Page 126 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 2853
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Thor 2 - fell asleep, just like the first movie

Kickass 2 - not a good as the first

A Million Ways to Die in the West ​- not as funny as I'd thought it would be
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    A Million Ways to Die in the West ​- not as funny as I'd thought it would be
    I find that hard to believe. It reeks of forced jokes just by watching the poster.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I find that hard to believe. It reeks of forced jokes just by watching the poster.
    Aside from an amusing mustache-themed dance number, there wasn't much to it. The entire movie was basically MacFarlane's excuse to get Charlize Theron to make out with him. Can't blame the guy, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    The entire movie was basically MacFarlane's excuse to get Charlize Theron to make out with him. Can't blame the guy, really.
    Could be worse... At least it's not an excuse to be called Matt Groening.

Network Hub
    I saw Iron Sky (2012) recently. The film is about Nazis on the moon who, sixty years on, plan a re-invasion of the Earth. It's camp comedy from start to finish, but the most surprising thing for me is that it contains the clearest articulation of Nazi ideals that I've ever encountered in a film. Or video game for that matter. Think on that for a minute.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I guess Age of Extinction is the best Transformers movie, but that doesn't mean much.
    I don't know what it actually is about or who most of the characters are.

Here be spoilers, just in case you're one of the seven people who care:

Marky Mark is in it. I like Marky Mark.
    Stanley Tucci plays Steve Jobs. He's an asshole but he's actually a good guy. He gives Marky Mark a new home and even gets the girl. The girl is that Google Bingbing girl that was in X-Men DOFP for two seconds. She's in this for five minutes. I liked her makeup.

There are a couple of robots. Some of them are also dinosaurs and show up two hours and fifteen minutes later than they should. One of the robots is a bad guy and he's pretty boss, I was rooting for him. Optimus kills a robot and says "honor to the end". I don't know what that means.

Doc of the Dead - A documentary about the history of zombies in culture and film. It has interviews with Simon Pegg, Bruce Campbell, George Romero, Max Brooks and many more. It even has some short Mr. Plinkett bits (of Red Letter Media fame). Highly recommended if you're at all into zombies or zombie films.

Well, I was going to ask if I could post documentaries. In that case, I just catch this on TV.
    Before the Revolution, the Islamic Revolution that is, when Israelis like the director of the doc lived like kings, fueled by the Sha, that bought weapons like crazy (including, but not limited to, nukes). When Khomeini started to ruffle some feathers, Israel kept faithful to the old regime, 'cause they though if the Sha just murdered enough civilians they would go back being well behaved proles. The best part is when Jimmy Carter, the president of France and Germany's chancellor meet and decide the Khomeini is harmless because he "has no traces of communism". All this mixed with the personal life of the director, so that you can rage at the TV in those less interesting moments.

On a related story (not really), I also saw Kagemusha, described by Kurosawa as "dress rehearsal for Ran". Financed in part by George Lucas (as an apology or as mockery?), it's not as grandiose as his other films, but it's still great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Lego movie - great comedy which seemms to be poking fun at standard hollywood hero journey story, action movies, and Batman. It is very hilarious and it is surprisingly heartfelt with great likeble characters that you care for and an ending I pretty much cried at.

Went out to the movies with my folks to watch Transformers: AoE yesterday, didn't expect anything good to happen. There's... nothing particularly good happening there. Some parts that are pretty entertaining but still, I can't help but wonder when's the fun parts are going to start even after two hours. I won't say it's completely terrible like the third movie (it's actually better than the second if anything) but that doesn't mean it's anything spectacular. I think the biggest disappointment in this movie is that it's probably the muted sound effects that's supposed to be big, loud and noisy but in the end, it came off as very weak. Too weak even for those big guns. Shaky cam is still terrible thing for fight scenes
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    (it's actually better than the second if anything)
    It's better than the movie the director himself said was crap? Throw that on the poster!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The second movie was the worst ever made. The 3rd might be worse still, but no way I was going to suffer to find out.

Have they finally made a Transformers movie about Optimus Prime and the transformers, or is it still some weird unfunny sitcom about annoying human characters, with a few comedy robots that show up from time to time?
    Optimus Prime is cool enough that he somehow still managed to be cool when stuck in those god awful messes and being totally wasted.

Imagine if they actually made a movie about him? Now that might be good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
    That one has been lounging on my DVR rent-free for a while now.

I hope I like it; people do have a funny way of disagreeing about what's good.
    As in the Wright/Pegg/Frost movie?

Personally, it is my favorite of the trilogy, but I can definitely see why people dislike it. It is a much more serious movie for the most part and even deconstructs many of the tropes that the earlier movies thrived on. In essence: it is what happens when the folk who made Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz grow up

As for me: Finally watched The Raid 2 last night. I enjoyed it a lot, but I am not sure whether I prefer The Raid 1 or 2 more. 2 definitely had a much more interesting plot... by which I mean it actually HAD a plot :p (I made it through all of The Raid 1 not knowing Rama's name...). And the fight scenes are still ridiculously well choreographed and brutal.

The Car Chase probably trumps every gunfight in the first movie, but none of the fights rivaled the hallway sequence where Rama uses (mostly) real tactics to survive a many-on-one fight or the climactic fight with Mad Dog. Although, Rama VS The Assassin was quite satisfying for reasons very different than The Mad Dog Fight.

All in all: it goes without saying that The Raid 2 is a MUCH better film than the first. Rama's actor isn't great, but he gets the job done (and I am definitely willing to admit there may be cultural differences). The plot is actually fairly interesting and I was alternatingly grinning, wincing, and feeling the Feels throughout the movie. But, as an action movie, the first was much better. This really felt like the director tried things he/she wasn't really ready to do (although, apparently the guy is fairly established already?), whereas The Raid 1 was all about his/her strengths.
    Last edited by gundato; 29-06-2014 at 10:40 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    The second movie was the worst ever made. The 3rd might be worse still, but no way I was going to suffer to find out.

Have they finally made a Transformers movie about Optimus Prime and the transformers, or is it still some weird unfunny sitcom about annoying human characters, with a few comedy robots that show up from time to time?
    Optimus Prime is cool enough that he somehow still managed to be cool when stuck in those god awful messes and being totally wasted.

Imagine if they actually made a movie about him? Now that might be good.
    It's in the middle ground. Human characters still take the limelight for like half or more of the movie but the characters aren't excruciatingly insufferable this time. but like I said, it's a borefest.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

I watched Pleasentville.
    From the premise I was expecting a silly comedy. I ended up finding a comedy that actually had something to say.
    I was pleasantly surprised. It actually shares a lot of themes with The Truman Show. The latter is a better film but Pleasentville was actually quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    shares a lot of themes with The Truman Show. The latter is a better film but Pleasentville was actually quite good.
    The acting in Pleasentville is top-notch. Not to mention the special effects.

Yes! It is great visually and has some moments of brilliant photography.

Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction. It's 90% filler, and I wish I'd skipped it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Bad Boys II - objectively the best action movie ever made.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Watching Kingdom of Heaven - Director's Cut, because SirKicksalot mentioned it in another thread and I'd only seen the theatrical cut. I thought the theatrical was okay, but the DC is really rather good. Shame they didn't release that as the main version (but I guess, at 3 hours and 10 minutes, that's not done anymore).