Page 115 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2852
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    Yojimbo: Re-watched my personal favorite Kurosawa flick which just edges out Seven Samurai for the spot. Kurosawa is in his best element here. No wonder Sergio Leone made a tribute film to this one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    The fact remains that CTHD came out at a time when the wuxia genre had minimal to zero presence outside of its Asian markets (And the geeks like us in other areas) so ranting about the attention it got is unwarranted. CTHD simply worked for American/European audiences while maintaining the principles of the genre the best it could. And something it doesn't get any credit for is the level of polish the film got - made possible by a higher budget and Ang Lee's pulling power - had a reverse flow back towards Hong Kong.

The examples you listed are superlative examples of genre and are few and far between - although I disagree about the Fong Sai Yuk films as I think they're awful. The vast majority of wuxia films are awful wire-fu actioners pretending to be wuxia films. The 90s were prime example of this and the absolutely fucking shite ones that came out during the early days of CGI/early 00s were scraping the bottom of the barrel.

CTHD went a long way to respecting the genre again.
    Yeeeeeah if two absolutely stellar comedies with some of Cory Yuen's best choreography count as "awful" to you I don't think we can be friends. :P Also, the vast majority of wuxia films...? I'm not sure how to parse that. Are you one of those people who think wire-work is an automatic black mark against anything? In which case your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. Not to mention I'm not sure what could possibly make up this vast tide of '90s awfulness you're talking about - I'm not denying Hong Kong/China/et al made some truly terrible movies, just I can't instantly think of fifty thousand terrible films that would remotely qualify as wuxia. Sarcasm aside, please, enlighten me - I read about/watched/reviewed Asian flicks for years, but it's not like I saw every film or was especially brilliant at writing about them - although seriously, Christ, if you don't like Fong Sai Yuk I think martial arts isn't really the genre for you. :)

(And I mean that in all seriousness; I could see why someone wouldn't enjoy Peking Opera Blues, but if they called it bad because of those qualities I could argue forever on how they were flat-out wrong to do so. It's goofy, wacky, low-budget and jumps between tonal extremes without warning, but it's also smart, funny, brilliantly choreographed and edited, and Tsui Hark plainly knows exactly what he's doing - every single one of those tonal shifts sees him totally committed to making it work, not just throwing slapstick in for the lulz or drama for cheap shocks or whatever. I don't think Fong Sai Yuk clears that same bar but I seriously think the same point can be made - it can seem jarring to foreign sensibilities but it's plainly not just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.)

Anyhow. I appreciate what CTHD managed to do: it's still a mediocre film that's entirely style over substance which was praised for things it didn't remotely accomplish by people who plainly didn't know what they were talking about, and I've seen nothing in the fourteen years since to make me seriously reconsider my stance.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    It started six months too early and had to spin its wheels to wait until the post-Cap2 status quo was established. Most of my complaints with the tone of the show make sense in light of this movie and, from what I have heard, the show has actually been getting decent (possibly even good) over the past month or two.
    I've heard the same and that the post-Cap 2 episode is the best one so far. You might be onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    is how Black Widow has a completely unforeshadowed gadget for every plot difficulty they might encounter.
    I think you could make an argument that a lot of them are foreshadowed by S.H.I.E.L.D. as an agency having an answer for everything, but there was only one thing I took 'issues' with, the grappling hook to swing under the bridge. Inverted commas because it was too awesome for me to care. I agree on the whole, the film took itself as seriously as it needed, which is something I think the MCU has done an excellent job of doing thus far, a really commendable effort.

But in both cases, I doubt either would be interesting for a non comic reader. None of the characters shown are particularly well known outside of comics.
    I know the main point you were getting at is slightly different, but consider this; Marvel has been able to successfully get into cultural acceptance a god who wields a hammer based off of Norse mythology, alien invasions, a genetically enhanced super human whose name and design couldn't be more patriotic if it tried in a time where fondness for the US overseas isn't exactly stellar and by the end of a year, a gun-toting raccoon. If anyone is going to make non-comic fans aware of the potential in what is shown, it's going to be Marvel.

Which, again, makes me bloody wonder what on earth DC is doing with all its goodies.

Also, it might seem obvious, but I just went to see Captain America 2: Captain Is The Highest Rank. Who'd've thought? And it was really, really great! What a complete turnaround after the first Cap film. I just only wish I had remembered it was half term and going during the day was a stupid, stupid decision.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    A lot of people I know who didn't know who Tony Stark was pre-Iron Man cant wait to see "that gun-rat and tree thing".
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Ahem, I think you'll find it's 'and tree thing voiced by Vin Diesel', thank you very much!

Have you heard how he got the voice-over work for it? It's great. Something along the lines of when GotG was announced, he posted on Facebook saying that he had been contacted by Marvel, as a joke, to suggest he was in the film. They then did actually contact him as a result of his post and offered him the voice work for Groot. So there you go, Vin Diesel showing you how to get a job - pretend like you do already and then you'll be offered it!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I know the main point you were getting at is slightly different, but consider this; Marvel has been able to successfully get into cultural acceptance a god who wields a hammer based off of Norse mythology, alien invasions, a genetically enhanced super human whose name and design couldn't be more patriotic if it tried in a time where fondness for the US overseas isn't exactly stellar and by the end of a year, a gun-toting raccoon. If anyone is going to make non-comic fans aware of the potential in what is shown, it's going to be Marvel.
    I'm still concerned Guardians may be a bit too "out there" (even for comic book readers, DnA's run was kind of "out there"), but yeah.

My main point though is that, when I saw Thanos at the end of Avengers it gave me a bit of happy in the pants. When one of my friends saw him, it was just "Oh, that looks interesting" and no real interest beyond there.

Which, again, makes me bloody wonder what on earth DC is doing with all its goodies.
    Insisting on rebooting the same two characters over and over and over again?

That is actually an interesting point. Iron Man, Cap, and Thor are Marvel's "big three" in-universe, but they were basically completely unknown outside of comics (until the movies). The REAL "big three" are Wolverine, Spider-man, and a team-up between Wolverine and Spider-Man (in large part because of the cartoons over the decades).

DC/WB meanwhile focus on their two core characters (who, admittedly, are insanely well known) at the cost of just about everyone else. And when they DO try to branch out, they do it stupidly (Green Lantern was a perfect opportunity to have "The first superhero movie with an african american lead that hasn't been hunted down by the IRS in the past decade". Instead, they went with a mixture of Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner... Also, they wasted Ryan Reynolds who should never have been allowed near a "serious" role but would have been a perfect Wally West-Flash).

Admittedly, DC got screwed by the Nolan films. They were REALLY REALLY good, but they aren't world builders. The House of Mouse started the current wave with plans to at least build on every movie (I forget if they had Avengers planned before or after Iron Man did so well, but the movie definitely had the right hooks). But constantly failing to reboot Superman is their own damned fault. Especially since that is the one character who they DON'T need an origin movie for.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Ahem, I think you'll find it's 'and tree thing voiced by Vin Diesel', thank you very much!

Have you heard how he got the voice-over work for it? It's great. Something along the lines of when GotG was announced, he posted on Facebook saying that he had been contacted by Marvel, as a joke, to suggest he was in the film. They then did actually contact him as a result of his post and offered him the voice work for Groot. So there you go, Vin Diesel showing you how to get a job - pretend like you do already and then you'll be offered it!
    Yeah. I may not like most of the movies he is in, but Vin Diesel is indeed awesome. And of all the hollywood actors who claim to be "one of us", I have no doubt in my mind that he really is the kind of guy who plays D&D and loves video games and comics.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I'm still concerned Guardians may be a bit too "out there" (even for comic book readers, DnA's run was kind of "out there"), but yeah // My main point though is that, when I saw Thanos at the end of Avengers it gave me a bit of happy in the pants. When one of my friends saw him, it was just "Oh, that looks interesting" and no real interest beyond there. //That is actually an interesting point. Iron Man, Cap, and Thor are Marvel's "big three" in-universe, but they were basically completely unknown outside of comics (until the movies). The REAL "big three" are Wolverine, Spider-man, and a team-up between Wolverine and Spider-Man
    The trailer for GotG that ran before Cap 2 earlier seemed to have enough people interested from audience reaction. It is out there, but they've laid the way quite well. As for Thanos, well, I have no idea who it is, but I think that even if the name holds no weight to you, a being that is living in space and commands various armies and is hunting various artefacts, with only one causing mayhem on Earth, is probably going to make you be interested when necessary for the future.

For your list, I'd add Hulk. Whilst films might not have done the character much favour, he's definitely remained in the cultural memory. Big green dude who sheds his clothes and yells "Hulk smash!"? Easy enough to remember!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Yeeeeeah if two absolutely stellar comedies with some of Cory Yuen's best choreography count as "awful" to you I don't think we can be friends. :P Also, the vast majority of wuxia films...? I'm not sure how to parse that. Are you one of those people who think wire-work is an automatic black mark against anything? In which case your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. Not to mention I'm not sure what could possibly make up this vast tide of '90s awfulness you're talking about - I'm not denying Hong Kong/China/et al made some truly terrible movies, just I can't instantly think of fifty thousand terrible films that would remotely qualify as wuxia. Sarcasm aside, please, enlighten me - I read about/watched/reviewed Asian flicks for years, but it's not like I saw every film or was especially brilliant at writing about them - although seriously, Christ, if you don't like Fong Sai Yuk I think martial arts isn't really the genre for you. :)

(And I mean that in all seriousness; I could see why someone wouldn't enjoy Peking Opera Blues, but if they called it bad because of those qualities I could argue forever on how they were flat-out wrong to do so. It's goofy, wacky, low-budget and jumps between tonal extremes without warning, but it's also smart, funny, brilliantly choreographed and edited, and Tsui Hark plainly knows exactly what he's doing - every single one of those tonal shifts sees him totally committed to making it work, not just throwing slapstick in for the lulz or drama for cheap shocks or whatever. I don't think Fong Sai Yuk clears that same bar but I seriously think the same point can be made - it can seem jarring to foreign sensibilities but it's plainly not just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.)

Anyhow. I appreciate what CTHD managed to do: it's still a mediocre film that's entirely style over substance which was praised for things it didn't remotely accomplish by people who plainly didn't know what they were talking about, and I've seen nothing in the fourteen years since to make me seriously reconsider my stance.
    Corey Yuen's best choreography work was on Dragons Forever, In the line of Duty 2, Shanghai Express and Eastern Condors; not the Fong Sai Yuk films. Hell, even No Retreat, No Surrender 2 was pretty great action wise. Admittedly the Sai-Yuk films are fun dialogue wise but the action is terrible with an over reliance on flying around and not actual fighting. It also commits the crime of not actually showcasing Jet Li's skills unlike in the Once Upon a Time in China series (Upto 3, all the ones after that are woeful).

Peking Opera Blues is a wonderful piece of work as are many other gloriously silly but wonderful films from the 80s - Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain comes to mind in particular. As for the awful films I was thinking about are the likes of The Storm Riders and the ilk it spawned.

And i'll take your view about what genre is meant for me under advisement.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Corey Yuen's best choreography work was on Dragons Forever, In the line of Duty 2, Shanghai Express and Eastern Condors; not the Fong Sai Yuk films. Hell, even No Retreat, No Surrender 2 was pretty great action wise. Admittedly the Sai-Yuk films are fun dialogue wise but the action is terrible with an over reliance on flying around and not actual fighting. It also commits the crime of not actually showcasing Jet Li's skills unlike in the Once Upon a Time in China series (Upto 3, all the ones after that are woeful).
    See, I'll hang my head here like a good little boy and admit I haven't seen a single one of those. ^_^; I still think you're coming across like one of those people who just doesn't care too much for aerial wirework - I like grounded, "real" fighting but I have no problem with flying around if it's done well, which is one reason I criticise CTHD because I really don't think it was. And I like FSY enough - I just put my old DVDs back on to check I wasn't romanticising it - that I struggle to think of any film that could make me think the action in either was sub-par. But at the same time, however much I'd agree or disagree with you overall, there's a ton of HK movies I know are extremely well-regarded that I haven't seen, so seriously, I'll stick those on my list.

(No argument over The Storm Riders, though. Ew.)

(Also, EDIT: If you're wondering why I haven't seen stuff like the films you mention, I only got into Asian cinema around the time of Infernal Affairs, and while I tried to play catchup, I was somewhat hit and miss about it.)
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 08-04-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The headphones scene from the GotG trailer is awful. The mid-credits scene from Thor 2 is beyond awful.

Whilst reading a little more than I should have, I'm led to believe the headphones/music plays a bigger role than might initially seem. Thor 2's was apparently hastily thrown together. Even without knowing that, you could tell watching it.