Page 39 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Arrival - 1996 b-movie with Charlie Sheen. Apparently Half-Life borrowd a lot of things from this one. From Gordon Freeman face( yes, it's based on Charlie Sheen before he started doing cocaine) to Test chamber, even aliens with backward knees. Movie itself is hilariously bad, but at least its aware of it and tries to lighten the mood with jokes and Charlie Sheen is a joke anyway, can't watch his movies without laughing.
    You don't know bad until you've seen The Room. ;p

Which I watched the other day, it's both the best and the worst movie ever made.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Now that I've thought about it, pretty much anything by Russ Meyer qualifies as So Bad It's Good. Faster, Pussycat Kill! Kill! excepted; that one's so good it's awesome.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Watched MIB3,i didn't liked it..Its like majoroity of movies sucks these days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Watched Expendables 2 tonight. It was a big step up from the first but still nowhere near as good as it could have been. They really need to get a great writer like Shane Black to work on it and get John Woo to direct.

Also hope they don't get Seagal to be in 3. Can't stand that guy. At least the poster would be funny...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Both films I watched on TV today and despite having already seen them, I'll jot them down because what the hey?

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a bad film that should feel bad. My entertainment from it this evening derived from an almost Mystery Science Theater commentary with my friend (who hadn't seen it) while watching it. Anyhow, it would be bad, but it doesn't exist, so who cares?

District 9, on the other hand, very much does exist and is an excellent sci-fi film. Shot as a documentary, it deals really well with the question of "What would really happen if aliens came to Earth?" The answer; we'd treat them really badly. Scripting, pacing and visuals are all extremely well done. I strongly recommend it, regardless of whether or not you like sci-fi (perhaps more so if you enjoy social commentary).
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    • Black Belt Jones
    Worth it just for the soundtrack.

Aaaaaaaaanyway. What've I watched recently...

Seven Samurai. Don't suppose I need to say much about this one? Been a couple years since I watched it, and it's still damn good. I drank the last of my rather fine dai-ginjo Okunomatsu sake with it. So that was sad too. It hardly seems fair that the liquor stores back in Waterloo carried all kinds of fine oriental drinkables, and up here in Sudbury I'm lucky to get bulk Hakutsuru. Student demographics for ya, I guess.

The next night I watched A Fistful of Dollars. Also good (again). I wanted to watch a Leone western, but I didn't have three hours to spend... Decent, but of course overshadowed by its two better sequels.

It only hit me later that I almost inadvertently watched Yojimbo right before Dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    District 9, on the other hand, very much does exist and is an excellent sci-fi film. Shot as a documentary, it deals really well with the question of "What would really happen if aliens came to Earth?" The answer; we'd treat them really badly. Scripting, pacing and visuals are all extremely well done. I strongly recommend it, regardless of whether or not you like sci-fi (perhaps more so if you enjoy social commentary).
    That's also what I loved so much about that movie. "What would really happen if aliens came to Earth?" Why, we'd treat them just like we treat each other, of course!

Well, and the effects were very good, it was a well shot and produced affair, and it was cool to see South Africa on film.
    Last edited by cjlr; 13-09-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a bad film that should feel bad. My entertainment from it this evening derived from an almost Mystery Science Theater commentary with my friend (who hadn't seen it) while watching it. Anyhow, it would be bad, but it doesn't exist, so who cares?
    Tintin is the real Indiana Jones 4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Thinking of getting this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnQ9V...layer_embedded
    i could enjoy it if doesn't take the LARPing nonsense seriously. I am hoping for a biting satire of RPG gamers who take it too far.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Prometheus

Enjoyed it a lot, great to see a new species introduced in to the Ripeyerse.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Prometheus

Enjoyed it a lot, great to see a new species introduced in to the Ripeyerse.
    what a coincidence! Just watched it. Way below my expectations.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    what a coincidence! Just watched it. Way below my expectations.
    The best way to watch movies is to have no expectations, this way it never disappoints. :P

Lesser Hivemind Node

The second half with all the actiony bits was a bit underwhelming. They should have kept the tone and pace of the first half throughout the movie. Still, it's one of my favorite sci-fi movies and I really want to see where Blomkamp goes with this. Another great scifi movie that came out in the same year as D9 is Moon, absolutely worth watching.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Really liked the idea of a friendly alien race visiting, only for people to eventually realise the aliens don't have the answers to the universe and aren't going to fix all their problems, so they drop the aliens like last month's fad after the initial excitement has worn off. "Bugger this, guys. Let's go back to our I-Pad 5's!" I think that says more about the human race than the paper thin allegory being used to portray racism or immigration.

Watched Avengers last night. Quite enjoyable, though it felt too short.

Also, pretty disappointed in myself; I had completely failed to connect the tesseract stuff from the various movies with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Watched Avengers last night. Quite enjoyable, though it felt too short.

Also, pretty disappointed in myself; I had completely failed to connect the tesseract stuff from the various movies with each other.
    Would it be longer people would have complained it was too long.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I found it a bit to long, not enough to really be bored but still enough to look at my watch,

Would it be longer people would have complained it was too long.
    yeah, no doubt. And it is also different to watch it at home than in a theater, of course.
    I think I just missed the more fleshed out characters from the movies about the individual heroes, but of course, they couldn't spend that much time on each in Avengers.

Obscure Node
    Watched Resident Evil last nigh, the latest one on cinema.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    The best way to watch movies is to have no expectations, this way it never disappoints. :P

I am left with 27 minutes of movie,now i need to wait for sis to come home..but otherwise hour and half of movie i watched was quite good,i thought movie is going to suck because people put it down here on forums but i was pleasantly surprised ^^ One of the better movies this year certantly,and can't wait to see what happens in the end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I picked up the Stanley Kubrick collection because I hadn't seen any of his movies till a few weeks ago. The Shining was brilliant, though I found it hard not to laugh in some places because it's been parodied so much over the years by shows like The Simpsons or Spaced.