Page 120 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 2648
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Is the twist in the Sixth Sense actually that impressive? I guessed it from the trailers at the time.

The thing with the twist in Fight Club is that it's not really a twist for twisting's sake. It just layers into the plot way more meaning and subtext. Lots of films with twists are just doing it for an OMG moment without it actually being all that important to the plot.

Also lots of love for Dredd, it really captures the comics. You can imagine that whole film being around 4, 6 page comics.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    You know a film is great when you can watch it knowing the twist first hand and it still be a good movie. Fight Club, Sixth Sense, Unbreakable(especially Unbreakable!), Citizen Kane are all good even if you know the twist.
    Can't have that list without The Usual Suspects. Probably watched it five or six times and the twist is still delicious.

Oh, and another thumbs up for Dredd.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, Dredd is quite amazing. And it is definitely a love letter to the comic series, right down to Dredd never removing his helmet on camera.

For a movie with an eerily similar plot, less sci-fi, and more batshit insane fight scenes, watch The Raid: Redemption.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah, Dredd is quite amazing. And it is definitely a love letter to the comic series, right down to Dredd never removing his helmet on camera.

For a movie with an eerily similar plot, less sci-fi, and more batshit insane fight scenes, watch The Raid: Redemption.
    And then watch The Raid 2. Which is even better than The Raid. Not that The Raid is crap, its a brilliant movie. But the second is just better.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    And then watch The Raid 2. Which is even better than The Raid. Not that The Raid is crap, its a brilliant movie. But the second is just better.
    I've heard that, but waiting for rental/blu-ray since I tend to not like going to theatres.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

There's a Raid/Raid 2 double bill on at the retro cinema in London next month so am going to see them both for the first time then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You're in for a treat. But also the second one is longer than the first, so if there's a break between I'd use that time wisely.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    There's a Raid/Raid 2 double bill on at the retro cinema in London next month so am going to see them both for the first time then.
    /jealous

They also serve beer and pizza in the cinema. Win!

Also everyone go see Frank, it is amazing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I watched the new Godzilla.
    Overall I liked it. The effects are really nice and all, but there's a lot of uninteresting fluff.
    Boring McProtagonist and his family are just too cliché. The big names either last for half an hour, or are resorted to "mouth agape" roles (Watanabe). Someone should really have stopped the director from watching Cloverfield, there's some of those anoying shots where you can't really understand what's going on. That could work if the TITLE of the movie didn't reveal all there is to know. I was just there for Godzilla.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Is the twist in the Sixth Sense actually that impressive? I guessed it from the trailers at the time.
    That is exactly why I avoid trailers like the plague. They are stupid spoilerfests more often than not.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It is an awesome twist, very very well handled. I don't remember seeing the trailer, but I guess seeing the whole movie condensed into 1 minute might make it more obvious. It wasn't (and yet totally was, hence being great) when watching the movie.

But then, sometimes our brain just makes a leap and we spot a twist coming, but noone else does.

Robocop (2014). Well, that was certainly pointless. Like they couldn't be bothered to do a proper remake, but didn't dare to make something original either. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Robocop (2014). Well, that was certainly pointless. Like they couldn't be bothered to do a proper remake, but didn't dare to make something original either. Weird.
    I watched the original tonight for the first time since I was a wee lad. I don't really see what all the fuss is about, but then again, I didn't really delve into any deep analysis of the movie's themes.

I wonder if 30 years from now, today's movies will look as dated as 80's action movies do now.

Yesterday, I watched Oldboy (Korean version). It sure is good, but it isn't the masterpiece people had told me it is (IMO of course). Interesting story, sort of reminded me of A Serbian Film in some ways. It mixed things up and kept me guessing most of the way through. And it may be confirmation bias, but there seemed to be quite a few references to Scandinavia throughout (occasionally pulling me out of the story (Eva von Ljungberg? That's like being called James of Jones (which would be awesome))). It's definitely a good thriller, but I feel that it would probably not hold the same status if it was American.

The day before, I watched American Hustle. For some reason, I was under the belief that it was some sort of humoristic semi-musical about the prohibition era. Turns out I was wrong. It's a good movie, but I was more in the mood for the the first concept. It did make me smile on occasion, but it was hardly a story about sunshine and roses. Really interesting plot, although it was on the verge of being a little too stretched out. Great acting, as anticipated. Could've used more Jennifer Lawrence. Every movie could use more Jennifer Lawrence.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Godzilla 1998, rewatched for the first time in many years.

Incredibly dumb but the monster action and French dudes deliver. I like the rainy atmosphere, it's so cozy! The monster shows up 40 minutes into the movie but it all went by so fast it felt like 15.
    Seriously, those chases are fantastic.

Godzilla 2014
    It's amazing. A good balance between the dark tone of the original movie and the monster circus of the other ones. The teasing was exceptional - it shows just enough to keep me wanting more without being annoying. The payoff is just... Holy fucking shit. Some of the imagery is stunning. The characters are very simple but they're well acted and they do a perfect job at pushing the story forward. Compared to Pacific Rim, Godzilla '98 or most Japanese Godzillas, this is a very efficient machine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Re-watched Jalla! Jalla! last night, a rather lovely Swedish film from 2000. It's a romantic comedy, sort of, about arranged marriage and one man's dick. Director/writer Josef Fares is probably better known around these parts for collaborating with Starbreeze on Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and I haven't seen any of his later films, but this one is very good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Yesterday, I watched Oldboy (Korean version). It sure is good, but it isn't the masterpiece people had told me it is (IMO of course). Interesting story, sort of reminded me of A Serbian Film in some ways. It mixed things up and kept me guessing most of the way through. And it may be confirmation bias, but there seemed to be quite a few references to Scandinavia throughout (occasionally pulling me out of the story (Eva von Ljungberg? That's like being called James of Jones (which would be awesome))). It's definitely a good thriller, but I feel that it would probably not hold the same status if it was American.
    They did remade it and it was panned. Still, I think the Korean version is really good, but I skipped the American remake.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Oh, its reputation got way overblown, what with excitable word of mouth and the whole AZN EXTREME CINEMA!!11!1! fad. It's a great, great film with two stunningly talented actors in the lead (EDIT: Well, one stunning, one very good) but it's not without its flaws. The stars have done better elsewhere and there's countless Asian movies that are markedly better that never got the same push in the West, if they ever got picked up in the West at all. Never saw the remake, though I did like the casting.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Activated Node
    Its the elevator and corridor scene that, for me, made it worth the watch. The whole twisted story with the villain was just... well... twisted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    The corridor scene is sublime, but overall the film is let down by a climax that isn't nearly as clever or interesting as its premise.

I much prefer Sympathy for Mr Vengeance overall, although it is lacking a corridor scene.