Page 125 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 2838
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got around to seeing Godzilla. It was alright, but why wasn't Watanabe the lead? You could have made an entirely more interesting film of him studying the monsters and figuring out Godzilla would fight them and piss off than have him just have a hunch and squander a ton of time on a boring character as the lead.

And also, it's Godzilla, not jaws. Feel free to show me the monster doing cool things, that's what I paid to see. I'd take your 'oh it's better when you don't see it' if it was a horror film. It wasn't. It's like not showing the nazis in a ww2 film.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Carrie, the one from '76.
    Even though people are dressed like loons, it's still a very powerful film.
    EDIT: Wait, Chris was that cop from Robocop?

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I got around to seeing Godzilla. It was alright, but why wasn't Watanabe the lead?
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tNotTooForeign
    Last edited by somini; 10-06-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Saw Edge of Tomorrow yesterday. Fun movie, good casting and performances, enjoyable overall, but not great. I think it just didn't surprise me enough, or maybe the trailer gave away too much. The powered armor seems cumbersome and slow, which is the opposite of how it's supposed to work. Also, as usual, it's entirely teal & orange :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I just saw Days of Future Past. Which I enjoyed but it wasn't a good film, it totally had all the cake and ate it. It was a reboot and tying up of loose ends and not great on its own. But if there is another X-Men movie with Patrick fucking Stewart in it, then it's all worth it. So yeah more fan service but as a fan I kinda dug that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Saw Edge of Tomorrow. I spoil nothing more than the trailer, but I feel even that is too much of a spoiler

I definitely agree the trailers gave away too much (knowing it was Groundhog's Day meets Space D-Day going in ruined a pretty good surprise), but I liked it. Reminded me a lot of Looper (also with Emily Blunt acting her ass off) in that it was a sci-fi movie with a strong plot and really good actors that wasn't afraid to explore the actual sci-fi aspect of it, but it also never lost track of the plot. There is a lot of quite good action, but at its core it is a sci-fi movie that has a large emphasis on considering the ramifications of the Groundhog's Day loop. But, at the same time, they don't stop to rock the exposition. It is little stuff like Tom Cruise's character having memorized guard patterns and the like, as well as the trial and error way he tries to keep Emily Blunt's character alive.

And, like I said, the acting is amazing. Emily Blunt should be in all sci-fi movies that aren't afraid to admit they are sci-fi (rather than just "X in space"), and I find I am REALLY liking Tom Cruise over the past few years once he stopped needing to "branch out" as an actor and has settled in to acting the living hell out of movies that are probably "beneath" him. Similar to Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman. Yeah, doing a super fancy arthouse movie with a legendary director is great, but giving an amazing performance in a summer blockbuster is probably better for your career AND is a lot more fun.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot and I hope Cruise continues to do stuff like this and Mission Impossible. He is a great actor and he seems to be at his best when he isn't taking the movie all that seriously (at least, not as serious as something like Eyes Wide Shut).

NOW the spoilers start:
    Blunt rocked the hell out of her role. She was definitely believable as a veteran of a truly hellish war. And especially one who has lived her own loop. I also give the writers a lot of credit for, mostly, focusing on her as a warrior first and a woman second. Yeah, she has that ridiculously sexy moment where she, sweaty in a kevlar tanktop, arches her back to stand up. And Cruise's character definitely keeps trying to protect her, but she also keeps telling him to piss off whenever he tries to do that. I felt that the director (and writers) did a great job of balancing the "Holy shit she is awesome" with the horrific gut punch of seeing her dead on the ground.
    Same with Cruise. the opening bit was rather shitty, but once he settled in to his role as the looper of the story he managed to hit every mark. He snarked, he showed a great progression from fish out of water to hardened badass, and he also pulled off the scenes where he needed to seem completely broken and hopeless.

That being said: to compare this to Groundhog's Day, Cruise never hit the emotional high of Bill Murray frantically trying to save the old man, but he did cause some Feels when he was pleading with Blunt's character to not start the helicopter.

Overall, I felt the movie was good. I do think there were some issues, likely due to editing. In particular, when Cruise's character gives up all hope it is stitched together with a montage of him being a badass in training and Blunt's character reassuring him by telling him that he is an awesome fighter. Except, if he had truly lost all hope I don't think he would still be training...

The ending was great up until the last five minutes. I loved the suicide run where the redshirts we barely ever saw were suddenly a wonderful team. It was contrived, but there is also a good argument that they weren't necessary so I am okay with it. And I loved the last moment between Blunt and Cruise as they prepared to go on their respective suicide missions. The kiss kind of came out of nowhere (until then, Blunt's character had shown no interest in Cruise and the "thawing ice queen" doesn't work when she resets every 24 hours...), but it was also expected because Hollywood. And it DOES make sense that getting coated in Omega-juice would give more time travel powers, but it also shines a light on a pretty big issue with the mechanics of the movie:

Why does Alpha-juice only let Cruise time travel back to when he woke up on the dock? Presumably, he might have caught some z's after training and before dropping (it seems like D-Day was 24 hours after he woke up), and there were a few times that he lived for a few hours after D-Day and plenty of times that he died before it even started. Yet he always woke up at the exact same time. Yet Omega-juice clearly lets you warp back even earlier while keeping some events as having happened (death of Omega Mimic).

Also: Fuck the last 10 seconds with Cruise rocking his pretty-boy grin.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post

NOW the spoilers start:

Why does Alpha-juice only let Cruise time travel back to when he woke up on the dock? Presumably, he might have caught some z's after training and before dropping (it seems like D-Day was 24 hours after he woke up), and there were a few times that he lived for a few hours after D-Day and plenty of times that he died before it even started. Yet he always woke up at the exact same time. Yet Omega-juice clearly lets you warp back even earlier while keeping some events as having happened (death of Omega Mimic).
    Mega-spoilers:

Here's how I see it:

Cage dies on the beach at, say, 9 AM. He absorbs the blood of an Alpha and replaces it in the alien system, that hivemind the scientist was talking about. The checkpoint goes back 24 hours into the past, exactly at the "maggot" part.

Then Cage dies in Paris at 7 AM instead of getting to the beach. He absorbs the blood of the Omega and replaces it in the system. The reset is triggered because the Omega dies. This checkpoint goes back 24 hours into the past, during the helicopter ride.

The blood is what enables time travel. The system only checks for the blood, not for the creature. The blood is a save token carried around by Alphas, who presumably kill themselves just like Rita and Cage whenever something goes wrong.

When the carrier dies the token creates a checkpoint 24 hours into the past.

When Cage blows himself up and when the Omega explodes, the system doesn't realise the original carrier creature dies. It's mingled together with the human in the explosion. The token is transferred, then Cage dies last and the reset is triggered. To explain the final reset, the system either keeps working for a while without the brain (like a chicken with its head cut off) and triggers it automatically, or the Omega starts the process but dies before it's complete.

The checkpoint is locked to a specific carrier and at a fixed location in time, so that's why Cage keeps waking up at the "maggot" part whenever he dies.

The Omega can overwrite this setting, otherwise some dumbass Alpha could keep resetting the war to day 1 for all eternity. But now he knows that one of the save tokens is in the blood of a human. Humans almost entirely lack the telepathic abilities of the mimics so the carrier can't be easily found. After many resets, the Omega finally broadcasts a message with visions of a false hideout which reaches Cage's brain. These visions are engineered so that the human will reach that place and the aliens waiting in ambush will know for sure that this specific human must bleed out in order to erase the save token.

The final reset happens and the Omega is erased from the timeline just like the Alpha on the beach. This is the power surge mentioned. Cage has Omega's blood but not its telepathic abilities, so all the mimics shut down.

If the reset is automatic as I wrote above, Cage might still have the power to go back in time. If the reset command must go through the Omega's alien brain, then Cage can't trigger it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Watched RoboCoptwentyfourteen last night. I really didn't hate it and found it to be not-an-atrocity. It was some decent fun overall. Not great, but not the abomination that people say. Then again, I never got what was so spectacular about the first one either; I mostly thought it was a bit silly, and could sadly not help reacting to the dated sfx.

That said, I'm quite sure (as in 99 % convinced) that they made a really stupid mistake, that I don't think is a spoiler unless you don't know about the origins of RoboCop, but I'll white it out anyway, so be weery wary. Granted, the transformation into RoboCop is handled a bit differently in the remake, but the premise is the same. Here goes: They forgot which hand was left intact. When he first wakes up as RoboCop, his left hand is human, while his right is robotic. Later on (I think from his introduction to the weapons guy, or whatever he is, onward), his right hand is human. Although, for some reason, he still used his left hand to say hello, which was weird and probably what made me realize the switch. Dumb.

Aside from that, the movie didn't stink. I think it was more "big greedy corporation" focused than the original and the message that robots isn't the answer to all our problems *cough* drones *cough* didn't have to be yelled so loudly, but it's fine. It sure wasn't as gory as the original, for better or worse. The way Joel Kinnaman speaks really irked me, however. His English is fine, I just think his way of talking sounded artificial. I haven't watched The Killing, so I don't know if it's for the role or just the way he talks, but it didn't feel natural.

The ending was kind of anti-climactic and under-developed, though. And they really should have followed it with the RoboCop theme, rather than I Fought the Law, by The Clash. I Fought the Law could have worked as a second credits song, but it felt really out of place directly after the ending. Instead, they did it the other way around.

Okay, so that wasn't many positives, but I never said I loved the movie. I just don't think it deserves all the crap it gets. I'd probably feel differently if I had any affection for the original, but seeing as that's not the case, I'm merely stating that this movie was okay-ish.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Compared to the book, the Edge of Tomorrow ending was a let down.

Book spoilers (how Mimics worked) and setup for ending:

Loops were defeated by killing all the backups/antenna Mimics then the server (which was the Alpha in the movie). When an server died it sends an tacyhon pulse through the antennas to the past as a warning.

Setup for the ending:
    "Humans perceive Mimic transmissions as dreams. Our brains are the antennas that receive these transmissions. But it's not just one-way. Our brains adapt--we become the antennas. I'm not even looping anymore, but I'm still connected; I can still sense the server Mimic because I am still an antenna myself. The migraines are a side effect.

That's why the loop repeated last time, even though you destroyed the backups. You didn't destroy the antenna, that was me.

It works both ways. If you become an antenna, Mimics will still be able to loop. I'm an antenna. You're trapped in a loop. You kill me, the loop doesn't propagate. I will you, it's for real. Forever. Only one of us can escape.

If humanity is going to win, we need someone who can break the loop."

Rita and Keiji (Japenese recruit is the main character along with Rita, the Amercian troops pronounced it Cage) then proceed to duel to the death. Keiji did not want to kill her and was fine to wake up to a new Rita every day. Rita knew something had to be done before Keiji got stuck as an antenna.

I can't remember if they got in depth in the movie what the Mimics were. In the book they are basically mechanical, bio engineered creatures that are sent to planets to xenoform for another alien race before they settle. The nanobots had encountered starfish and multiple in symbiosis with them. Eventually they evolved into war machines after humanity started to reveal their terraform efforts.

They did do well with references to the book, like the name Cage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Phenomena, a horror movie by Dario Argento, starring young Jennifer Connelly.

I still can't get over how half-assed the horror genere is right now compared to older gems like this movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Lego Movie - pretty great. Certainly better than any Pixar movie. I wish Gandalf had a better voice.

Rewatched 21 Jump Street. Channing Tatum is such a bro. Best American comedy in ages.

22 Jump Street. As good as the first one. The jokes about sequels and budgets are incredible.

All three movies are directed by the same couple. I wonder how they get away with all the jokes that poke fun at the studios and corporations who pay them.
    I watched this video about Edgar Wright and visual comedy. The directors of Jump Street and Lego actually do the things this guy talks about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430612/
    Why are they remaking Banlieu 13? Is it because the French are not portrayed as cheese-eating surrender monkeys?
    So they changed on on the main characters to a square-chiseled american dude (which is Paul Walker), and some rapper as the bad guy.
    Not sure if I want to see this...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430612/
    Why are they remaking Banlieu 13? Is it because the French are not portrayed as cheese-eating surrender monkeys?
    So they changed on on the main characters to a square-chiseled american dude (which is Paul Walker), and some rapper as the bad guy.
    Not sure if I want to see this...
    Wasn't there also a sequel to Banlieu 13?

Yeah, B13U, and it was as bad as the first one...

Finally watched Dark City. You guys were right, seeking out the version without the narration at the beginning was the right way to go about it. Enjoyed it, but I'm still slightly puzzled as to how the hell Rufus Sewell gets work of any kind.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Me too. Him and Eric Bana.

Just watched Network. Seems worryingly prescient.
    Please feel free to visit my Deviant Art page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeekyFun View Post
    Now watch Videodrome.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels: Awful.
    The World's End: Awful.
    Wolf Creek: Awful.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    The World's End: Awful.
    That one has been lounging on my DVR rent-free for a while now.

I hope I like it; people do have a funny way of disagreeing about what's good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Duel

That's one of the finest horror/thriller movie ever filmed. That scene where truck slowly approach the end of the tunnel to wait for main hero is so damn tense.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DeekyFun View Post
    I have yet to see anything directed by Sidney Lumet that is less than brilliant.