Page 116 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 3371
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Keep in mind the films I listed are out and out action movies; the only exception being the Once Upon a Time in China films which are wonderful wuxia movies based on Wong Fei-Hong (Probably China's greatest modern day folk hero). The first film in particular is an excellent watch.

I'll point you to these two posts for more martial arts/wuxia films to check out:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...627#post411627

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post389365

Make sure you absolutely watch Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain. It was a direct influence on the brilliant Big Trouble in Little China. There's a few more I can list when i'm done with work.
    I do appreciate the thought, but I'm not quite that out of touch. ;-) I know who Wong Fei Hong is (I get the joke at the start of Fong Sai Yuk), I've seen/I own all three of the original OUATiC movies, and I've seen the original Zu Warriors (as well as the "sequel", God help me). And yeah, I looked up all the ones you mentioned just now, so I note they're "Plot? Was there a plot?" films.

EDIT: Heh, while you clearly know your stuff - I've seen a few of the films you namecheck in your older posts, but not all - again, you do come across as more of a GOD DAMN KIDS, SWANNING ABOUT ON THEIR HIGH WIRES, IN MY DAY FLYING WAS FOR THE BIRDS type. :P No argument on avoiding the older US editions for the most part, though. Christ, I'd love to buy more foreign cinema (of any genre) on iTunes et al - I've sold a couple of hundred DVDs because I got fed up with having so many discs around and I couldn't afford to keep adding to my collection at the same rate. But digital in the UK has next to nothing, rental or purchase. :(
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 09-04-2014 at 07:00 PM.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Obscure Node
    I've been to the cinema the last sunday watching cpt america 2

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I do appreciate the thought, but I'm not quite that out of touch. ;-) I know who Wong Fei Hong is (I get the joke at the start of Fong Sai Yuk), I've seen/I own all three of the original OUATiC movies, and I've seen the original Zu Warriors (as well as the "sequel", God help me). And yeah, I looked up all the ones you mentioned just now, so I note they're "Plot? Was there a plot?" films.

EDIT: Heh, while you clearly know your stuff - I've seen a few of the films you namecheck in your older posts, but not all - again, you do come across as more of a GOD DAMN KIDS, SWANNING ABOUT ON THEIR HIGH WIRES, IN MY DAY FLYING WAS FOR THE BIRDS type. :P No argument on avoiding the older US editions for the most part, though. Christ, I'd love to buy more foreign cinema (of any genre) on iTunes et al - I've sold a couple of hundred DVDs because I got fed up with having so many discs around and I couldn't afford to keep adding to my collection at the same rate. But digital in the UK has next to nothing, rental or purchase. :(
    I'm the first to admit i'm very picky about my wuxia/wire-fu films. Beyond a certain point i'm just sitting there irritated. When done well wuxia films are a work of art; when not done well, they're awful. I struggle to achieve a middle ground with them.

Network Hub
    I have Alex Cross, Cloud Atlas, and The New World sitting on my DVR like unflushable turds.

I need some motivation to hit the handle. Are any of these good?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The New World - Malick; like all of his films ratings or opinions don't apply. You have to see it to know if you like it or not. You are guaranteed stunning cinematography though.

I like Cloud Atlas but I like the Wachowski siblings output (The Matrix sequels aside) so there's bias here.

Not seen Alex Cross.

Network Hub
    I guess I'll check out Cloud Atlas. I like the Matrix movies.

I'll post my score once I watch it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I feel Cloud Atlas is totally an underated gem of a movie it does something really interesting with its connections to the stories, is very fun and funny and says something about storytelling in quite a good way that got to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Its really good movie,saw it in cinema last year with sister and it really surprised us :3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Cloud Atlas is better than the book it's based on.
    The New World is the story of Pocahontas and it's one of the best recent historical movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I feel Cloud Atlas is totally an underated gem of a movie it does something really interesting with its connections to the stories, is very fun and funny and says something about storytelling in quite a good way that got to me.
    I think so too. Even technically it excels. I literally gasped when I saw the credits, many of those characters are really well disguised.
    And Hugh Grant doesn't suck. This is probably their greatest feat as directors. I feel like if Nick Cage made a film with the Wachovskis Hollywood would close down from the awesomeness.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I feel like if Nick Cage made a film with the Wachovskis Hollywood would close down
    Fixed that for you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Nic Cage is an American treasure and I refuse to consort with his detractors.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Nic Cage is an American treasure and I refuse to consort with his detractors.
    Where's that maths formula?
    About how he's a multiplier for a film's awesomeness.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Dirty Harry. Love how pointlessly gleeful the DAs are after letting Scorpio go, in what I'm guessing is a horrible, horrible portrayal of actual law. As for the film itself, it's... fun, I guess? I wasn't expecting the one line to that hammy, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Edit: Courtesy of TVTropes:

A = Movie's Awesomeness Factor without Nicolas Cage
    B = Awesomeness Multiplier of Nicolas Cage = 5
    C = Movie's Actual Awesomeness Factor
    If Nicolas Cage is in the movie then C = BA = 5A, otherwise A=C
    Last edited by wrestledwithgod; 11-04-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Suspiria by Dario Argento. Decent horror movie, it have some thrilling scenes and very good suspenseful music.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Thor the dark world - it was fine as entertainment the characters were cool and especially liked that the three famous asgardian warriors got more screen time. The interactions between the characters were great especially Thor and Loki. Good action, funny lines, alright villian I mean what more do you need? Will say its a weaker movie then Iron Man 3 but not that weak.

I watched The Machine. The first scene interests me the most since foreshadows the whole thing and puts it in a nut. Everything is red(dresses, lights,sunsets and the wwhole bloodshed thiing). It's also a realistic depiction pf my current relationship with toichscreen technology.
    Last edited by Wenz; 13-04-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I missed the trailer for Edge of Tomorrow. I may just grab the novel before the movie comes out. (and hope the translation is not to poor). Time loops, exo skeletons, sci fi, alien invaders. Sounds good to me.

I'm trying to get my hands on "Black Coal, Thin Ice" but it seems i' ll have to wait until the end of the month.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Caligula Unrated. It's funny and weird and I liked it. Caligula as portrayed here did nothing wrong lol.