Page 35 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Its definitely a weirder film then you might expect...I don't know if i truly call it a horror but it definitly has a creepy atmosphere and Jack Nicholson is great in it...I do have to say though it has the most WTF ending Kubrick has done since 2001 a Space odyssey

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    This gave me a much greater appreciation of The Shining (and House of Leaves, incidentally)

John Carter (AKA Blue & Orange: The Movie): Cranston and McNulty were largely wasted here. Overlong, ugly creature design, gibberish dialogue... But surprisingly watchable nonetheless. You're still probably better off watching something else. Is anyone else overwhelmingly bored with space operas?

Conspiritors Of Pleasure, a very black comedy,fantastic ending too; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117715/
    'Your sacrifice completes my sanctuary of a thousand testicles'
    My Steam profile

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    John Carter (AKA Blue & Orange: The Movie): Cranston and McNulty were largely wasted here. Overlong, ugly creature design, gibberish dialogue... But surprisingly watchable nonetheless. You're still probably better off watching something else. Is anyone else overwhelmingly bored with space operas?
    Thought John Carter was a tolerable piece of fluff. My wife liked it. Saw Battleship tonight and thought it was a bearable piece of faff. My wife liked it. Both were heavy on visual effects, light on plot.

I wouldn't be bored of space operas if they actually involved space travel and ships. I think I'm a bit tired of stuff set on the ground, like Battle: Los Angeles, the aforementioned Battleship, and etc.

I did consider appending "especially after the Battlestar Galactica reboot" to that statement, as everything else really pales in comparison.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Last night I watched Goon. I was better & funnier than I expected, even with a recommendation from a friend. Apparently it was based on a true story. Definitely worth a watch, especially if you're into hockey.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Last night I watched Goon. I was better & funnier than I expected, even with a recommendation from a friend. Apparently it was based on a true story. Definitely worth a watch, especially if you're into hockey.
    Goon was a lot better than it had any right to be, considering it stars Stiffler as a dimwit (which must've made for easy method acting!) I recommend it as well, it had a really canny sense of exactly what makes hockey awesome (namely, gratuitous violence.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Its definitely a weirder film then you might expect...I don't know if i truly call it a horror but it definitly has a creepy atmosphere and Jack Nicholson is great in it...I do have to say though it has the most WTF ending Kubrick has done since 2001 a Space odyssey
    The movies has some WTF moments indeed, it's an classic and the acting is not all that great but it's one of those movies you need to watch.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

I just watched God Bless America and must say I loved it; seldom do I so readily identify with a protagonist. This and Falling Down are my vicarious thrill movies, and if I ever am diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor I just might do something similar. I trust you good folks at RPS wouldn't identify me to the authorities, right?

Activated Node
    Two last movies i watched were The Bourne Legacy and The Election, both of them scary because they are probably a lot more true than i would like them to be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Valhalla Rising, from the director of Drive. I fucking hate Drive and this movie shares many of its flaws, but it's a lot more interesting.
    Mads Mikkelsen plays a mute one-eyed Viking with incredible combat skills. He joins a band of christians who want to reach Jerusalem but they end up in Newfoundland instead. Cue indians.

Just like in Drive there's a lot of staring and apathetic faces. It apes the style of better directors but it does not capture their spark. Much of the acting is painfully wooden. Mads Mikkelsen steals the show without saying a word.
    Where the movie succeeds in spades is in cinematography. It's truly captivating. It's framed like a comic book. The locations - dark, rainy, moody Scottish highlands, forests and lochs - are superb. All the props and costumes are wonderful. Despite its narrative and acting flaws, I was glued to the screen just because it was so damn beautiful. The soundtrack is pretty good too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Not a film for those with a weak stomach though.

I watched The Bourne Identity last night, it was quite good. I liked the europop/trance that made up most of the soundtrack, which made a change from the usual US fare.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I thought Drive was interesting i do agree though it was more cinematography then film to me...It did have a bit to many Ryan Gosling walking towards or away from the camera though...and the plot was like half the movie

Refn needs to stick to outgoing, charismatic characters like Bronson. They serve as a better foil to his film-making techniques.

Fright Night; decent twist on the vampire premise.

Just watched The Dark Knight Rises. I enjoyed it, but felt it would have ended better had the final shot of the final scene been cut, leaving Michael Cain's nod as the ending. As it is it felt too Hollywood, but I guess that should be expected from such a big picture.

Also, anyone else wonder where the stock exchange motorcycles came from?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Just watched The Dark Knight Rises. I enjoyed it, but felt it would have ended better had the final shot of the final scene been cut, leaving Michael Cain's nod as the ending. As it is it felt too Hollywood, but I guess that should be expected from such a big picture.

Two of Chris's movies in a row ending with ambiguous cliffhangers? The cinema would have rioted, and the newspapers might say M Night Shyamalan's evil teachings live on.

I think when it comes to massive trilogies we prefer everything neatly wrapped up. Lord of the Rings went on for a gluttonous half an hour after the end of the quest to show us what happened to all these characters who we had so much time and emotion invested in.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 14-08-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

Same place where the perfectly timed buses with a gap for the Joker came in TDK.