Page 127 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 2844
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    That's the result of Alexander bombing and Ridley Scott's mantra of "it's the studio's money so they can do what they want". Eva Green refused to promote the movie because her entire subplot was deleted for the theatrical version, which was pretty ballsy for a young actress on her third movie...

Funny how Ridley Scott revived the genre with Gladiator, killed it with KoH and desecrated the corpse with Robin Hood.

Watching Beauty and Beast (2014), this is new movie, whose the women is Léa Seydoux, beauty and good hair.
    model gaya rambut

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So, I've got a cold and I'm stuck at home, so I finally got around to watching The Hobbit (2): Desolation of Smaug.

It was a reasonably exciting action movie, but I'm not really sure why they felt the need to call it "The Hobbit". It really is only tangentially related to the book in terms of plot points and characters, and not at all in terms of style, pacing, meaning, atmosphere etc..
    I found myself rather enjoying the action, as you tend to do in any fast paced action movie, while at the same time finding it ridiculous and rather overly violent. The way they rushed through and ignored most of my favorite parts from the book (and really, for a 3 hour movie, the book takes up about 20 minutes) and replaced them with ninja-elves fighting and killing bajilions of orcs was rather disconcerting.
    I found myself wondering why they bothered with all that hassle in Lord of the Rings, they could have just sent Legolas and Tauriel(?) into mordor to kill all the orcs, and had a picnic or something while they waited for them to come back.

But really, I was just waiting for Smaug. Martin Freeman & Benedict Cumberbatch - how could that go wro...zzzz oh, sorry. I fell asleep there. I was expecting the smaug scene to have some of the atmosphere and power of the one in the book, but it was pretty meh, and leading up to the ridiculous shitty ending to boot.

The first 3/4 is a 6.5/10 action movie. The last 1/4 is a 4/10 action movie. The whole thing is a 2/10 hobbit movie. So sad.

At least George Lucas waited a few decades before breaking all star wars fans hearts.. peter jackson seems to have managed to equal him in under a decade. I honestly wonder if he ever read the book.
    Last edited by BillButNotBen; 04-07-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    The star wars sequels(prequels) are all infinitely worse than the Hobbit movies, while I don't think the two hobbit movies are as good as LOTR, I'd still rate them as pretty decent.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    They basically do the same job of destroying the respect you had for the originals though.

I don't I'd rate the Hobbit movies much higher than the star wars prequels. All 5 movies in question have some great action scenes. All lack any kind of empathy for the world or the source material.

I guess I might have been more taken with Desolation of Smaug if i'd seen it on the big screen and it had had a chance to blow me away with its CG. Heck, even phantom menace managed to mostly do that the first time. But watching it on the small screen it was painfully obvious that it was a muddled mess of a movie, lacking empathy or heart, and basically extended by endless scenes of orcs getting their heads casually chopped off by the dozen.

Beorn, Mirkwood, The spiders, Bilbo trying to find a way of out of the elven stronghold, finding the secret door, the chat with smaug... these things all made a huge impression on me when I read the book. The movie glosses over them all in an attempt to get onto the next orc fight. There aren't even any bloody orcs in The Hobbit.

Sure, the acting is generally on a better level than the star wars prequels, but that's about it.
    Last edited by BillButNotBen; 04-07-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I have to say I disagree I think the movie does a really good job at making these areas of the book really exciting and tense, I mean yes the Bilbo and Smaug thing goes on a bit to long(I will say thats the problem with the movie it sometimes extends scenes a bit more then it should) but it was a really really entertaining and tense scene. I really like the Hobbit Movies as movies since they seem to be very entertaining and simple enough to fully get into it. I wouldn't say the best and I probably wouldn't watch it as much as I do LOTR but I think its not as bad as you say.

I think people underestimate what a fantastic actor Matthew Lillard is. Apparently half of his lines as Steve-o in SLC Punk! during the scene where he finds Heroin Bobs' body were improvised.

"Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I have to say I disagree I think the movie does a really good job at making these areas of the book really exciting and tense, I mean yes the Bilbo and Smaug thing goes on a bit to long(I will say thats the problem with the movie it sometimes extends scenes a bit more then it should) but it was a really really entertaining and tense scene. I really like the Hobbit Movies as movies since they seem to be very entertaining and simple enough to fully get into it. I wouldn't say the best and I probably wouldn't watch it as much as I do LOTR but I think its not as bad as you say.
    Nothing in these movies is as lore-destroying as that scene with the Nazgul and the Ring near the end of The Two Towers. And even so, that scene is great!
    It's a passionate fan's vision. They're fun movies. There are stupid things in all of them but the package is overall incredible. I was rewatching some scenes in Dol Guldur the other day. No fantasy movie comes close to Jackson's vision.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    IMHO, the Lord of the Rings movies are great. There are a few minor flaws, but they do a great job capturing the novels, while at the same time changing a few things that needed to be changed for the sake of the transfer to the screen.
    They are some of my favorite movies of all time, and I think they did a pretty great job adapting them.

The Hobbit movies on the other hand fail totally as adaptions of The Hobbit. They're mildly exciting action movies, with lots of OTT battles (endless endless endless battles), but they are hardly related to the book at all.

I couldn't think of the right word last time, but it's TONE. They totally fail to capture the tone of the novels. As such, key/powerful scenes from the novels get drowned out among all the sound and fury of the added action.

When I was watching it I didn't hate it quite as much as maybe my post implied... but as I was writing the post and thought about it in more detail, the more it annoyed me. Some creative license is allowed, and infact necessary for a good adaption, but you have to have some feeling for the tone of the original.

It's like taking a banana. Slicing it up and putting it in a bowl. Adding cream, chocolate sauce, those little wafer biscuits, icecream etc.. And then saying: "Here, have a banana!".
    It's not a banana anymore - it might have bits of banana in it, but you can hardly taste it for all the sugar and cream.

But they never said it's going to be a straight adaptation of The Hobbit. Why would you still expect that?

Not to mention that The Hobbit is a really difficult book to adapt.
    Spoilers: Smaug is killed by some guy pulled out of Tolkien's ass one page ago (with large font). The eagle rescue is even more jarring than in the movie, where at least it's linked to the moth magic from LOTR. The dwarves are non-entities. The book is literally a couple of episodes linked by "and then they walked over there and Gandalf left and then they walked some more, here's a song and oh hey Gandalf is back. Buy my other books - if I ever publish them - to find out what's going on." It can't be adapted as a coherent movie unless stuff is pulled from those other writings or straight-up invented.
    Imagine Bard being introduced five minutes before killing Smaug. Then this guy turns out to be hot shit in the following battle.

Attempting to wacth Black Coal, Thin Ice
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    How To Train Your Dragon 2 - apart from the kids in the cina annoying me to no end this is a really good childrens movie. Dreamworks usual stuff is pop culture sprouting rubbish but these films have the maturity and heart of pixar. Can't delve into to much because of spoilers but this goes into some surprising sadness. Its also really georgeous to look at and the designs for the dragons and characters especially for the main villian is great. Also want an art book full of those ending credit pictures soooo pretty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Just saw the Raid 2 and i have mixed feeling about it,it sure was not bad but it dragged for to long. Overall prefer first one,it was more fluid experience from the start till the end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I watched High and Low. Kurosawa proves (let's pretend films I haven't watched don't exist) he's not a one-trick pony by making a great film that has nothing to do with samurai. It's very different from the rest of his filmography, but the standards are kept high. It's actually 2 films: first, before the kid is recovered and second, catching the killer.
    It's also full of familiar faces.

On a not related note, I caught Collateral on TV and found it bland as hell. Tom Cruise sucks as much as the plot, with those horrible speeches about order and chaos, the story is dreadful, because they try to shoehorn action sequences to keep us awake, the music totally breaks the tone in crucial moments. The action itself is good, and most of the actors do a good job. Cruise plays a Terminator, which is extremely jarring in a mostly realistic setting.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @SirKicksalot: "But they never said it's going to be a straight adaptation of The Hobbit. Why would you still expect that? "
    I didn't expect anything. I'd have preferred a movie that lived up to the book, or had a similar tone to the book, or even that lived up to the LotR movies, or just was better.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Is the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut significantly different enough from the theatrical cut to make it better? I've heard it praised in several places, but the theatrical cut was very meh, so I find it hard to imagine that the Director's Cut would make such a big difference (rather than just making it longer & more detailed). Then again, bladerunner...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    I think people underestimate what a fantastic actor Matthew Lillard is. Apparently half of his lines as Steve-o in SLC Punk! during the scene where he finds Heroin Bobs' body were improvised.
    I like Lillard a lot. He is the kind of actor who knows his limitations and picks roles he can excel in. He isn't the greatest actor in hollywood, but if he is in a movie he is generally going to give a great performance (admittedly, the movie will probably still be shit :p)

Paul Bettany is another actor like that (although, he tends to be more widely accepted). He'll do a lot of HORRIBLE films, but he always acts his ass off in them and is generally the best thing about them.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Is the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut significantly different enough from the theatrical cut to make it better? I've heard it praised in several places, but the theatrical cut was very meh, so I find it hard to imagine that the Director's Cut would make such a big difference (rather than just making it longer & more detailed). Then again, bladerunner...
    It restores almost 50 minutes of character development and subplots. Balian's entire background is missing from theatrical, so you're wondering why he's able to defend Jerusalem after only a sword lesson. The first act in Europe is greatly expanded, as we learn more about Balian, his family and life. Eva Green was there only for sex and for randomly going crazy, but the DC brings back a ton of interesting content with her. Some additions are less about the plot and more about the mood and characterisation, such as expanded scenes at Ibelin and Kerak.
    Also restored is content that was cut in a failed attempt to get a PG-13 rating - alternate angles, frames of gore, some CGI elements.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So all that restored content actually makes it a significantly better / different film?

I only ask because I've found that a lot of Director's Cuts make it longer, but if I didn't like the film originally then I'm not likely to change my mind based on it being longer. On the other hand, if I liked the film then I'm likely to appreciate all the extra details.

Journey to the West. Entertaining, not great, not bad, but a bit uneven. Perhaps some elements of the humor and story don't translate too well (maybe cultural barrier, or just sloppy writing), and some of the CGI is a bit off (the hog demon). It starts well but doesn't quite follow through like Kung Fu Hustle did. When the fights stop being combat and just become arbitrary magic I lose interest. Qi Shu (same female lead from The Transporter) is excellent, but I didn't like her character arc.