Page 30 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Zimmer doesn't even write most of his scores anymore. He's got an army of composers at his studio. They recycle a lot too.

The funny thing about Hans Zimmer and me, is I didn't even generally noticed his OSTs (you know, like it's not even there) until I watched Inception. The slow down/mix with Edith Piaf is pretty clever, and the inclusion of guitar work (which I later discovered was by The Smiths' guitarist) made it stand out for me.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Funny, I left with pretty much the reverse opininon. Really liked the movie and especially the nods to the comic books (duh), but Hans Zimmer's music, while bombastic, is something I've heard a million times already - the man keeps making the same score for every movie he works with.
    I think not having watched Inception or many of his other recent works helped. The rest of the film, well, it has a nonsensical plot, full of holes, that wouldn't feel out of place in a Michael Bay movie, the villains' motivations for what they did didn't hold any water with me. Anne Hathaway was good but all action sequences involving were jarring, Bane's voice, though intimidating, didn't suit him at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'm so glad they went with that depiction of Bane, actually true to character.

The film was great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Pitch Black: They really should've known better than to use all those filters. Alternatively: Pretty good for a movie shot by some guys who thought all those filters were a good idea.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Oh, for fuck's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Pitch Black: They really should've known better than to use all those filters. Alternatively: Pretty good for a movie shot by some guys who thought all those filters were a good idea.
    The color filters in Pitch Black are great because they're a meaningful part of the story! The planet has three suns with semi-permenant daylight in differing spectra of light and one month long eclipse every 22 years. Filters are sometimes used poorly or abused or overused, but that's not the case in Pitch Black.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Unfortunately I listened to a couple of Internet reviewers before going to see Dark Knight Rises. No huge spoilers, but they told me they found it underwhelming for a third and final film. I'm here to say that was bullshit. Rises was huge, it was epic, it's quality was on par with the previous two Batman films. Yes it has holes and the combat was a bit hard to follow (exactly the other two Batman films), but overall it's a great movie and such a satisfying conclusion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I had two problems with Rises, one being audible dialogue (namely, sometimes it wasn't) and the length. It was well paced and I never looked at my watch to see, but I felt it didn't need to be 2hr45m. That being said, the final few scenes were paced amazingly. It was a thoroughly excellent film. What a stunning trilogy.

There were a few cheers, laughs and other cinema-expected noises, but the best laugh came from a sequence near the end where [spoiler]after the bomb-truck was disabled, having fallen off the damn road, there's a cut to Gordon who somehow appears unharmed![/spoiler] Talk about a man of steel! The best cheer, however? Every time the bat-pod was used. Every. That thing is ridiculously cool.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Taken gets better every time I watch it.

I thought Taken was pretty stupid. Here's a guy who's just had a meetup with his old commando friends, but he goes after his daughter's kidnappers solo. Liam Neeson is very good, but not every hero should be Jason Bourne. Wanted, despite also being flimsy, is somehow very entertaining to rewatch. I don't think I could sit through Taken twice.

The Man From Nowhere, on the other hand, I really enjoyed. It's Taken, but slower and more thoughtful (and S. Korean, with subtitles).

Summer Days with Coo.

Besides being really coo-te, is one of the most graceful animation films I've seen, and an interesting take on the topic of isolation.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Network Hub
    I have a burning urge to watch Tron again. That's a movie I loved as a kid and becomes more meaningful and enjoyable with every subsequent viewing over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    I thought Taken was pretty stupid. Here's a guy who's just had a meetup with his old commando friends, but he goes after his daughter's kidnappers solo. Liam Neeson is very good, but not every hero should be Jason Bourne. Wanted, despite also being flimsy, is somehow very entertaining to rewatch. I don't think I could sit through Taken twice.

The Man From Nowhere, on the other hand, I really enjoyed. It's Taken, but slower and more thoughtful (and S. Korean, with subtitles).
    It is stupid. Taken works solely because it's Liam Neeson, and it's as simple as that.

Wanted was horseshit: http://drakesdoomsdaycorner.blogspot...08/wanted.html

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I can barely resist the temptation to post that Wanted keyboard gif.

I watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Safe House the other day and thoroughly enjoyed both of them

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I also watched The Dark Knight Rises... for the first bit it was incredibly slow and you were kind of knowing it was spinning its wheels telling you plot lots and lots of plot! but once it got going it didn't stop gripping me to be honest. Bane is absolutly fantastic and has the most lovely voice I have ever heard in a villain I could literally have him tell me bed time stories he is that great and i was like "I can understand why people would follow this guy!" The last 45 mins or so was absolutely breathtaking, only really Inception compares with how much I was on the edge of my seat.

I do have to say i don't know if Christopher Nolan is a republican but it was kind of a bit bashing the ideas of the left wing....if you kind of agree with occupy wall street you might not like this movie. All in all i think its great and any other reservations i had about it like the pacing and the way some things were set up and had a bit of a disappointing ending(the whole "Rise" of the movie really) i have actually thought more and actually it does make more sense the way they went. Also one twist i didn't get another twist i got halfway through the movie.

Anyway I do recommend it!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I do have to say i don't know if Christopher Nolan is a republican but it was kind of a bit bashing the ideas of the left wing...
    Batman as a property is Republican. In the DC universe, there's a reason Batman was placed opposite of Superman. After all: Why compete with yourself? Because different audiences, that's why.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Taken gets better every time I watch it.
    Revenge movies/games is my soft spot.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Revenge movies/games is my soft spot.
    You must love Payback then.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR