Page 124 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 2853
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Hellboy, RED and Avengers Assemble were all good as well.

Sin City (comics before the film which are a copy) is just kind of unpleasant. It's better written than 300 and the Dark Knight Strikes Again, or god forbid All-star Batman and Robin. But it really marks the point where Frank Miller started to become some insane hateful libertarian.

I've never watched Dark City. Should I?

I didn't enjoy Sin City either. Did I perhaps have a more negative experience of it due to watching the director's cut before the theatrical version, what with the DC arranging the films' segments in a different method?
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Yes. It feels like proto-matrix sometimes but it's quite good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I just rewatched Sin City last night; it's still a great movie in my opinion. Sure, it's all style, but sometimes that's enough.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Yes. It feels like proto-matrix sometimes but it's quite good.
    It's up there with The Matrix. The cast is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    ...Timecop? Are we counting Tank Girl now too?
    What's wrong with Tank Girl? I liked it...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Me too. But, then again, I liked Time Cop too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dark City is quite good, because it's extremally moody movie. The ending is kinda cheesy, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I think the cheesy ending kind of works and it just goes to show you can get away with it if it feels right for your character which it did. Great movie along with Thirteenth Floor and The Matrix, 2000s had a mini neo noir movement about the nature of humanity weirdly.

Just caught Days Of Future Past and it was pretty good. It definitly focuses on Charles and Eric relationship like most of the Bryan Singer movies but its an interesting relationship so I don't blame them. I kind of wished it would also focus on Dinklage's Trask character since he was giving real hints about him maybe wanting to experiment on mutants so he could have their power and hating them because he didn't have them. I might be right off base there but that's the vibe I got from how he was playing it. All the great character moments are still there with some interesting action, Quicksilver was great but don't get why he couldn't of stayed on. Also Magneto picking up the Stadium is completely ridiculous even for him. I really liked it and can't wait for the next movie though I wonder which era characters they are going to use for it...because I actually don't mind which era they use because I love both of them.

End credit spoilers If that's Apocalypse then its definitely a different more human grounded version which is interesting...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I don't remember it well, but is it anything to do with the comics other than the name?

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    End credit spoilers
    Yes, it is. It'd be interesting to see where they go with that.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    There are two versions of Dark City: One that begins with the lead character's awakening, and allows us to follow his nightmarish quest to unravel what is happening, and one that "explains" the basis of the entire plot before we even meet him (*facepalm*).

You absolutely want to see the first version if you can, but I don't know how to tell them apart. The second version is right up there the narration in Blade Runner as one of the grossest misplays in movie history IMO. Some studio execs must have felt the first version was too confusing for "idiot" audiences, but we know who the idiots usually are.

I was lucky enough to catch the first version when I saw it in the theater, and when I rented it a few years later to rewatch it the DVD was of the second version. I thought I was having a stroke.

Just caught the Need For Speed movie, which I was completely expecting to be in the "ham-y so-bad-its-good" territory, but I have to say it surprisingly enjoyable, in like a "legitimately good" way. The car action is all really well done, and a lot more of a joy to watch than in the Fast and Furious series. The Plot is pretty standard cliche stuff, which you can almost entirely glean from the trailers, but I did find it to be a lot more believable (and again, enjoyable) than the shit that goes on in the Fast and Furious franchise.

The acting was decent enough, with the supporting cast being enjoyable enough to make up for the leading man's silent brooding. I should probably mention that I might be bias because of Imogen Poots (I seem to like everything she's in).

Not sure if anyone else here has seen it, but I would definitely rate it a "Pleasant Surprise".

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Caught the new X-Men movie. Not terribly impressed here. I don't think it's a better movie than the 3rd X-Men film that everyone seems to hate (myself included). It has less personality than First Class. Too mopey for me. Not a lot of great character moments, honestly. Magneto was kind of two-dimensional in this one. Just evil instead of extremely driven and uncompromising. Didn't like the future death stuff or most of the CG character work, which seemed straight out of xbox.

I dunno, man. Kitty Pryde's power made no sense, and why even use a character like Quicksilver if you're going to make him unrecognizable. Singer wins like no fanpoints from me.

Robert Altman's California Spilt. This one came out of left field - had never heard of it. I'm very pleased to have taken a gamble on it, in my humble opinion it's Altman's best (just edging out McCabe and Mrs. Miller) and the most interesting film about poker I've yet seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Playtime (1967)
    Interested. I'll keep an eye out for a copy.
    Last edited by crazy horse; 06-06-2014 at 04:58 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Lego movie,nothing special at all yet you people went horsecrazy about it. Same with latest Game Of Thrones episode,and xmen movie..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Edge of Tommorrow. While not the exact same as the book I thought it did the time looping well. You knew whenever it was on a new loop and got the feel of someone going through the same thing over and over again while trying to progress through it. Kinda like a video game with no saves or checkpoints. To bad the ending went all Hollywood instead of the good conflicted ending in the book. Really needs an alternative ending on disc.
    Last edited by Moraven; 09-06-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I loved Edge of Tomorrow. Never doubt The Cruise Missile. Emily Blunt is awesome as always. All these dumbass teenage girls going to that cancer movie miss out on a fantastic female character...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Went to see the new X-Men last night and it was really a bit of a non-event. For a movie with such an incredibly last cast, barely any of them do anything or get any screen time. I thought they'd have a bit more back and forth between the past and the future, but they quickly did away with any notion of that when it became apparent that the entire future part of the movie would take place in a random temple in the mountains.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    also found this a little disappointing I mean the film is sold on the two eras coming together but really the future era is just a plot mcguffin for the past era and it is mostly stuck in the past with a few tense it might not work out in the future scenes. I still liked the movie but yeah its a little disappointing that it wasn't fully what I thought it was going to be which was these two era X-men going on an adventure together and stopping something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Yeah apart from that one scene, there is no interaction at all between the two eras. I was more excited by the post credits bit than the rest of the movie.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID