Page 117 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 2592
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I saw all the Indiana Jones films during Easter.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is not bad, but it's not a masterpiece either. Nazis played straight is boring as hell, but the rest of the film makes up for it. Marion and Sallah are just great.
    Temple of Doom is absolute dross. A Dumb Blonde, the freaking Engrish kid, child workers in India can only be saved by the American guy, pointless violence and gore. At least the effect are cool, the minecart ride is really cool.
    The Last Crusade is the best of them all, mainly because Sean Connery. It's just an amazing duo, him and Junior. A lot of spiritual nonsense, but doesn't detract from it. I would just cut out the young Indy stuff, but that's just me.
    The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is almost as good as The Last Crusade. It gets a lot of flak unjustly, but it's not only true to form, it has a cast that dwarfs the others in terms of awesomeness and acting skill, Harrison Ford absolutely nails it even with extra 20 years, Shite LaBeef is actually bearable. It's a perfect storm. Add to that the amazingness of the fridge scene, and you get a great film.

All and all, the Indiana Jones franchise are not the best Indiana Jones films. I personally prefer the Mummy trilogy (no Rachel Weisz, doesn't count), and even the Jackie Chan versions beats Temple of Doom.
    /puts flameshield on
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I saw all the Indiana Jones films during Easter.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is not bad, but it's not a masterpiece either. Nazis played straight is boring as hell, but the rest of the film makes up for it. Marion and Sallah are just great.
    Temple of Doom is absolute dross. A Dumb Blonde, the freaking Engrish kid, child workers in India can only be saved by the American guy, pointless violence and gore. At least the effect are cool, the minecart ride is really cool.
    The Last Crusade is the best of them all, mainly because Sean Connery. It's just an amazing duo, him and Junior. A lot of spiritual nonsense, but doesn't detract from it. I would just cut out the young Indy stuff, but that's just me.
    <scene missing>

All and all, the Indiana Jones franchise are not the best Indiana Jones films. I personally prefer the Mummy trilogy (no Rachel Weisz, doesn't count), and even the Jackie Chan versions beats Temple of Doom.
    /puts flameshield on
    It's so cool that you watched all the Indy movies over easter! While I don't agree with you that the Mummy trilogy is better, I really enjoy the Mummy trilogy too and had a great time watching it as a youngster. It was a good imitation for a new generation.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    It's so cool that you watched all the Indy movies over easter! While I don't agree with you that the Mummy trilogy is better, I really enjoy the Mummy trilogy too and had a great time watching it as a youngster. It was a good imitation for a new generation.
    The Mummy trilogy is a pet favourite, mainly because I watched it first(and Rachel Weisz). Indy is old hat (hohoho).
    I wanted to see them with my little sister, but the damn whipper-snappers don't care about old films!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I think Mummy 1 is great and Mummy 2 is alight, Mummy 3 is crap though. I agree with Doom I have no idea why people like it, the woman is annoying, the kid is annoying and racist and the plot just isn't all that great. But Indy 4 is very forgettable and is no patch on the others, I wouldn't say its terrible like I think Doom is terrible but its very mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    B-but it's dark!

Honestly, I could never put my finger on exactly why I hated Crystal Skull. Ford's age, LaBeouf, aliens, the fridge, and all the rest of the film's stupid shit shouldn't be enough to outright kill it. It somehow still did for me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I think Mummy 1 is great and Mummy 2 is alight, Mummy 3 is crap though. I agree with Doom I have no idea why people like it, the woman is annoying, the kid is annoying and racist and the plot just isn't all that great. But Indy 4 is very forgettable and is no patch on the others, I wouldn't say its terrible like I think Doom is terrible but its very mediocre.
    Mummy 3 is the chinese one, yeahh, it's bad, but not Temple of Doom-bad. Just So Okay it's Average.
    I just think Crystal Skull got a lot of undeserved flak. It's not THAT bad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah I think ?Mummy 3 and Indy 4 are pretty similar not really that bad but really mediocre.

I just think Crystal Skull got a lot of undeserved flak. It's not THAT bad.

I do to, I definitely think the internet really exaggerated the whole you raped my childhood angle...please! When I watched it the story was actually interesting and Indy before he was with Shia Lebouf actually still had it...but then Shia Lebouf came and there was something missing with their dialogue wasn't that snappy...the action scenes were still quite watchable though so yeah...not that bad. Also the fridge scene is kind of alright...yes he probably wouldn't survive but theres a few things in the other indys that he wouldn't survive. Its actally quite a clever moment in the scene I really don't get the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    the fridge scene is kind of alright...yes he probably wouldn't survive but theres a few things in the other indys that he wouldn't survive. Its actally quite a clever moment in the scene I really don't get the hate. [/COLOR]
    It reached memetic levels. New Vegas had a fridge with a fedora near Goodsprings.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The fridge scene is the only good part of the movie IMO.
    I wish they made a 4th Mummy - in South America - instead of a reboot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    It's so cool that you watched all the Indy movies over easter!
    You stole my joke via your quoting! Even if I actually saw this thread way later and merely scrolled down and saw you do it.

There seem to be a lot of incorrect opinions on this page, it's rather concerning. I can't comment on The Mummy vs. Indiana Jones, but I will say that I've only seen the first Mummy and it was good fun. Certainly not amazing, but fun!

Anyhow, Temeple of Doom, despite being a bit racist, is good! Not as good as Raiders or Crusade, but I think it has its charm and plays its action beats well. It was annoying, but a little bit funny having the lead female be the complete opposite to Marion and the kid was probably Spielberg's idea, but he gave the film some heart. I think it still holds up pretty well.

Now, let me tell you why Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a crock of pure, unmitigated shite.

Indiana Jones, the person, is less a character and more an idea in a similar way to James Bond. Indiana Jones is a Man, capital M because god dammit, he just is. He's smart, but approachable. Serious, but easily able to see the humorous side. He wants to win, not because of fame and fortune, but because his principles dictate that it's the right thing to do in the situation he's in. He's not the strongest, but he's determined. And so on and so forth. By making this construct be older, you actually open up a lot of avenues to twist how his character is.

Except none of that was done, apart from "I'm getting too old for this." Funny enough, if you hadn't seen the trailers feverishly in anticipation of god damn Indiana Jones (!!!), but it's the only instance of it in the film. The conversation in the diner was well framed for having him in a room full of young people and his aversion to actually fighting there and getting Mutt - and what kind of bloody name is Mutt anyhow??? - to do it, but that wasn't really enough. That said, the diner sequence was good, as well as the chase sequence after it.

You know what wasn't good though? Was when Indiana Jones being chased by people who probably want him dead stops to give a student advice. This is the same Indiana Jones who, when swamped with questions in a non-threatening position jumped out the window of his office leaving them all there. Is this the same person?

While we're talking about people, how about we talk about Sir Who Changes Sides A Lot. God that was a messy intro, introducing the main villian, a recurring character and the MacGuffin all in one (at least Raiders introduced Belloc in a way that made him seem like a recurring rival and establishes his character well). Our established characters in the opening are person who changes sides a lot and lady who has ability, but oh wait, she can't do it. GREAT! I'm sure she's going to be totally fucking effective. Hint: She's not totally fucking effective.

Anyhow, action sequence that then ends with Indiana Jones being questioned because that makes sense. Why is his loyalty to the state being questioned to begin with? He fought the Nazis regularly and has clearly only shown to be Good. Christ. Okay, another action sequence with CG moles or whatever the hell they are. Now, a lot of people go with the fridge scene "Well, God shows up at the end of Raiders." You know why God showing up at the end of Raiders makes sense? Because you've got the majority of the film building up to this one moment, all handled with revere and mysticism so when it finally happens, you're not surprised that crazy stuff happens. With Crusade, you have an entire sect designed to stop the retrieval of the Grail. They do their best to kill Indy and anyone else. It's clearly important. Also, Indy beats a tank with a horse so he's already better than Jesus. ANYHOW.

So whilst the frame of setting the nuke off makes sense in the context of the time frame, there's little build-up and it was used because it was the right time era and so sure, let's test out a nuke. The film lost perspective right there and then. God and Grail were the last moments of each film. We have Indy: Nuke Survivor early on. Oh. He also survives riding on a jet engine at some point because, again, it's the right era so we have to include the tech. You know what I call that? Padding. See: every bloody ship taking off/landing in Star Wars episodes 1 through 3. And yeah, I'm comparing Kingdom to those turds.

So diner scene, good action sequence because it's paced well and interestingly done, blah blah. Then they travel somewhere to get some information about a...thing. I'm never really clear what happens in that part of the film. Also, Mutt has fencing training because Marion, last seen as a bright, but spunky young woman who fights by out-drinking her opponents makes Mutt learn fencing. (Her then suggesting him moves later was HILARIOUS given that she could've just, you know, driven to the side a little bit on the paths that magically appeared in the forest ahead of the tree clearer.) So then they go somewhere and I don't know, they kill Mayans or something and we have the painfully dull delivery of "Teacher. Part time." Blergh.

Also, he fires a poison dart back at its shooter by blowing into the pipe. That makes almost as much sense as God appearing.

Then Russians and the head and the psychic lady who isn't actually psychic and then MARION! whose sole purpose of the film is to tell Indy Mutt is his son. She drives a bit. Bit of a step-back from trying to help Indy and use her smarts back in Raiders, eh? Then I'm Mad person turns up to be mad and they break out and Indy is surprised that they get the Russians to help because who the hell else is around? Also there's a snake because they had to remind people, the same people who were excited about going to see Indiana Jones back on the screen, that he is afraid of snakes. It's like the fan-service of having a double-sided lightsaber, except not as cool or voiced by Peter Serafinowicz.

Then we have the atrocious jungle sequence. I mean just axe all of that. None of it at all is good. The CG, the Shia La Rubbish McPants, the Marion unable to do anything. The flesh eating ants were okay, I suppose. Also, the surviving the waterfall by the car bending the tree like a Looney Tunes short, except it lacked the in-your-face "BOING!" to drive home that it's being overly silly. More Mayans and Turny Mc. Bad Dude Sometimes leads the Russians who get down a waterfall very easily to catch up and kill them all then ALIENS! Then Turnabout Okay Man doesn't mind that he's going to die because he's being greedy and what? Film ends with Mutt being suggested as taking up the lead, except he has the charisma of a baked potato with no ingredients and cooked for way too long so that even the insides have started going a little brown.

The pacing was pants, the characters were mostly terrible, the dialogue was shoddy and the action lacked any weight to it. In short: it does not exist, there are only three Indiana Jones films and Young Indiana Jones which should've been enough warning to us that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a bad idea.

(Disclaimer: Of course there are no wrong opinions and I'm being a bit silly. But I do think it is a properly shit film that, were I someone who was instructing a class of people on "How to make films", I would show them in an effort to extra what little good there is in it and to avoid the rest.)
    Last edited by The JG Man; 25-04-2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: I got angry and made lots of spelling mistakes