Page 129 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2844
    Yeah, I think it's good that I miss it when it came out. I feel like I understand it better now that I'm a 20 something. Also, the music is fantastic. Kind of wish I was into music while in high school.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I was given SCOTT PILGRIM for my birthday a few years back, and I've only watched it once, but it left me a bit cold. It was well made, funny, etc... but it seemed somehow calculated to become a 'favorite movie'. It felt like it was trying too hard to set up quotes and memes and favorite scenes...

But that might have been because everyone told me "you have to watch it!!" and the back of the dvd said "prepare to have a new favorite movie" etc..

It might be because of my age.. maybe Ferris Bueller was also highly calculated to become a favorite quotable movie, but it didn't feel like it when I saw it. I imagine if I'd see Scott Pilgrim when I was in Uni I'd probably have loved it.

The Peacemaker. Not outright terrible, but contrived and corny. The script has problems.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovac View Post
    I've this habit of seeing a movie but not bother to finish it or in this case I only watch the last few scenes of it and feel like I'm good (I'm actually not).
    Someone recently told me that he watches all of his movies at 1.6x speed. He's a monster, of course, but perhaps you could try that?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    But...how...why...no!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Someone recently told me that he watches all of his movies at 1.6x speed. He's a monster, of course, but perhaps you could try that?
    It turns every film into a Harold Lloyd flick. See(High and Low is what I had at hand):
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Grand Budapest Hotel: My fav Wes Anderson film to date! Very funny and packed with a surprising amount of heart.

Network Hub
    Some quickies:

Snowpiercer (2013): Brilliant. I haven't seen an action/thriller film that hits so many right notes simultaneously -- from an intriguing premise, to script and performances, to action and tension, to freaking having something to say -- since The Matrix. I'm hardly the first to make the comparison, but its an apt one.

The Machinist (2004): The USP here is the opportunity to marvel at (and recoil in horror from) a skeletal and almost unrecognisabe Christian Bale. Otherwise it's a solid enough slow-burning psychological thriller, a little more than that really on the back of some good character work and interplay with esp. prostitute 'Stevie' played by Jennifer Jason Leigh. The lack of a satisfying epilogue to that particular story thread is arguably the film's greatest flaw.

Kahaani (2012): A modern Indian thriller that takes us on a whirlwind ride through the endless alleys of Kolkata. With twenty minutes left to run my assessment was that the plot was being held together with strings and it was a worthwhile endeavour only on account of Vidya Balan's superlative performance as a heavily pregnant woman in search of her husband. But then the rabbit came out of the hat and redeemed most of the film's apparent flaws. A thoroughly satisfying film in the end, and one that cements Vidya Balan as my favourite Indian actress.
    Last edited by Lethe; 17-07-2014 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Are you trying to turn me into a monster?

Question, is Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is 3D only? My local cinema only have it in 3d. I like 3d when it's done properly.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I always felt THE PEACEMAKER couldn't decide if it was going for serious or dumb action... so it fell in a slightly boring middle ground. It always felt like it should have been better than it was.

I was just about to go on another rant about how SNOWPIECER hasn't been released in Japan yet and how we always have to wait forever... but it turns out it was released in February... though I didn't see it anywhere and I guess it was in about 1 theater. I'll just have to rant about THE RAID 2 not coming out until november....

I've watched Smilla's Sense of Snow three or four times since its late 90's release. An understated murder mystery thriller with overtones of X-files and quietly developing intrigue. Good casting all around and Julia Ormond is extremely compelling as the protagonist, quite an interesting character. The plot has some weak elements and stumbles toward the end, and I've been tempted to read the book but it seems to share the same faults. It's very suspenseful overall and while not really a classic or cult worthy, I still enjoy it.

Perfect Sense was disappointing. Ewan McGregor and Eva Green can't save this underwritten love story from a lack of plotting and missing conclusion. A mysterious global epidemic causes waves of emotional outbreaks followed by loss of the primary senses, but it proceeds by rote (smell, taste, hearing, sight...), and the resulting predictable plot structure is just boring. It feels like there's half a movie here, a lot of sensual filler, and a voiceover with little to say. With a title like it has I really expected a twist or explanation or some message to eventually illuminate the situation, but it just isn't that smart or thoughtful. Not bad, but very underwhelming.

I watched the newest Planet of the Apes, Dawn or something. Monkeys on horses.

The film is extremely well made, it's more interesting than the last origin story, and manages to be an action movie with both brains and brawn, but the last scene totally killed any interest I had. Just after Caesar drops Kora from the building, he becomes the thing he was fighting. He just jettisoned all his ideals for petty revenge that solves nothing. I though he was better than that! Turns out he's only human...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I watched the newest Planet of the Apes, Dawn or something. Monkeys on horses.

The film is extremely well made, it's more interesting than the last origin story, and manages to be an action movie with both brains and brawn, but the last scene totally killed any interest I had. Just after Caesar drops Kora from the building, he becomes the thing he was fighting. He just jettisoned all his ideals for petty revenge that solves nothing. I though he was better than that! Turns out he's only human...
    Thoughts:

It's not petty revenge; it solves the problem of Koba doing the same thing again while also serving as a warning to other potentially uppity apes. It is a lesson for Caesar, and perhaps us too, that nature gets the better of us and we have to deal with things we'd probably rather not have to deal with. Life is messy, basically.

I liked it overall.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Thoughts:

It's not petty revenge; it solves the problem of Koba doing the same thing again while also serving as a warning to other potentially uppity apes.

I liked it overall.
    So Caesar is a dictator? Not a hippie, "ape no kill ape"-toting Abraham Lincoln [I]cum[/I JC-prototype]?
    I just wanted them to keep realpolitik out of fiction. I get enough of it IRL.

Granted, this question only surfaces because the film is so good. If it had more glaring flaws, this nuances would never surface.

OFFTOPIC: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3214002/
    What the actual fucking fuck? Seriously, Indie Game The Movie starts looking like the Room 237, and this is like that Power Glove "adverfilm".

I caught Nu-Star Trek on the telly. Blank Reg is a Vulcan higher-up? Hulk is not green? That guy from Invasion of the Body Snatchers is important somehow, on some frozen hellhole. Spock's mom is an android? And Simon Pegg was reassigned to Antarctica?
    I thought the lens flare jokes were overreacting, but by GOD, it makes it barely watchable. Just too many crap polluting the screen.
    The rest is bad enough even without having seen the original series, but receiving all of it through pop-cultural osmosis. Liberal use of catch phrases was quite annoying.

In a nutshell, it's like someone took the first Mass Effect, chose the default Soldier MaleShep and played half the main storyline (the bad half) on god mode, while fast-forwarding.
    Last edited by somini; 20-07-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Got one of the bland "protagonists" wrong

Finally got around to watch Snowpiercer. Something is not right in Korea, why are "all" their films about horrible, horrible stuff?
    As for the film itself, it seems at least someone who's doing post-apocalyptic films has actually read and understood 1984. Not just that, the plot is a literal spiritual journey, in addition to a physical one, and without the "having your cake and eating it too" mentality that permeates a lot of those post-apocalyptic films. This means choice and consequences, not "kill the bad guy and suddenly all is good".
    Buttload of plot twists, the action RULEZ, and even no-name actors like the Human Torch manage to be great. Of course Tilda Swinton steals all the scenes playing Thatcher, but that's her trademark.
    Great stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Doom movie.

At least it has The Rock and Karl Urban.

The Doom movie is the one that refuted my theory that The Rock can salvage any movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    The Doom movie is the one that refuted my theory that The Rock can salvage any movie.
    The Rundown is awful AND has the The Rock.