Page 23 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 2633
  1. #441
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I don't get how one can miss the basic relationship between non-realistic renderings and their utility in communicating themes in ways which in more realistic contexts would seem heavy-handed, trite, or one-dimensional ... but apparently it is possible.
    I don't object to the use of metaphor. A 2 hour metaphor that expresses nothing more complex than "fascism is bad" though; that's a fucking bore.

  2. #442
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,146
    I think it is a little bit deeper then facism is bad though and I can watch it quite a few times and take different meanings out of it, but maybe thats just me.

    Grizzly Man - A really touching documentry on a bizzare man who lived with bears and eventually got killed by one of them, it really does paint this picture of a really deeply troubled man trying to escape the world of people finding solace in bears and how this warped his view over time. Quite touching, funny, creepy, beutiful, and all in all stays with you for quite some time. I'm really loving Werner Herzog.

  3. #443
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I'll use Scott Pilgrim as an example as I think it highlights my point well; the graphic novels obviously have a lot more content in them, but they are unquestionably brought to life by film. Colours (completely absent in the novels) and sound makes the world vibrant and alive. It obviously tells a different story, it has to because those 2 hours couldn't compare with the, say, 6-8 or so it took to read, but the concepts, the characters were utterly faithful and near-enough the same story, but in a different manner.
    Scott Pilgrim would of worked better as a TV mini series. There was too much to condense into a film and it suffered for that, on top of which Michael Cera was horribly miscast as Scott. The man (and I use the term loosely given he has the body of a 12 year old) has zero charisma to him. They needed someone who if not conventionally pretty, possessed the chops to carry a film as a lead, someone like Joseph Gordon Levitt for instance. Scott Pilgrim is not some nebbish asexual, the dude has a bunch of women fighting over him. Terrible fiend casting by Edgar Wright there.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  4. #444
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Scott Pilgrim would of worked better as a TV mini series. There was too much to condense into a film and it suffered for that, on top of which Michael Cera was horribly miscast as Scott. The man (and I use the term loosely given he has the body of a 12 year old) has zero charisma to him. They needed someone who if not conventionally pretty, possessed the chops to carry a film as a lead, someone like Joseph Gordon Levitt for instance. Scott Pilgrim is not some nebbish asexual, the dude has a bunch of women fighting over him. Terrible fiend casting by Edgar Wright there.
    But Kadayi, that's how every other anime plays out: Perennial loser (who the audience, no matter how base, can identify with) finds himself entangled in a veritable harem of beautiful women who all fawn over him for no goddamn reason.

    The Japanese have been pumping that story for years. It's only recently, however, that the likes of Edgar Wright and Kevin Smith and Judd Apatow have picked up on this.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  5. #445
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,146
    Yeah actually, you may not like it but actually it is part of the story so Cera was actually perfect casting lol

  6. #446
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,418
    He really was. It's not made as apparent in the film, but he really is a jerk in the graphic novels. It's why him and Ramona work (or do they? I choose to believe they do) because they're both kinda jerks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    This strikes me as a very reasonable basis for objecting to the adaptation, although it has no force for me personally.
    Yeah, I can understand it, I just don't think it's necessary to completely disown it. While there certainly is one perspective shown, the 'good' protagonist and it's largely said 'good', there are definitely things there to see that he's not exactly great either. Considering he [spoilers]tortures Evey[/spoilers]...look, I'm not saying the film is an amazing adaptation, although I'll certainly say it's good, but I don't think it was bad enough to disown it.

    Whatever, it's still a great film. That ending is magnificent regardless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lilliput King View Post
    I don't object to the use of metaphor. A 2 hour metaphor that expresses nothing more complex than "fascism is bad" though; that's a fucking bore.
    That's quite limiting of the film. It wasn't just 'fascism is bad', it was what it can do to people, on both sides of it.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 07-05-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: actually making the spoiler is covered
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  7. #447
    Just watched The Avengers. Oof. Was pretty good.

  8. #448
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Was it the adaptation or the original? The adaptation's boring as fuck while the other gave me a few jump scares, at least.

    But I gotta say, Thai horror movies are much better than the Japanese horrors in my experience
    The original. I have no interest in the remake. The scares in Ju-on were so telegraphed that the only two scenes I found impressive/unnerving were the one with the television and the climax, where the curse was passed on to Rika.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Was that sound suppose to be scary?
    Apparently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I am interested to know what you mean by this; I am not terribly well acquainted with Baz Luhrmann (although I have seen Strictly Ballroom and Moulin Rouge!) but Zack Snyder is now quite solidly on my radar following Sucker Punch.
    Cheap-looking greenscreen/matte effects 100% of the time? Check. Ridiculous musical numbers that don't fit the scene whatsoever? Check. Frequent bastardizations of beloved classics? Check. Adoring git fanbase? Check.

  9. #449
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    But Kadayi, that's how every other anime plays out: Perennial loser (who the audience, no matter how base, can identify with) finds himself entangled in a veritable harem of beautiful women who all fawn over him for no goddamn reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Yeah actually, you may not like it but actually it is part of the story so Cera was actually perfect casting lol
    I disagree. I think Scott needed something going for him in the charisma department, and Cera certainly didn't have it.

    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    He really was. It's not made as apparent in the film, but he really is a jerk in the graphic novels. It's why him and Ramona work (or do they? I choose to believe they do) because they're both kinda jerks.
    Sure Scott is a jerk, but he's still got some personality. Cera is anonymous. Still we shall have to agree to differ. Film started off well (Cera aside), but felt rushed towards the end. Pity.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  10. #450
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Cheap-looking greenscreen/matte effects 100% of the time? Check. Ridiculous musical numbers that don't fit the scene whatsoever? Check. Frequent bastardizations of beloved classics? Check. Adoring git fanbase? Check.
    And here I thought you were going to say something interesting. Oh well.

  11. #451
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I disagree. I think Scott needed something going for him in the charisma department, and Cera certainly didn't have it.
    Then I suggest you avoid anime, because it'd likely give you an aneurysm.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  12. #452
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Then I suggest you avoid anime, because it'd likely give you an aneurysm.
    Cera can only play that "oh, okay" character he always plays sadly. Comics Scott was confident and assertive, movie Scott was just passive classic cera. He's pretty much the Nick Cage of our generation.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  13. #453
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Surely you mean Keanu Reeves?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  14. #454
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Yeah, same one trick pony.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  15. #455
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,240
    I can't inject interest into shitty, boring directors, sorry.

  16. #456
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,146
    You cant really damn a director for a technique pretty much every film is doing now a days.

  17. #457
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,526
    Picked up 投名状 (The Warlords) earlier today for a paltry sum. It's one of those movies that comes up every now then in discussions about Chinese and Hong Kong movies, usually in a positive context, but one that I haven't yet seen - probably because there was a tidal wave of mass-scale historic action movies from China a few years ago, some better than others, and this one - despite it's good cast - just slipped by. In any case, I'm curious to see how it turns out.

    Recently had a chance to see
    暗いところで待ち合わせ (Waiting in the Dark). 田中麗奈 (Rena Tanaka) and 陳柏霖 (Bo-lin Chen) both do a good job portraying their respective main characters. 井川遥 (Haruka Igawa) also has a small part in this movie. The story itself is quite interesting; a person is pushed on to the tracks at a small railway station, and a blind girl who lives near the station starts to suspect there is a second person in the house. Small events on the sideline turn out to be important, making the somewhat curious conclusion quite acceptable.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 07-05-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  18. #458
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Yeah, I can understand it, I just don't think it's necessary to completely disown it. While there certainly is one perspective shown, the 'good' protagonist and it's largely said 'good', there are definitely things there to see that he's not exactly great either. Considering he [spoilers]tortures Evey[/spoilers]...look, I'm not saying the film is an amazing adaptation, although I'll certainly say it's good, but I don't think it was bad enough to disown it.

    Whatever, it's still a great film. That ending is magnificent regardless.
    It's definitely possible for a film to be a terrible adaptation and yet a great film in its own right, even aside from the question of whether a good adaptation is one that adheres slavishly to the original text. Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is a terrible adaptation of Heinlein's novel by any standard, and yet it is also fucking awesome. Ultimately I think works should be judged on their own merit, but I don't begrudge fans of the original text for being unable to look past it. At most I just wish they didn't dominate the discussion so much. Course that's just because I haven't read any of the comics. ;)

  19. #459
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,146
    I find adaptations hard to gauge because i have been on both sides where i was dissapointed in a film adaptation not being close to the book and not really caring about some films not being close to the book because i hadnt read it.

  20. #460
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,058
    I watched Chronicle this weekend, it's the one where some male American teenagers get superpowers, and it does that thing with the wobbly camera to make it seem realistic or something. It was good though, well done effects, doesn't pull its punches and it means there's no need for that awful sounding live action Akira remake.
    Last edited by Jockie; 09-05-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •