Page 134 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 3003
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So, two films then this weekend. Slightly different in tone.

Having played many video games and watched many films, it's easy to see where inspiration has been drawn from having now seen Where Eagles Dare. It's pretty good fun! The plot is surprisingly intricate considering the surface of "Shoot them Nazis!" A few out-dated special effects aren't really enough to hamper what is otherwise a fun, pulpy story. Some great set-pieces and real tough fight sequences; something newer films lack is the real gravity of a fight, where you can really feel each punch and kick. This film has it in spades and whilst the heroes might get bloody and bruised, there's still a sense of them having the crap kicked out of them. Of course, this is mostly reflected in the final scene when they eventually get their rest. I don't really have that much analysis to give the film though. It is what it is and it does it extremely well.

With a Guardians of the Galaxy viewing lined up for Tuesday, I felt I owed myself watching all of Phase 2 beforehand. With Captain America: Actually Pretty Great Sequel and Thor: Grumpy Ecclestone being enjoyable films so far and Iron Man being generally pretty high-up on the Marvel films quality list, I find myself not so much being disappointed by Iron Man 3, but feeling it be a little underwhelming. It's still a good, solid film and it tells an interesting story, but there were just some oddities about it.

I think it lacked a feel of character about it. That might sound stupid, but Iron Man 1 and 2 were dripping with a self-confidence of "Guys, hey, hi. We're going to entertain you for 2 hours, just sit back, relax, enjoy the show." This one felt a little doting, not quite as sure of what it was doing. Maybe that was intentional to reflect Stark's character throughout, but I think that would be giving it too much credit. There were some interesting things covered though, some fantastic sequences, but overall it felt a little less connected. The stinger was amusing though!

If I were to rate Phase 2 so far, I'd go Cap > Thor > IM, which...well, that's basically the complete opposite of what I'd have expected going in.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Completely disagree Iron Man 3 was really great and manged to really save it from the rubbishness of 2. It was a great test of Tony Stark without the Iron Man which is always interesting, it also really had fun with the characters but knew to actually have a good backing to that fun. The Tony Stark panic attacks were really well done I just wish they had a bit more of an end to them or had more impact on the final bit but I have heard they might of had it in but it ended up on the cutting room floor.

Thor 2 was an ok film but nothing special which is about the same as Thor. Not seen Cap 2 yet though.

I actually didn't like any of the Iron Man movies. Sure, Robert Downey jr. is great in them but that's pretty much it. I think a big problem here is the lack of a proper villain. They have been all but forgettable in all three movies. Thor and the Avengers had Loki and Captain America had Hydra as well as the titular Winter Soldier and Mecha Zola in the recent movie. I guess the implication is that Stark is his own worst enemy. Still, a decent Mandarin would have gone a long way to make me care.

Speaking of comic book adaptations. I watched Dredd the other day. The internet has been raving about it for a year or so now and decided to give it a shot. Well, it's okay. I think it pretty much nails the tone of the comics. Unlike most of the other recent scifi schlock like Oblivion or Transcendence it's mostly an action movie and pretty good one at that. Structurally it reminded of the The Raid with somewhat similar premise and all the action contained in a relatively small location. Instead of martial arts the focus is on guns, though. Much like The Raid it's also mostly a murderthon with plenty of gore and not much in the way of high concepts or narrative. I have to say it was almost refreshingly unambitious.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Edge of Tomorrow aka Groundhog Day: Alien Invasion. Actually quite enjoyed this, which surprised me a bit (I imagine it was a good thing I hadn't even watched the trailer for it; I knew basically nothing about the story).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Also disagree about Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. I thought Iron Man 3 was pretty great. Great action, interesting story, good bad guy, etc.. You could say the iron man films are all about Robert Downey Jr... but that seems ok to me. A superhero film being about the hero.

Thor 2 was just, well, long and dull. I wanted to like it. It has a great cast and I like the guy playing Thor (and of course, Loki). But it just felt kind of empty to me. It was about 3 hours long, but it didn't have enough Thor, or enough of the bad guy, or do anything with any of thor's team of friends, or do much anything with the team of scientists on earth. I can't work out why it was so long.

Haven't seen Capt 2 yet... but really want to. (That and Godzilla and Edge of Tomorrow and Guardians and...)

Where Eagles Dare was excellent. Very prototypical action movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For me, Thor's always been at the bottom of the marvel barrel. I want to like thor a lot! It's got the setting I should find most appealing! But I can't help but feel it doesn't deliver. I don't care about any of the characters, bad or good. I don't even feel the action sells itself very well. I dunno. I just can't find the angle in which it works for me. I rate iron man after that, because I at least find stark funny, and I like some of the action scenes a lot, even if again, I straight up couldn't actually care about most of the characters if you paid me. Then there's cap. I like everything about the cap movies. I like the set design. I like the costume design. I like the characters. I like the bad guys. I like the dialogue. I like that it mixes ww2 'the dastardly jerry is up to devilish tricks!' pulp camp with more contemporary stuff. I like the action scenes. Everything. Cap is the best.

Beyond the solo movies, it seems to be an assumed fact of the universe that everyone likes the avengers, and yeah, I really digged it. Especially since it's the only one that actually includes my favourite hero and an actor who does him in a fun way (hulllllllllk) and loki is their long game villain that's actually kind of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Uhm, no. He wrote screenplay for "The Gardener's Son" in 1976 and two stage plays in 1996 and 2006.
    One of these plays, "The Sunset Limited" was filmed by Tommy Lee Jones, starring Jones himself and Samuel L. Jackson.
    It's really great movie in manner of "12 Angry Men", but with only two people instead of twelve.
    The Counsellor was his first original screenplay for a feature film and a major one at that. The Gardner's Son was a single television episode back in the 70's and a stage play is a very different sort of creature when compared to a Hollywood action thriller. I generally like his novels and I liked the story he was trying to tell here but I wish he had made a another novel of it instead of wasting it on a clumsy mess.

They're playing Robocop on the box. Obviously it's been cut for TV but I've got the DVD anyway so I can live with it. So far a man shoots at Robocop with a machinegun whilst yelling "fuck me!" over and over again before having the barrel of said gun bent and then he got clotheslined into a fridge, a rapist has had his cock blown off and a third man has been punched out of a window after being dragged through a wall. I love this movie and I want a real Nukem board game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think what I like about the Thor setting is that it's basically space magic, so that provides bonus points for me. I do think there's a few bad things about the Thor films, but I've enjoyed them both thoroughly (although I do think the first is better). Cap 1 had some good ingredients, but didn't really feel like a particularly great film and Robert Downey Jr. obviously excels at Tony Stark, so the Iron Man films are fairly locked down.

Talking about Robert Downey Jr., I found myself watching Tropic Thunder earlier as a result of some unexpected time. It's...daft. Very, very daft, but in a very enjoyable way. The whole thing is over-the-top, but it feels like they're playing the actors off as minor exaggerations of how they might be in real life, so it doesn't actually seem too absurd, until the land mine. Even the final sequence is fairly believable as ridiculous as it is. It's a goofy experience, but not in-your-face so. Good fun!

Also, holy crap did I not notice that was Tom Cruise until the credits. I'll give him points there.