Page 41 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunistHamster View Post
    Just saw Looper. Action film/neo-western of the year imo.

Oh god yes, instantly made it "Top10 movies evar." Near perfect blend of drama, comedy, action and thinking-mans-film with good premise, engaging story that grabs you with many different themes and motifs, genuine plot-twists that throw real curve-balls, very plausible but cool depiction of the future, and beautiful cinematography to top it all off.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I hated the Owen Wilson knock-off from The Cabin in the Woods. Why not get Owen himself? Who cares about his age?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I hated the Owen Wilson knock-off from The Cabin in the Woods. Why not get Owen himself? Who cares about his age?
    Be glad they at least gotten Thor in this movie. ;p
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Be glad they at least gotten Thor in this movie. ;p

And some of the Buffy cast as well.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by CommunistHamster View Post
    Just saw Looper. Action film/neo-western of the year imo.
    + Jeff Daniels.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I really wanted the film to continue when it ended.

It was a clever idea but one thing they didn't explain was why it's always dumb teenagers being the victim in horror movies.

*spoiler*
    Oh let's try to jump across this cliff this seems completely safe
    * spoiler ends*

I enjoy horror movies as it's own thing but I hate dumb written characters.
    They did explain it.

*spoiler*

They weren't dumb teens. They're all doing rather well in college and studying things like sociology etc. None of them start out as "jocks", "sluts" or "dumbasses", even the stoner character was pretty intelligent, albeit stoned a lot. The agency behind it all used chems to turn them into the dumb sterotypes we see in horror movies. The "slut" had chems in her hair dye, the "jock" was being drugged through beer and pheromones in the air.

The reason they were all teens was because historically, it's young people who were sacrificed to the god, not the elderly (probably no small part on it being the elders doing the sacrificing.)

*end-eth the spoiler*

Also, who was "the owen wilson" knock off? The stoner guy? He was one of my favourite characters. I didn't associate him with Wilson at all. It's probably worth noting however, that during the filming of Cabin in the Woods, Wilson was staying low key after a suicide attempt following personal issues.

I saw Crimson Tide yesterday and it was surprisingly good. Not to mention a bit ridiculous at times (the counter-counter-counterrevolution for one) but there were loads of powerful scenes, plus the potential beginning for the Pirates of the Caribbean theme for Hans Zimmer. Or it sounded quite a bit like that at least so...

I was surprisingly friendly towards the idea of the film though, and it does strike me that not everyone would have a similar attitude there. WWIII is a tricky topic after all, and starting one even more, especially given the politics were not that well explained to make everything obvious to the viewer but I was left happy enough. :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just saw Prometheus. Loved it. The symbolism and allegory takes the film from summer blockbuster to another level. If only they had fixed the plot holes and glitches, and had better characterization and dialogue; this movie could have been one of the best films of the year.

The Expendables 2. My wife and I enjoyed it.

I'm going to watch Prometheus tonight!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Saw Looper yesterday; it was quite an entertaining movie. Anyone else find children creepy after watching it?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    They did explain it.

*spoiler*

They weren't dumb teens. They're all doing rather well in college and studying things like sociology etc. None of them start out as "jocks", "sluts" or "dumbasses", even the stoner character was pretty intelligent, albeit stoned a lot. The agency behind it all used chems to turn them into the dumb sterotypes we see in horror movies. The "slut" had chems in her hair dye, the "jock" was being drugged through beer and pheromones in the air.

The reason they were all teens was because historically, it's young people who were sacrificed to the god, not the elderly (probably no small part on it being the elders doing the sacrificing.)

*end-eth the spoiler*

Also, who was "the owen wilson" knock off? The stoner guy? He was one of my favourite characters. I didn't associate him with Wilson at all. It's probably worth noting however, that during the filming of Cabin in the Woods, Wilson was staying low key after a suicide attempt following personal issues.
    Was just about to post this explanation myself. The one part of the film I was disappointed with was the fact they didn't hang around with the real characters long enough. It is something they discuss a little bit in the commentary actually, which is well worth a listen for those that liked the film (Joss Whedon commentaries are always excellent. Definitely can recommend many of the Buffy ones.)

As for the "Owen Wilson" guy (seriously? He is ten times better than that), he is Fran Kranz. He was previously in Whedon's Dollhouse playing Topher, the tech guy. He had some of the best scenes in that show too. Don't know anything else he has done though.

As for Looper, I saw that last week and quite enjoyed it. The plot is completely nonsensical, but you don't question the time mechanics too much whilst watching and it is fun while it lasts. I could have done with the farmhouse section being cut down a bit though.
    Last edited by Vandelay; 07-10-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Just watched Tim & Eric's Million Dollar Movie a couple of nights ago. It was funny but really depressing. Walked away with a bit of a bitter taste. I still love them, though.

Last night, finally got around to watching Network (1976) and oh my God. One of my top 20 films, I think. Just a brilliant, brilliant script and every actor nailed it. So much epic monologue.

Edit: Oh, wait, and like half a week ago I saw Taken 2 as a joke with a bunch of friends. Thankfully, it was more than shite enough to be geniunely hilarious most of the time. Was also nice to see the rest of the cinema laughing at it, too, thus not making us spoilsport dicks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So this evening was Looper evening. It's like Inception in that it's a very well stitched together film that's highly enjoyable, but I highly, highly doubt it'd stand up under repeat viewing. My problem with Looper is that its internal logic makes not a blind bit of sense. It uses so many different ideas of time travel that all start to contradict each other that as soon as the end happens, you realise there's a massive hole in logic. Still, it has some moments:
    -It plays with cause & effect pretty well at times. The best parts are generally little things, whilst the worst, as stated above, break all kinds of logic.
    -The make-up on Joseph Gordon-Levitt is very convincing and a good few shots as him as a younger Bruce Willis work eerily well.
    -Bruce Willis kicks ass.

I've seen a good few films at the cinema this year, more than I have for a bit. I have good hopes for Skyfall and the trailer for the film Argo that was attached to Looper looked interesting, but I have to say my film of the year so far remains The Muppets (others include The Hunger Games, The Dark Knight Rises, The Bourne Legacy).