Page 38 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast
    No time-travel, that's for sure. But seriously, most of the time, it's more or less about cute girls doing cute things when it comes to SoL anime (though I freaking love Yotsuba&! but that's a different story).

Back on topic, I rewatched the first Hellboy again. Apart from a nostalgia burst, man, I could spot a lot of plot holes in this movie. Not that bad, though. Just the cast gets a bit out of character in here, Hellboy included
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Cabin in The Woods, and its quite medicore horror flick,i mean only good thing were some monster designs. Also twist was kinda obvious lol,people claimed its ONE OF THE BEST HORROR MOVIES OF THE LAST FEW YEARS..screw them.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Cabin in The Woods, and its quite medicore horror flick,i mean only good thing were some monster designs. Also twist was kinda obvious lol,people claimed its ONE OF THE BEST HORROR MOVIES OF THE LAST FEW YEARS..screw them.
    You have no soul if you do not think that the last act is the most fun you can have in a cinema.

I am a Joss Whedon über-fan, so maybe take my words with a grain of salt, but Cabin is smart, funny and constantly unexpected. It isn't very scary, but it is easily this generation's Scream (but much, much better.). Horror fans will probably appreciate it more, particular the references to various classic monsters (e.g. Angry Molesting Tree.) Can't wait for the Blu-Ray release, as it is definitely a film that rewards re-watches.

Also Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins. They are as perfect with each other as you could imagine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I loved The Expendables 2. Hated the first one. But this sequel is awesome. The audience went nuts many times, and especially when Norris and Arnold were on screen.
    For someone who grew up with '80s and early '90s action movies this is heaven. It's full of action, gore, humour and cringeworthy drama.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Cabin in the Woods is no more a horror film than American Psycho. I went in expecting nothing and I was pleasantly surprised, as I think many were. If you didn't enjoy it, I really have to question whether you were bright enough to recognize the tropes being torn to shreds.

The Avengers: no explanation needed!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Going through the list of recommendation, I've just enjoyed Saved! and it's good. Not amazing; it gets a bit too sweet at the end and is a little on-the-nose throughout, not to mention being so overwhelmingly predictable, but it wears these all on its sleeve and it's rides them out. It's not the best film ever, but it is definitely enjoyable. The oddest thing about it all though was that it came out in 2004 when it absolutely has the feel of something from 20 years prior. I don't know if that was intentional or not. Not that this is bad (or good) it just is.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Netflix just put Beverly Hills Cop up, which I had never seen. In addition to being hilarious and gratuitously violent, I wasn't expecting to see this guy again so soon:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Compiling a list of films to watch for a So Bad It's Good day. The list currently includes:
    Plan 9 From Outer Space (not seen)
    Torque (not seen)
    The Man Who Saves The World/Turkish Star Wars (have seen)
    Flash Gordon (I'm conflicted as to whether or not it's bad/good, or if its incredible hamminess makes it seem like it's bad despite the fact it's good fun)

Can people offer any other recommendations? I'm fully aware that I could just take the list of films used in Mystery Science Theater, but those films tended to simply be So Bad It's Awful. These films need to be so unrelentingly rubbish that they somehow loop back on themselves and become genuinely entertaining. I've excluded Snakes On A Plane due the fact it was and remains pretty damn popular.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Can people offer any other recommendations?
    There's always tvtropes for such things. Personally I'd go for:

• Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    • Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!
    • Night of the Comet
    • Pootie Tang
    • Black Belt Jones
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

While most of Bruce Campbell's career fits the bill, my personal favorite is the 1992 Mindwarp. The wiki provides a pretty good description of why, but it may be better to go in blind (as I did).

Also, Nic Cage's Wicker Man.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Also, Nic Cage's Wicker Man.
    Ohgodyes. That's definitely so bad its good. I'd add pretty much all of Nic Cage's recent movies, like 'Season of the Witch', etc.
    I actually quite liked Torque in a "it's pretty cliche, but certainly not terrible"-kinda way, although I may have been easy on it because the leading man is a kiwi.

I haven't seen Season of the Witch, but I've heard great things (medieval buddy cop starrying Nic Cage and Ron Perlman? It's like they know me) Counter to most of his recent repertoire, Bad Lieutenant was legitimately an awesome movie. (I thought Kick-Ass was execrable for reasons unrelated to Cage)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    There's also Street Fighter (1994) and Dungeons and Dragons (2000), both of which have a main villain who gives a splooge-worthy performance and are very quotable. I don't know if you can count Kung Pow: Enter the Fist because it's intentionally bad, it's basically a few of guys hilariously dubbing over an old kung fu movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Season of the witch started interesting,and it followed the same route until the "grand finale" which was total crap in my opinion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It wasn't much of a horror film, but it was a damn enjoyable film all the same. The ending scenes were brilliant and as someone mentioned possibly the most fun you can have in the cinema.

Recently saw Expendables 2. It was everything I wanted it to be. Yes it's a stupid action movie with stupid action movie heros but that doesn't stop it being fun to watch. The opening scene made me feel seven again and if it wasn't for the toy store being closed I would've spent all my money on CORPS action figures and gone out my back to recreate that scene again!

Keep meaning to watch Suckerpunch. Was a christmas present from last year that's still sitting in it's box.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    There's also Street Fighter (1994)... a main villain who gives a splooge-worthy performance and are very quotable.
    Oh, indeed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Every Bison dollar will be worth five British pounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    There's always tvtropes for such things.
    Already looked there. Certainly drawn some inspiration from it.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    More thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Additional thoughts
    More additional thoughts
    Thanks guys, appreciate it!