Page 24 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by jasminemigs View Post
    "The Decent","Online Therapy" "The Notebook"
    Oh god, this is hilarious.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I thought "Online Therapy" kind of sucked. Not enough explosions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Casablanca - A classic but I have to say deservadly so, it is constructed really well and I enjoyed watcing it which is unusual for an older film(I'm sorry if i'm being a philistine but these films are a bit boring, The Third Man and Citizen Kane I nearly fell asleep watching). I knew the ending(everyone does even if you haven't watched it) but it was enjoyable getting to it and the characters were really quite well drawn and had three dimensions. Probably my favourite was Louie who was a real slimy politician like guy who did right at the end and the actor playing him nailed the charm and also the humour of the character. I can see why people really like this film.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Casablanca - A classic but I have to say deservadly so, it is constructed really well and I enjoyed watcing it which is unusual for an older film(I'm sorry if i'm being a philistine but these films are a bit boring, The Third Man and Citizen Kane I nearly fell asleep watching). I knew the ending(everyone does even if you haven't watched it) but it was enjoyable getting to it and the characters were really quite well drawn and had three dimensions. Probably my favourite was Louie who was a real slimy politician like guy who did right at the end and the actor playing him nailed the charm and also the humour of the character. I can see why people really like this film.
    That movie defines classic.

And predictable though it is, you'd best be watching the Maltese Falcon next...

Watched The Godfather last night and of all the deaths I've seen in the movie, only one sticks into my head. I won't spoil for all of you who haven't watched it but let's say one of them died a perfect death.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Iron Sky. Such a comedy I watched. I learnt of it from a thread in this board back when this movie was not out yet.

Basically it is just mocking the dirty contemporary international politics. When I better not discuss too much on spoiler. Enjoy yourselves.

Obscure Node
    The Raid. Lot of hype about it but it is entirely justified. Think the corridor scene from oldboy stretched out into a film. Actually thats a terrible description.

TBH words cannot do the film justice. You just have to see it if you have ever had even a passing interest in action or martial arts films. Plus it has some of the most inventive finishing moves ever. Watch out for the one involving the bottom half of a broken door!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Watched the Batman Year One animated film, Liked it. Hope there's gonna be a sequel someday.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Watched Hugo. Boy was that ever an overrated piece of faff. I thought it was going to end as any semblance of a mystery was solved with some 20 minutes to go. Then it just lectures you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Prometheus

No spoilers here. My biggest problem with this movie is that the mystery part is so detatched from everything else it's almost unrelated. Thinking of why things happened and what was the motivation of some characters, that was fun, but only after I left the theater and grabbed a beer. What happened on screen made me laugh and roll eyes and I wasn't the only one. Maybe Russian dub killed it, that happens quite often, but not this time I think. Unintentional comedy was so dense I could watch it without sound and still laugh.

I paid 160 ru to see it, roughly 5 dollars. Thats why I'm not angry at the bullshit I had to witness. I pity people who spent more, this kind of stuff you watch on bluray at home. If you have godlike suspension of disbelief.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 02-06-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Prometheus

No spoilers here. My biggest problem with this movie is that the mystery part is so detatched from everything else it's almost unrelated. Thinking of why things happened and what was the motivation of some characters, that was fun, but only after I left the theater and grabbed a beer. What happened on screen made me laugh and roll eyes and I wasn't the only one. Maybe Russian dub killed it, that happens quite often, but not this time I think. Unintentional comedy was so dense I could watch it without sound and still laugh.

I paid 160 ru to see it, roughly 5 dollars. Thats why I'm not angry at the bullshit I had to witness. I pity people who spent more, this kind of stuff you watch on bluray at home. If you have godlike suspension of disbelief.
    I enjoyed it but I didn't like it. I'm not sure if that makes sense. It stands out as a theatrical achievement, but so many plot holes, weak story threads etc. I would definitely try to get the english version at some point, because Fassbender is once again amazing and I'd doubt he'd be as impressive dubbed over.

Network Hub
    Yeah I really don't know what to think. It's almost two films in one, with the wider mystery of where the xenomorphs come from and who created them in one half, and then sort of the motivations of Weyland and the characters in the other half.

I think muddled is a very good description. Not bad, but it's like a big mess of ideas that don't all come together. I have to say it felt like an alien film, if that means anything. The combination of technology and eerie body horror of the Engineers as they're called, still works. Their whole design, obviously stemming from H. R. Giger, still feels so oppressive and just weird. I'm not a huge reader of science fiction so seeing an alien design like that on screen still fascinates me.

There were a few moments that made the fanboy in me a bit giddy. I thought Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender were great. The secondary characters weren't really given any time other than some broad ideas of what they were like.

And I still can't tell if knowing more spoils the whole thing. Depends where they take things next, I suppose.

The Tree of Life: Not nearly as good as The Fountain.
    The Interrupters: The first forty-five minutes were interesting. And then it went on for another hour.
    12 Angry Men (again): Still only 'mildly interesting'.
    Carnage: Yeah... ok. Not exactly Polanski's most memorable work.
    The Grey: Yes!
    Last edited by Rii; 03-06-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Vision - Aus dem Leben der Hildegard von Bingen (2009) by Margarethe von Trotta. While the eponymous protagonist of the film is obviously an interesting woman, I think the film suffered from the director's desire to tell an entire life story. As a result there were quite a few time jumps and 'representative scenes' that just didn't feel very connected. Perhaps by singling out one particular event or period it would have been possible to get a more in-depth appreciation of Hildegard's talents and struggles.

Either way, though probably not a great film, it's still decent enough to watch if you're interested in medieval European history.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    So, Prometheus is the best Alien-related movie since 1986. That's about the nicest thing I can say about it.

Probably wasn't Ridley's fault.

Watched Kick Ass again last night. Brilliant film.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    Watched Kick Ass again last night. Brilliant film.
    Have you seen Super? It's very much the same sort of film, but a bit darker! Good fun though. Stars Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page.

I didn't like Kickass. The action scenes were great, and Nicolas Cage was pretty good. But I thought that everything else was just filler.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Probably wasn't Ridley's fault.
    It's Ridley's fault. The dude lost it. Remember how he ruined Robin Turd? Same thing happened here.
    All the half-assed ideas and themes are his. Lindelof confirms it in interviews - plus he's a hack and his writing is piss-poor and that only makes things worse.

Shadow 19 is a much better script. Such a shame it was cannibalised to make Prometheus.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    What exactly didn't you folks like about Prometheus?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    It's Ridley's fault. The dude lost it. Remember how he ruined Robin Turd? Same thing happened here.
    All the half-assed ideas and themes are his. Lindelof confirms it in interviews - plus he's a hack and his writing is piss-poor and that only makes things worse.

Shadow 19 is a much better script. Such a shame it was cannibalised to make Prometheus.
    I didn't see Robin Hood, but the "ideas and themes" were not at issue. The motivations implicit, sure, but that's entirely on the writer (who, I must agree, is a worthless hack.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    What exactly didn't you folks like about Prometheus?
    Most of the characters were really irritating and stupid.
    Last edited by sabrage; 11-06-2012 at 04:35 AM.