Page 137 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 2851
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    The Andromeda Strain is so "realistic", I actually thought it was a 2-hour commercial for electron microscopes and other testing apparatus. Being the 70's, gratuitous topless female shots are required, so they even have one, just to fill the quotas. This film is about as exciting as watching paint dry.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    So I guess it was time to rewatch What Dreams May Come.

What, no Jumanji? Or Mrs. Doubtfire?

I'll probably marathon his better films over the weekend. What Dreams May Come was always my favourite. Now it hits twice as hard. Makes me feel bad to say it should have ended with them both in hell. The moment he makes her nightmare his is a perfect ending. What comes after doesn't feel earned.

Network Hub
    I don't recall a topless scene in The Andromeda Strain. In fact, the only female character I do remember in that film I wouldn't want to see topless anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I watched Rush, wherein Thor (an Australian Brit) and Fredrick Zoller (a Spanish Austrian) travel round and round quite fast to see which of them manages risk best. It was quite good and there were excellent performances all around. I'm not normally one to follow Cars Wot Go Fast, so the ins and outs of Formula racing was new to me (one very loud day high above a track several years ago notwithstanding), but I rather enjoyed it.
    Lousy script, but good production values. An enjoyable if not particularly memorable film, I agree. I did appreciate how it shared its sympathies equally between the two drivers when it would've been so easy to portray the dour, calculating Austrian fellow as the villain to the cloud-pleasing Brit hero.
    Last edited by Lethe; 12-08-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Network Hub
    For upwards of year, I've been reading great things about You're Next. Of course, horror criticism is almost as bad as video game criticism in terms of rubbish tolerance.

You're Next was good enough that I only nodded off for a minute. Pretty good for what it is, a low-but-not-no-budget horror movie. But not anything to justify the reviews I've been reading either. A home invasion slasher, with a good lead and not-the-worst support, lots of fake blood, and at least one death-by-power-tool. Less like Funny Games, more like Home Alone. The protagonist racked up the largest body count, which I guess means that she wins?

The Fisher King is a really sweet movie. Douchebag Jeff Bridges is awesome. Can't decide which scene if better - the dinner or the message.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Guardians of the Galaxy was so much fun.

I'm buying the hype and have an interest in seeing it. Would you recommend it to someone who found Avengers just ok?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Very much so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I'm buying the hype and have an interest in seeing it. Would you recommend it to someone who found Avengers just ok?
    Yes!

It's not really like the Avengers. The closest thing I can compare it to is tongue in cheek Star Wars with the high camp of Thor. With an amazing 70s soundtrack.

I loved it, it's not a serious film though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    It reminded me of Farscape. Ship full of outlaws with the human snapping off pop culture references (in just the right dose), they’ve all got a tortured past and are utterly alone through circumstance, etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I've seen the Farscape comparison before and I'm not entirely sure it works. Superficially it's there and even the cast is similar in terms of appearance and capability, but whilst GotG visually depics alien, it rarely feels alien, which is something Farscape accomplished and what really lifted it.

That's not a sleight against GotG though. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would do. I believe I fell into the hype too much. It's a very silly, very fun and rather enjoyable sci-fi action adventure romp, so that it's even good should be something of a blessing considering how few and far between these come, but there was a certain substance about it that I felt was missing. In comparison to The Avengers, I do not think it is as good. I don't believe it's even the best phase 2 film either (Cap 2 taking that honour thus far).
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Edge of Tomorrow got a new title and a terrible US Blu-Ray cover. The EU version uses one of the theatrical posters as cover. The 3D version is only available in the Deluxe edition, despite the movie being shot with 3D in mind and having an excellent conversion from the same studio that handled Gravity's conversion.

The best poster shows up only in the actual movie:

I'm also fond of the I Want You one, but that's only fit for a teaser.
    Last edited by SirKicksalot; 14-08-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Saw 300: Rise of an Empire yesterday. I'm not quite sure which empire arose, but the movie pretty much did what was expected of it. It was 300 on boats. Well, that wasn't what I had expected from a sequel, but the execution of it was. Eva Green is always reliable, but that semi-evil voice she does kind of grates on me a bit. Beyond her, it was just more 300. On boats. I think it works better on land. And I think Cersei has ruined Lena Headey for me. It always felt a bit weird seeing her on screen. And i would've preferred a more historically correct depiction of the battle, but I don't think anyone believed they were getting that. Anyway, if you liked the first one, you'll probably appreciate this one as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Edge of Tomorrow got a new title and a terrible US Blu-Ray cover. The EU version uses one of the theatrical posters as cover. The 3D version is only available in the Deluxe edition, despite the movie being shot with 3D in mind and having an excellent conversion from the same studio that handled Gravity's conversion.

The best poster shows up only in the actual movie:

I'm also fond of the I Want You one, but that's only fit for a teaser.
    Oh god the box cover is terrible.

I just watched Good Morning Vietnam in honor of Robin Williams and because well, why not. Ten minutes into it the Forrest Whitaker character jokingly suggests the Robin Williams character to commit suicide. Oh.
    Besides from that it actually is a rather unremarkable movie. Robin Williams is really funny in it but the Vietnam war is slowly fading from the public consciousness and in the light of current events just doesn't seem relevant anymore. The plot is basically nothing more the the inspirational, anti-authoritarian guy comes to a new place, quickly becomes popular with the young folks but then the authorities catch wind of it and frown upon such shenanigans in a very hamfisted manner. Of course, it's ultimately a more serious movie as there is a war going on and it's not teenagers but soldiers instead and Cronauer does not "win". It's still enjoyable if just for Robin Williams' performance.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    I don't recall a topless scene in The Andromeda Strain. In fact, the only female character I do remember in that film I wouldn't want to see topless anyway!
    I liked that everyone rails at "The System" for ignoring people like her but the whole plot stands on her epilepsy making her skip some test results, leading directly to all that business with the lasers. Well, not sure I would call what Andromeda Strain has a plot. I really think it's a cleverly disguised 2h-long Electron Microscope/Hazmat Suit advert.

I inadvertently watched 2 Polansky films in a row.
    First, Chinatown is an amazing deconstruction of Noir films in general, and the ending just blows everything out of the water. The performances are just mind-blowing, even for bit-parts. It's as good as it gets. The best a film gets the less I can write about it, I have literally nothing but praise for it. EDIT: Oh, and props to IO for making Kane's nose bandage from Kane and Lynch 1 a reference to Nicholson's character. If it's not, then you have this one for free.
    Rosemary's Baby is like The Shining. Under some goofy premise, wrapped in a so-called "genre movie", there's a much more interesting subtext about peer pressure, vulnerable people (women mostly) taken advantage of, the human condition in a nutshell. I think this is even more insidious, because Rosemary is even more fragile, being pregnant and all. Other than that, Mia Farrow does a great job and the secondary characters are absolutely glorious.
    Last edited by somini; 16-08-2014 at 03:48 AM.

Oh gods, The Andromeda Strain was so bad. One of the most boring films I have ever watched. The best way to get that out of the system is to watch Westworld, also from Michael Crichton. It is infinitely more entertaining.

Man, that tag line describes like half of his novels.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Oh gods, The Andromeda Strain was so bad. One of the most boring films I have ever watched
    It truly is.

I also watched North by Northwest and it's not at all what I was expecting. It's a goofy, raunchy, action film, that was filmed almost entirely through backward projection, to put the actors in exotic places. People talk bad about 300 and purely green screen stuff as some novelty, but here's a film from '59 that's just like that. The plot is simple: George Clooney is mistaken for someone else, and the Bad Guy Humbert Humbert (of Lolita fame) is out to catch him, with his Dragon, Bela Lugosi. His life is saved by a woman, Covarrubias and they do some hijinks by throwing money at people, he returns the favour by saving her life and throwing Dracula off a cliff, the Bad Guy gets arrested and they bang on the train. There's also the crop duster scene, that is completely superfluous and didn't age well due to the backward projection stuff.
    Sure, the dialog is very well written and acted. I'm sorry, what I meant is that Cary Grant's retorts are this. When Pretty Lady talks, it's mostly trying to get him to bed. The bad guys are just Comic Book Villains. There's something about a war or something, but I guess they spent all the edginess in coming up with innuendo.
    What I meant is that I wasn't expecting North by Northwest to be a TV Movie.
    EDIT: Well, that came out a bit harsh. I liked it, I was just expecting a bit more from Hitchcock.