Page 13 of 116 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Drive. Oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Really impressed by it overall. The director Tomas Alfredson (who also directed 'Let the right one in') is a has a knack for visual storytelling (in a similar manner to Nicolas Winding Refn) and he does a brilliant job of putting across a lot of the important plot events and mood without a great deal of recourse to expositional dialogue. I'm surprised that it's not been at least a nominated for best picture tbh. Great performances as well across the board.
    Exactly this. A number of the scenes were staggering in how well they conveyed the paranoia of the time, but they never veered into showmanship. I was worried that the film wouldn't be able to compress the novel into its two hours' running time, but it did a fine job of it. And I thought Oldman did a superb job of portraying a man with just the right level of detachment from some of the heartbreaking decisions he had to make.

Also recently saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and liked it more than the first, actually. It wasn't as fresh (and I missed Rachel McAdams), but it was so much more fun this time around, and the villain was a lot more interesting. I loved how understated Jared Harris' performance as Moriarty was. Simply chilling.

Finally, yesterday we saw Chronicle. I didn't expect much going in, but I thought the performances were great. The script a touch less great (and I wasn't a fan of the end very much), but it was still a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Drive. Oh my.
    Do tell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Also recently saw
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and liked it more than the first, actually. It wasn't as fresh (and I missed Rachel McAdams), but it was so much more fun this time around, and the villain was a lot more interesting. I loved how understated Jared Harris' performance as Moriarty was. Simply chilling.

I watched this and really liked it but Guy Ritchie has to do something about the length it really went on to long! But it was a very enjoyable movie and i did love all the characters. It also made me miss Stephen Fry as a comic actor because I did forget how good he was at that. I also kind of like this version of Watson a lot more then the TV show, he is a lot more Sherlock's equal in the film.

Activated Node
    What did you guys think of that scene where Downey Jr and pals were being chased through the forest and Ritchie went totally nuts with the camera?

I enjoyed the film overall but what was he thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I watched this and really liked it but Guy Ritchie has to do something about the length it really went on to long!
    I quite liked the length. Any less and I wouldn't have been so impressed with Moriarty. I can see what you mean, but I was having such a good time that I didn't want it to end. And I definitely agree on Watson—this is easily the most interesting (and useful) version of that character I've seen to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilliput King View Post
    What did you guys think of that scene where Downey Jr and pals were being chased through the forest and Ritchie went totally nuts with the camera?

I enjoyed the film overall but what was he thinking.
    It was a bit much. Though it did succeed in making me all kinds of tense at the time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The Muppets as it just came out today in the UK (damn you Americans!).

It's fantastic and you should all go and see it if you've ever liked them. I had a great big grin on my face all the way through: the songs were fun and usually up-beat without being annoying; the simplicity of the plot wasn't an issue due to the film's incredible (and personally unexpected) complete awareness of the fact that it's a film, something numerous characters make reference to multiple times; and the comedy is pretty good. On the last point, it's not even as if some of the jokes are amazingly clever, but they're just great to laugh along to. Some are clever and there are some blink-and-you'll-miss'em ones thrown in there too. It's a good all-round package that doesn't out-say its welcome.

Definitely a 'fun for all the family, whatever their (and your) ages' thing. They get a good few 'adult' things in there too under the radar. The main thing is that it was fun and well worth the price of admission.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 11-02-2012 at 04:52 AM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Just watched.again: SAW I - VII >:)

Watched Kill List earlier. What. The. Hell. Brilliant, though.
    to wound the autumnal city.

The Human Centipede 2 - Avoid. But you knew that already. Ergh this film is a boring slog and well its just for the shock moments at the end which are uncessary. The only saving grace is that there are moments in it either intentional or not where it kind of becomes a black comedy which did make me laugh. I liked the first one which was more atmospheric and the villian was better. So see that one if you really want to see one.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Watched Kill List earlier. What. The. Hell. Brilliant, though.
    Had that in waiting for a while... think I'll finally give it a go tonight.

Watched Chronicle when it first came out, I really enjoyed it. So much better than I expected and I think the final scenes (which some people seemed to dislike) were some of the best depictions of the sheer chaos superpowered destruction would really cause. It's like if a tank just popped up in the middle of a city and started shelling buildings. A tank that could fly.

In fact I think it's possibly the best depiction of superpowers, as opposed to superheroics, so far. I could even get onboard with the found-footage premise, though it's not worth thinking about how footage from other cameras (and CCTV footage) could end up in the same 'edit' in any detail. It's just a framing device and a useful symbol in the end.
    Last edited by Theblazeuk; 14-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Take Shelter

Slow pace (perfect for this type of movie) and great acting. The protagonist is so convincing, through his eyes you actually begin to feel what it must be like to slowly lose your grasp on reality.
    I found it gripping to the final minute, very recommendable!

The Muppets - This is probably one of the most perfect movies i think I've watched and I don't think i'm hyperboling there. Its really charming from the start and it grabs you to the end, it is absolutely hilarious the jokes and the songs are. Also I was really surprised how well touching the film is, there is so many moments in it where your just going "aww" or close to tears or even crying, its actually probably the most heartfelt movies I've seen. And the characters are muppets! Really recommend this film. Also if you don't cry at the ending you have no soul.

I've just made a vow to never watch Ghost Rider 2, and especially not to watch it online
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    Heh.

I watched Kill List last night.

What. The. Hell. Brilliant, though.
    Accurately describes my feelings. Very unsettling and all the more so for the [spoiler]utter lack of explanation for the building mysteries and sickness [/spoiler]

I think that's part of what makes it such an unsettling movie though

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I neglected to say, last Saturday I watched Shame, what must be the most appropriate dichotomy to watching The Muppets the night before.

For those unaware, it's an indie film about a sex addict, starring Michael Fassbender. It's the kind of film where, a minute in, the protagonist is walking around full-frontal and be damned, the director wants you to get the 'front' part. Twice. Anyhow, the actual film is acceptable; if you have any vague notions as to what the film will be about, the kind of things that will happen, almost none of its presentation or mystery will surprise you. The two biggest flaws of the film were its direction and characters.

In the case of the former, several scenes dragged on for far, far too long. Notably, there's a scene early on with a (poor) rendition of 'New York, New York', along with a date later on. The focused shots give nothing else to pay attention to and I felt that I wanted the film to just move it already. Secondly, the characters are...bizarre. The point of any character is that you can appreciate them; this doesn't mean you have to like them as a person, just as a character. I subsequently found myself not appreciating any of the characters, coming to its head in what should've been a dramatic argument some way in. The worst words you could use about anything subjective; I don't care.

That being said, it's certainly watchable and nothing is too crude, but it feels like it's wearing its indie badge a little too proudly and it comes off worse because of it. It's certainly not a film you'd take a date on, or watch with your family. I don't think it's bad, I just didn't think it was good. Given the choice, I'd have much rather have spent my money on watching The Muppets again.