some of it was a little ridiculous, especially a battle in the first part. ("It's an ambush! Let's ride around in it for a while and then stop and do nothing, but for gods sake do not fight back when they stab you!") I mean, let's not allow logic and basic reactions interfere with our awesome setup, amirite? Of course, it didn't help that the big baddie reminded me of his counterpart in Kung Pow (a movie that's so bad it's g... sort of funny on occasion. And proud of it.). It did have some actually intended comic relief, which was godawful. All-in-all, it doesn't hold up to comparison with CTHD or Hero, neither in visuals, nor story or action, but it had its charm. It really didn't have to be five hours long, though.

I really liked Winter's Bone. Big fan of Jennifer Lawrence. She's been great in every role I've seen her in. The rest of the cast was great, as well. Interesting story. The protagonist is no superhero, but a rather normal girl (in an abnormal environment) being pushed by desperation. The pacing was kind of slow, but I really didn't mind. It was nicely shot, both unsettling and beautiful. I really enjoyed the setting, but then I harbour some rather romanticized "back to the nature!" sentiments. It gets the much coveted Fanbuoy Stamp of Approval!

Today, I watched Black Book/Zwartboek, which I also liked. It's a Dutch movie about a Jewish woman during the German occupation, which eventually turns into a bit of a spy thriller. The acting is good, the characters are of varying quality. I really liked the story, which evolved constantly, with new objectives presenting new obstacles. It has some elements of evil for evil's sake, but generally keeps it on a good level. I wouldn't call it a must-see, but I'll recommend it to those who might be interested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    *snip*
    :(

Ugh, one day I'll manage to teach the world how bad Crouching Tiger is, I swear. One-dimensional characters, problematic female roles, painfully obvious it's adapted from a book that comes in the middle of a series, poor choreography, average direction... Red Cliff comfortably eclipses it in pretty much every conceivable way, as do most Asian films over the past thirty years. Its success came from being in the right place at the right time, end of story (as in, a ton of Western audiences who'd never really paid much attention to Asian movies watched it, went "Ooooo, they're flying! How novel! And isn't it pretty?" and didn't think about it any more than that).

Not going to argue too much about Ong Bak, though. While Tony Jaa is a tremendously gifted martial artist and it's fun watching him elbow people in the head I never saw the sequels and have no real desire to watch the first one again, either. I wouldn't be as harsh about it as you, but you can tell Prachya Pinkaew and his peers started out doing quick and dirty Z-grade action flicks and even their bigger-budget efforts don't change things up that much.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    :(

Ugh, one day I'll manage to teach the world how bad Crouching Tiger is, I swear. One-dimensional characters, problematic female roles, painfully obvious it's adapted from a book that comes in the middle of a series, poor choreography, average direction...
    Where's that Sliders pic when I need it...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Where's that Sliders pic when I need it...
    I am unfamiliar with that meme, sorry.

It's not me being contrary, I genuinely think pretty much everything in that film has been done better elsewhere, and that it's frequently held up as a work of genius by people who don't know what they're talking about (for example, the number of people who praised it for bucking some kind of trend by having well-written female characters when 1) they're arguably not, and 2) martial arts/Asian flicks have had well-written female characters for decades, it's just those films didn't get to ride the wave of some dumb ASIA XTREME!!11!1 brand or fleeting mainstream interest in tarted-up exoticism).

Wow, Rooks. You're like the Michael Jordan of wrong opinions. Every week you wonder "How is he gonna top the last one?" and then he just does. I don't mean to antagonize - I am simply in awe.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Wow, Rooks. You're like the Michael Jordan of wrong opinions. Every week you wonder "How is he gonna top the last one?" and then he just does. I don't mean to antagonize - I am simply in awe.
    And yet you're not showing me how those characters are deep, or complex, or well-developed - Zhang Ziyi's character in particular is nothing but a stereotypical movie adolescent stuck in solely to give Michelle Yeo a reason to act holier-than-thou and set up her Big Tragic Moment, she has no inner life of her own - or how the choreography is so special (the wirework for the rooftop chase and the forest fight in particular is mediocre, they might as well be shouting "Whee!" along with trampoline noises in the background, and it pales in comparison next to pretty much any of the big tentpole arthouse martial arts flicks around that time - Hero, House of Flying Daggers, I'd rather watch The Banquet again). ;-) And pointing out CTHD was praised for its groundbreaking female roles without any mention of Asian movies having had beautifully-observed female characters for decades is a statement of fact, so sorry. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    If I remember rightly Hero and House Of Flying Daggers came after Hidden Dragon and was clearly aping a lot of the stylistic choices that the film had as well and advancing those choices.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Yep. Hero came out TWO years after CTHD and Flying Daggers was a good FOUR years after it. The Banquet is SIX years after it.

If any of these movies came out prior to CTHD you might have had a point to make.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I liked CTHD. As I said earlier, that and Hero is pretty much what I knew about Chinese film, so I'd probably fit quite comfortably in the "Ohh, shiny! Ohh, flying!" category, but that category exists because those movies did something that many people hadn't experienced before. I haven't seen either in a long time, so I can't discuss specifics, but I do know that I enjoyed them. Meanwhile, Red Cliff doesn't really do anything new, and so loses the wow factor. It's rather capable in what it does (barring the funny stuff and the "funny" stuff), but it doesn't excel in anything. It's a decent historic war movie, but nothing that makes me want to preach to the uninitiated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Overall, I liked it a lot, and it is actually going to make me give Agents of SHIELD (the shitty TV show) another shot. I think it may be my favorite Marvel Movie yet, but it really isn't a superhero movie (except, maybe, the last twenty minutes). It is really more like a spy/action movie. And considering the title and much of the story is taken from a Brubaker comic (by the way, loved his cameo), that is to be expected.

Purely spoiler free:
    It was kind of... REALLY violent. And I think Steve Rogers was more "super" than any Marvel comics superhero to date. I think, in large part, because he finally got to wail on mooks. When Thor whacks a super-elf with his hammer, the no-sell makes sense. When Stark executes someone with a dart to the head, they drop. When Captain America hits someone, you can almost feel their ribcage shatter and they leave a dent in the wall. It was... interesting, to say the least. Same with a later sequence where an enraged Cap is breaking down doors and slamming against walls. It really felt like a freakishly powerful guy on a rampage.

In essence, all the different types of capes have their own distinct "style". Black Widow is very much about nimble movement and suppressing fire. Cap is all about brutalizing people (which seems kind of wrong, but Marvel Movie U). The Winter Soldier is very clinical and precise.

I liked their take on The Winter Soldier (referred to by his real name from here on out because that is how I think of him in the comics). The costume might very well have been the exact comic costume (mid/late 00s character, so not much change needed) and I really liked the approach the movie took to the domino mask and face mask. Looked like the comics look but "practical" enough to be believable in the real (Marvel Movie) world.

Spoilers begin here:
    And I think I prefer this take on Bucky. While I love the character in the comics (he was the best Captain America), it was always a bit awkward to have him be a child soldier who was all about assassinations and spec ops and got captured. This version works a lot better. He was Steve's childhood friend and his transformation really began when he was captured (during the montage, before the Red Skull fight). The movie did a really good job establishing him as Cap's greatest failure (he was the only Howling Commando to die) in the limited time they had.

I do feel Black Widow had a fun part of her origin story taken away though. At first I thought they just didn't want to go into who she was for time purposes, but she specifically mentions she was KGB in the past, and it looks like Bucky was still working for The Russians, based on the file she got Cap at the end.

Also, I feel Sharon Carter was handled quite well. Her relation to Cap's Lady Love is left as something for the comic book fans (unless she had a nametag I missed), and they do a good job of establishing her. She doesn't have a lot of scenes, but all of them work pretty well to establish her as (in order of appearances): A love interest for Cap, a very sneaky spy, someone who doesn't follow orders blindly, the kind of person who doesn't lead but makes sure that leaders can do what they need to do, and a rather dangerous "badass normal".

Also, I liked them working in Leviathan. Obviously it had to be simplified drastically and I think they blew their load way too fast (would have preferred it spread out over maybe an entire generation of Marvel movies, with a Nick Fury or Winter Soldier movie being used to tie things up. Well, a Daisy Johnson movie optimally, but she can't even get to keep her job one issue after Hickman finishes a run, so she'll never get a movie), but it did a good job of ushering in the "Red" that will be the tone of Avengers 2.

And I really liked Falcon. Didn't feel like a forced character. Was obviously a REALLY big coincidence that Steve's new friend happens to be a super special forces operative, but it still mostly worked and the fact that he had that background explains how he would put two and two together to realize his running buddy was Captain America. The movie kind of dances around it a bit, but it looks like they are basically taking the comic book approach (from probably 80s/90s/00s?) where the world knows Steve Rogers was Captain America and they know what Steve Rogers looks like, but he lives under a false name and most people don't realize the ridiculously fit guy is a superhero. Plus, Falcon's flight scenes were gorgeous. It is one thing to watch Robert Downey Jr float and occasionally thread the needle, but Sam's flying was fluid and beautiful.

Most of spoilers over, but you may still want to skip this:
    And this hopefully explains why Agents of SHIELD was complete shit. It started six months too early and had to spin its wheels to wait until the post-Cap2 status quo was established. Most of my complaints with the tone of the show make sense in light of this movie and, from what I have heard, the show has actually been getting decent (possibly even good) over the past month or two. And yes, I realize I sound like a battered spouse saying "I'm sure he'll change, he was just under a lot of pressure at work".
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

As a non-comic book reader, everything about Bucky felt completely contrived to me. It didn't help that I couldn't shake the image of Kai Leng fighting Captain America.

Okay, so now I've watched House of Flying Daggers, as well. Much like Red Cliff, I liked it, but it didn't really do anything I haven't seen being done better elsewhere. I think I may simply be tired of this type of movies. The fights are visually great and well choreographed, but I feel they're very much style over substance. Logic and reason are thrown to the wind because "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if... they started tiredly elbowing each other for 15 seconds, while their swords are kept idle in their free hands?", etc. The word incredible can be used in two different ways here.

The story was okay. It wasn't quite as predictable as the first five minutes had me believe, but there were no OMG moments either. The ending made very little sense to me. The premise:
    There's a stand-off, where the good guy has a sword, the scorned guy has a throwing dagger and the woman has a dagger in her chest (the removal of which will kill her). Scorned guy wants both others dead, the others want him dead. Good guy drops his sword and moves closer to Scorned guy, in order to prevent Woman from killing herself by throwing her dagger at Scorned guy. Scorned guy fakes a throw, causing Woman to throw her dagger at, erm... a tree, dying in the process. Good guy mourns and Scorned guy walks away.
    None of these actions make sense to me. I mean,
    1) Good guy moving closer: Should Scorned guy decide to throw his dagger at Good guy, it wouldn't have mattered who was closer to whom. He would die either way, so Woman's incentive to throw wouldn't change.
    2) Scorned guy withholding his throw: This would effectively mean that Good guy would be the only survivor, since Scorned guy would be killed by Woman's dagger, while she died from removing it. Why would he want that, when he was previously dead set on killing Good guy?
    3) Woman throwing her dagger at a tree: I'll assume that it was deliberate, since no one had missed a throw previously. I can sort of understand this, though, since she probably didn't actually want to kill Scorned guy, but didn't want to live on with Good guy dead.
    4) Scorned guy walking away afterwards: He had previously thought that he killed Woman and tried to kill Good guy. Now he doesn't want to kill a more or less defenceless Good guy because Woman is dead? However, I can let this slide, since seeing Woman willingly die for Good guy, while sparing him, could understandably change his mind.
    Oh and both Good guy and Scorned guy have multiple cuts and have stabbed each other through the back, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Also, do blind people not blink or was that just something the director used to tell us that she faked her blindness?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The South Park movie, the Trapped in the Closet episode, and 22 chapters of R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet, while drinking and smoking like a Turk. Then I had the weirdest fucking dreams, which looked like South Park and were narrated by R. Kelly. These were followed by absolutely horrible nightmares. I'm feeling suicidal right now. I blame Canada and R. Kelly.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Nope. Rooks is dead-on here. Never much liked CTHD for many of the same reasons.

Also I don't like tragedies in general.