Page 114 of 151 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 3007
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Captain America is by far my favourite part of the avengers movie canon that isn't the avengers film. But I'd like a hulk movie with the avengers actor in, please. The only thing that sort of bothered me about the film (and not really excessively) is how Black Widow has a completely unforeshadowed gadget for every plot difficulty they might encounter. Given the sort of superhero she is they're all in character but it feels a bit cheap. Beyond that, excellent action movie, fun action sequences, silly plot that doesn't apologise for itself or feel slightly ashamed of being a superhero movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    To be honest, The House of the Flying Daggers is not the sharpest dagger on the set, in my opinion. As for CTHD, it's not a masterpiece, but as an introduction to the genre it sure makes you want to see everything else.
    The bit about female characters is totally true, though. Both Wing Chun for example are just great examples of this. It's a different thing, but even The Heroic Trio puts dross like Charlie's Angels and the like to shame.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    To be honest, The House of the Flying Daggers is not the sharpest dagger on the set, in my opinion.
    Indeed. And yet, it scored 89/100 on Metacritic (and that's with a 50 in there). Can you believe it? Could it be that Metacritic is wrong? I don't know what to believe in anymore. It would seem that critics are firmly in the "Ohh, shiny! Ohh, flying!" camp. Because that movie was okay, but it was no masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Indeed. And yet, it scored 89/100 on Metacritic (and that's with a 50 in there). Can you believe it? Could it be that Metacritic is wrong? I don't know what to believe in anymore. It would seem that critics are firmly in the "Ohh, shiny! Ohh, flying!" camp. Because that movie was okay, but it was no masterpiece.
    Well, it has no parallel in traditional Hollywood films. Hell, even non-traditional ones are quite different.
    Chalk it down to reviewer's ignorance. I once (a VERY long time ago) thought that Titanic was a pretty good film, and then I saw anything else and then adjusted my expectations.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    House of Flying Daggers remains a poor example of the wuxia genre. And it suffers being the middle film of Zhang Yimou's unofficial trilogy - Hero and Curse of the Golden Flower. The latter two are simply, better films.
    Last edited by khaz; 07-04-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Ronin 47,decent movie, still can't understand why was keanu Reves necessary ?

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty,what a crappy movie. It got style but thats it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Thor 2. Boring, but it sure looks good. I loved the first one but the sequel has almost none of its wit and style. Still a better movie than The Avengers and Iron Man 2.

Captain America 2. Now tied with Thor and the first Cap as my favourite Marvel movie. Laurence Fishburne's laser welder is straight out of Looney Tunes. This is the first time I like Scarlett Johansson in a movie, but I still wish Emily Blunt played this role.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Thor 2. Boring, but it sure looks good. I loved the first one but the sequel has almost none of its wit and style. Still a better movie than The Avengers and Iron Man 2.

Captain America 2. Now tied with Thor and the first Cap as my favourite Marvel movie. Laurence Fishburne's laser welder is straight out of Looney Tunes. This is the first time I like Scarlett Johansson in a movie, but I still wish Emily Blunt played this role.
    Am I missing a joke here?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Am I missing a joke here?
    Some talk show host mixed up Samuel "Mother fucking" Jackson with Lawrence "I was in Event Horizon and gave Keannu some pills" Fishburne. And Samuel L Jackson has been rolling with it.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Yep. Hero came out TWO years after CTHD and Flying Daggers was a good FOUR years after it. The Banquet is SIX years after it.

If any of these movies came out prior to CTHD you might have had a point to make.
    I'm saying there were other films before CTHD. (You think I don't know in which order those films came out?) I struggle to apologise for not making that clear, on the one hand because I don't like admitting I was being lazy, and on the other because so many of you have terrible taste. :P

At the same time I mention Hero and Flying Daggers again even though they came out after it, because all the Western mainstream critics had plainly decided Ang Lee could do no wrong (seriously, the guy was worshipped by most of the press around that time) - hey, they said, he already fixed everything wrong with Asian movies with CTHD, right? And these new films are okay but they're plainly indebted to CTHD/ripping it off (even now you still get pull quotes for "It's Crouching Tiger meets <whatever>"). I admit the other big-budget films that followed would have struggled to find funding if Ang hadn't shown there was an audience for this kind of thing, but there were decades of Asian film before CTHD which Hero and Flying Daggers and The Banquet were riffing on and these idiots knew absolutely nothing about.

Just off the top of my head, go watch Golden Swallow, go watch A Touch of Zen, go watch the Fong Sai Yuk movies, the Swordsman films, or hell, go watch Peking Opera Blues - one of the greatest Hong Kong films ever made, and one of my favourite movies ever - and see how a film that's more than twenty-five years old and made on probably a tenth of Crouching Tiger's budget (if that) has three female leads all better written, acted, and just more fun to watch than anything I've ever seen Ang Lee do. CTHD did not deserve the attention it got, end of story.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 07-04-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Just off the top of my head, go watch Golden Swallow, go watch A Touch of Zen, go watch the Fong Sai Yuk movies, the Swordsman films, or hell, go watch Peking Opera Blues - one of the greatest Hong Kong films ever made, and one of my favourite movies ever - and see how a film that's more than twenty-five years old and made on probably a tenth of Crouching Tiger's budget (if that) has three female leads all better written, acted, and just more fun to watch than anything I've ever seen Ang Lee do. CTHD did not deserve the attention it got, end of story.
    The fact remains that CTHD came out at a time when the wuxia genre had minimal to zero presence outside of its Asian markets (And the geeks like us in other areas) so ranting about the attention it got is unwarranted. CTHD simply worked for American/European audiences while maintaining the principles of the genre the best it could. And something it doesn't get any credit for is the level of polish the film got - made possible by a higher budget and Ang Lee's pulling power - had a reverse flow back towards Hong Kong.

The examples you listed are superlative examples of genre and are few and far between - although I disagree about the Fong Sai Yuk films as I think they're awful. The vast majority of wuxia films are awful wire-fu actioners pretending to be wuxia films. The 90s were prime example of this and the absolutely fucking shite ones that came out during the early days of CGI/early 00s were scraping the bottom of the barrel.

CTHD went a long way to respecting the genre again.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Ronin 47,decent movie, still can't understand why was keanu Reves necessary ?
    Nor why they had to speak English. Damn producers!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Captain America 2 is good. I still do not understand people leaving before the credits are over. At least awhile ago they moved the important plot credit cookie to after the main credits. They also tend to be more elaborate in the Marvel Universe movies now. The after credits cookie tends to be more comedic but this time it was now. It may or may not be a significant plot point for Avengers 2.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    House of Flying Daggers remains a poor example of the wuxia genre. And it suffers being the middle film of Zhang Yimou's unofficial trilogy - Hero and Curse of the Golden Flower. The latter two are simply, better films.
    I found Curse of the Golden Flower a rather boring film. One of the worst asian films I have watched in awhile.
    I did enjoy House of Flying Daggers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Nor why they had to speak English. Damn producers!
    My favorite thing is how the tatooed Dutch pirate is on all their posters and advertising, but gets 20 seconds of screen time. Also disappointed the giant samurai did not get an epic end fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Captain America 2 is good. I still do not understand people leaving before the credits are over. At least awhile ago they moved the important plot credit cookie to after the main credits. They also tend to be more elaborate in the Marvel Universe movies now. The after credits cookie tends to be more comedic but this time it was now. It may or may not be a significant plot point for Avengers 2.
    Yeah, I actually stopped a few people who were walking past me when I went to see it to tell them there was a second teaser.

And the first one is definitely going to factor into Avengers 2 since that was Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch, sans Magneto. They are both major characters for Avengers 2. The second one is definitely going to factor into later movies and may be a part of Avengers 2, since it is establishing that Bucky is trying to regain his memories. Hopefully they go the route the comics did with Bucky and Nick Fury working together, behind the scenes.

But in both cases, I doubt either would be interesting for a non comic reader. None of the characters shown are particularly well known outside of comics.

In fact, I would go so far as to say the only after-credits teasers that have been worthwhile for non-comic readers are Iron Man 1, Cap 1, and MAYBE Norton-Hulk/Thor. I forget what Iron Man 2's was, but Iron Man 3's was fun but pointless. Avengers, Thor 2, and Cap 2 are pretty much just fan-wanks for those of us who have a background with the comics.
    Last edited by gundato; 07-04-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post

In fact, I would go so far as to say the only after-credits teasers that have been worthwhile for non-comic readers are Iron Man 1, Cap 1, and MAYBE Norton-Hulk/Thor. I forget what Iron Man 2's was, but Iron Man 3's was fun but pointless. Avengers, Thor 2, and Cap 2 are pretty much just fan-wanks for those of us who have a background with the comics.
    Iron Man 2's post credit was Colson in the desert at the location they find mjolnir.

Regarding what happens next, I kind of think they might turn Winter Solider into a tv character instead of trying to keep him in the movies too much. I don't think either the character or the actor are big movie material, but with the right crew I could see it being a fun tv series.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Chris Evans, Cap'n America, is contracted for six Marvel movies. The guy who plays Winter Soldier, Sebastian Stan, is contracted for nine movies. This may not be a coincidence, given where these two particular characters end up in the comics. [/speculation]
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Been working on expanding my knowledge of Akira Kurosawa's films this month. A few highlights:

Rashomon: Very interesting film in which an account of banditry is told several times by different characters each with their own perceptions/agendas. I'm a fan of the "unreliable narrator" device used in written fiction so it was interesting to see it used in film.

Ran: I did not like this film. It came across as tedious, over-moralizing and struggling too hard to be tear-jerkingly epic. I can't understand why this is often considered Kurosawa's best. He is generally not so heavy-handed with his characterizations and most of his films have an well-balanced element of light comedy throughout despite the constant violence and tragedy.

Yojimbo: Re-watched my personal favorite Kurosawa flick which just edges out Seven Samurai for the spot. Kurosawa is in his best element here. No wonder Sergio Leone made a tribute film to this one.

Stray Dog: Starts off slow with a very simple plot -- a gun is missing and must be found -- but turns out to be a real cinematic gem.

High and Low: Surprisingly similar to Stray Dog but not quite as good sadly; this time it's a child that's been kidnapped and must be found. This one is bogged down by political moralizing and far too much filler. I can understand the "message" of the film being relevant to it's intended audience at the time but it has not aged well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Chris Evans, Cap'n America, is contracted for six Marvel movies. The guy who plays Winter Soldier, Sebastian Stan, is contracted for nine movies. This may not be a coincidence, given where these two particular characters end up in the comics. [/speculation]
    While that is possible (and probably a smart move because it gives a good way to teach comic readers that different characters, let alone different actors, can be a superhero) I think it is more that he is a fun "edgy" character who would work perfectly in a supporting character role, akin to how Black Widow was used in Iron Man 2 and Hawkeye was used in Avengers (zing!). And with the aftermath of Cap2, it would work perfectly to have a rogue "wanted by every government on the face of the earth" character pop in.

Just saw 47 Ronin, it wasn't nearly as bad as I often heard. There was some really fantastic shots and sets/costumes, visually it was a treat.

Reeves sticks out like a giant sore thumb. His facial expressions, body language and general carriage all put him in stark contrast with his surroundings. I'm always far quicker to blame the filmmakers rather than the actor for things like this. With proper training and direction they could have gotten a much better performance and maybe even got their money's worth out of him too. He's not a lost cause like Nick Cage and I've seen him do quite well when working with the right directors.

That said, this film would obviously have been better with a different, preferably Japanese, actor. I'm a fan of the cinematic charms of halting engrish so I don't mind the fact that they spoke it since this is just a light fantasy film anyway.