Page 15 of 116 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Food Inc., an American documentary film a few years ago (not such exactly when, but I think it's released some time after 2007. 2007 is the most recently exciting year for gamers so this year is signified for me. 2007 is also the year when economies of all over the world reached their peak. I think this directly led to the prosperous gaming year of 2007.)

It discussed how food supplies of developed world are controlled by corporation. As it put it, food stuffs are no longer grown by farms, but by facilities more like factories. "Farmers" are, bound by contract with corporations (names included, but I guess you better watch the film yourselves, I give no positive nor negative comments towards those firms), produce food as demanded by corporations for sole purpose of profit maximization. You would see that seasonality of food supplies is completely ruled out and food items appear in supermarkets regardless of their respective seasonality. People are eating less healthy and all sorts of health issues raise.

There is an infamous name, Monsanto, being mentioned. This is a very well-known firm which is having large business deals with our governments over supplies of soybean seeds. This firm plays a vital role in Sino-American trade relation, essentially in agricultural business.
    Last edited by squirrel; 26-02-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Network Hub
    Watched We need to talk about Kevin last night. Good movie, little confusing at first but the narrative switches really pull together to make this story of the awkward, painful relationship between mother and frankly unlovable son really effective.

Just for fun, here's the movies I watched on the plane to Bolivia the other day:

Cowboys and Aliens: Better than expected. The whole thing is played entirely straight and is all the better for it. Also not as politically insensitive as I thought it'd be. Daniel Craig was a good cowboy, and the aliens were good aliens. Guess who won.

Tower Heist: A heist movie without all the flahsy cuts and high-tech blarney you'd expect. Props go to Matthew Broderick and Casey Affleck. Plus there's one killer line from Eddie Murphury near the end. Not amazing, but more than welcome on a twelve hour flight.

50/50: I love Joseph Gordon Levitt, but the star here is Anna Kendricks. She's quietly becoming a really great actress. The film could do more with its central concept, but the performances keep it grounded and the ending is a pleasant surprise (for me anyway).

Crazy, Stupid Love: Utterly brilliant. For a while the film coasts on the charm of its two male leads, Steve Carrell and Ryan Gosling, the latter of whom is amazing as ever. Towards the end the approximately four billion narrative threads come together and the result is stunning. Plus, you get a lot more Emma Stone in the second half, and you can never go wrong with Emma Stone. This is the ticket if you're looking for a top drawer rom-com with an indie feel (and you've already seen Away We Go and 500 Days of Summer).
    Last edited by LennyLeonardo; 28-02-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Activated Node
    Bronson left me pretty cold. I don't really think there was the material or the ideas for 92 minutes. The 'point' translates quickly and inarticulately to the screen, but the film doesn't have anything else to say. It spends so long telling us that this tale is much subtler and more interesting than it seems that I think we're left wondering who it's trying to convince.

Drive has the same problem, I think, but at least it has a sense of style to it; at least it remembers it is a film.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    The Good, the Bad, the Weird.

Spaghetti-western-type movie set in Manchuria during Japanese occupation, with Korean leads.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The Good, the Bad, the Weird.

Spaghetti-western-type movie set in Manchuria during Japanese occupation, with Korean leads.
    Extremely good fun

Apollo 18 was a bit of a letdown, even approaching it with only moderate expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Extremely good fun
    Such good scenes. Extra featured early in movie: Hysterical geisha kidnapped by the Weird, then made to shovel coal into a train engine until the Bad shows up. Ends up bad for her after the Bad has a gunfight with the Good, but just that image of that woman in a bright yellow dress frantically shoveling coal reduces me to giggles.
    Last edited by Nalano; 29-02-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Uncle Bonmee who can recall his past lives - Pretentias boring twaddle. Ooo im artsy because i have nice composition but use it to have 5 minite shots of people sitting down on tables or walking very slowly. Oo im artsy because i have weird sequences like a red eyed gorrila sitting down to the table or a girl having sex with a fish. Didnt have any connection with the characters at all, didnt know what was goingon and to be honest didnt really care to.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    weird sequences like a red eyed gorrila sitting down to the table or a girl having sex with a fish.
    Sounds great! I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by LennyLeonardo View Post
    Sounds great! I'm sold.
    x2

10characters
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

You see that was my initial reaction! And yet i came out of it less then enthused.

Network Hub
    Woman in Black - little clumsy to begin with, pretty good once the gloves come off. Daniel Radcliffe shouldn't have been clean shaven at the beginning though, no faith in him having a four-year old son until he looked more like his real age.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just watched Sicko, that this movie did not kickstart a revolution for universal healthcare in the States is a marvel in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Just watched Sicko, that this movie did not kickstart a revolution for universal healthcare in the States is a marvel in itself.
    They'd rather attack Michael Moore than attack CIGNA. After all, CIGNA has more money.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

I just watch the movie Ghost rider2

The last few movie that I have watched are:
    The Tree of Life
    Margin Call
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Hugo
    Midnight in Paris
    Money Ball
    The Descendants

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Commie! Go back to Russia

I like to watch horror and suspense movie both. I like devil inside and dead end .I liked it desperately . I become very big fan of Fernanda Andrade.

Bad Teacher - Ergh not even funny at all, and it does that horrible thing where the character realises her mistakes and goes and does the right thing. The problem is the charcter is probably one of the most horrible human beings ever and even when she is doing the "nice thing" its quite horrible and it doesn't make any sense. Also didn't make me laught at all and thats a problem with a comedy film.