Page 52 of 140 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2796
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I quite liked it,on other hand Book Of Eli..not so much. I mentioned it because it was more popular and widely known then Stake Land,but it wasn't any better at all. A blind men who fights like a bruce lee,give me a break pff..

Unicorn City turned up on Netflix, and the trailer is fairly accurate. While it fundamentally misunderstands how role-playing games work (and GMing, guilds, LARPing, etc), and the runaround with the cops is just incredibly stupid, it was well executed, fun to watch, and made me laugh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Hobbit in HFR 3D is incredible. You never saw anything like this before. Anyone saying it looks like a soap opera or TV interpolation is a fucking retard. The image quality is absolute perfection. It's like there is no screen. Everything looks so real and so right, it's staggering.

You think about 24fps movies and they seem real. Well, The Hobbit is the new standard and makes everything before it look dated. I have never seen such a crystal clear image before. It's crazy. Ghosting, juddering, flickering - ALL GONE. The camera is very mobile and the high framerate helps so, so much... I can't describe the awesomeness of panning or tracking shots in this format. Slow-motion scenes are sensational. Oh and how the fuck did we watch movies when 24fps is so detrimental to fast movement? A simple wooden scaffolding being shattered is impressive in HFR because you can SEE all the debris. The CGI characters are helped too, you feel their mass and they occupy the screen space a lot better than anything I saw before. HFR also captures more subtle facial animations. Gollum is real, guys.

Speaking of CGI characters: Azog, the pale orc, is played by Manu Bennett - Crixus from the Spartacus TV show. Azog is a mix of practical and CGI, like many other orcs in this movie. Yet I could see Manu being the creature. This character WILL convince people that performance capture really captures the actor. You don't see much, if any, of Andy Serkis playing a Gollum in real life. But Azog is incredibly similar to Crixus. Everything from the way he walks and talks to the facial tics and bloodthirsty eyes is similar to what you see in the TV show. It's Crixus, except that he's a monster. It's an insanely cool experience. This character shits all over Lurtz, by the way.

I saw The Hobbit after being awake for 30 hours (now I'm 48+). I loved the first act, which many reviewers claim it's a bore. The Rivendell scenes almost made me fall asleep, I had to force myself really hard to stay awake. I suspect in normal viewing conditions I would like them just fine.

And then the third act happens. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. It's easily the best hour of all four movies. I felt like I received an adrenaline shot. Action movie making at its finest. The setpieces, the crazy imagery, the Gollum scenes and narrative stakes - it's insanely fun. FUN FUN FUN.

There are a couple of moments of true brilliance in this movie. I'll whitetext what I feel are the strongest individual scenes:
    - Smaug's attack was freaky as hell. Especially when he enters the main hall and all you see are his legs and tail.
    - The dwarves cleaning the table. Really liked the choreography.
    - Radagast trying to cure the hedgehog while spiders try to get in
    - Radagast in Dol Guldur. The Witch-King fight was awesome. AND THEN YOU SEE MOTHERFUCKING SAURON. That's the best scene, IMO. His shadow form freaked me out really bad! And that rabbit tapping his foot was fucking brilliant.
    - The flashback of how Thorin got his nickname. Extraordinary visual design and slow-mo.
    - Gollum realising Bilbo has the ring
    - Bilbo sparing Gollum. I felt so bad for Gollum...
    - Thorin vs Azog. Bonus points for not killing Azog, he can keep being awesome for at least another movie!
    - The last scene is more effective than TTT's glimpse of Mordor.

End post.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I wasn't expecting much from Casa de mi Padre but it had me laughing throughout. In particular, the DEA agent speaking Spanish had me in stitches.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The Hobbit in HFR 3D is incredible.
    Damn you convinved me, gonna go and see it again in HFR. Enjoyed it in 2d so yay. Ironically I enjoyed the first 2/3rds the most and the last 1/3 the least. Though the scenes with Gollum were most excellent.
    Last edited by duff; 16-12-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Watched The Hobbit in standard 3d and it was most enjoyable, if not as good as the original trilogy.

It was nice to be back in middle earth, but the familiarity meant that there wasn't quite the sense of wonder that there was before. It did all feel a little too familiar.

I had a few little nitpicks with the way they handled things (dumb ending heroics and speech, riddles in the dark not actually being very scary and dark, a strange boring management meeting in the middle where saruman was almost a comedy character, etc..), but other than that it was a most enjoyable time.

I think the 2 main flaws were that the dwarves weren't really individual characters to care about (but that's something from the book that can't be handled really).

And also that they made the dwarves into some kind of unstoppable fighters. Because that removed a lot of the tension and logic. I kept wondering why they were running from 4-5 warg riders when they'd just killed a few dozen of them without breaking a sweat. Lots of things aren't going to make sense later now that they're undefeatable.

I really liked the slow opening in the shire though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The Hobbit in HFR 3D is incredible. You never saw anything like this before. Anyone saying it looks like a soap opera or TV interpolation is a fucking retard. The image quality is absolute perfection. It's like there is no screen. Everything looks so real and so right, it's staggering.
    Did you watch it in IMAX? I've heard so many reviews say the HFR wasn't good, but a few said it was better in IMAX. I wonder if that's the difference? If not, now i kind of wish i'd watched it in HFR. :-(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Did you watch it in IMAX? I've heard so many reviews say the HFR wasn't good, but a few said it was better in IMAX. I wonder if that's the difference? If not, now i kind of wish i'd watched it in HFR. :-(
    Three people I know saw it in IMAX HFR 3D (this is getting silly, it's like naming cars or something) and they all said the HFR was crap, the 3D was good in parts, but overall they don't think it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I wasn't expecting much from Casa de mi Padre but it had me laughing throughout. In particular, the DEA agent speaking Spanish had me in stitches.

Just watch it because of you and its quite bad movie,its a comedy and in one hour of watching it i laughed only at that scene where they sing at camp in desert,after that they smash bottles lol,otherwise not funny movie..

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Just watch it because of you and its quite bad movie,its a comedy and in one hour of watching it i laughed only at that scene where they sing at camp in desert,after that they smash bottles lol,otherwise not funny movie..
    Yes, it is a pretty bad movie. I rather think that's the point.

I thought Casa de mi Padre was good. not hilarious but good. and that guy when he lit 2 cigarettes and was smoking both of them was quite funny.
    Lookin' 4 Indie Bundles? We track 'em! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    I saw it in a regular cinema but it was the biggest screen and I was in the fourth row so it filled my entire field of view, IMAX-style. I usually sit further away from the screen but this was a last minute booking... and I'm glad it turned out that way. Since there is no strobing the experience was like seeing a play, except that the stage is full of impossible things and changes every couple of seconds.

Real IMAX will only have The Hobbit in 24fps and film. Digital IMAX (LieMAX!) has the 48fps version (not all of them).

I went to see The Hobbit tonight in regular old standard mode. Two friends who previously went to the 3D HFR IMAX version and hated it also came along and came out of the movie with a new found enjoyment for it. They said it was much better in standard than 3D HFR IMAX because a) the slo-mo sceens don't take an age and b) the fast scenes are watchable.

I loved it if only for just looking at it. I loved the dwarves and the story and the scenery. A few bad CGI moments aside it was great.

I think your friends are trolling because a) doesn't make any sense and b) HFR makes the fast scenes crystal clear instead of a blurry, juddering mess.

Is the story centered around hobits,because i hated those little fucks in LOTR movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Is the story centered around hobits,because i hated those little fucks in LOTR movies.
    No, it's like A Clockwork Orange, the title is actually unrelated to the content of the film. They don't even say "An Unexpected Journey" in the script so I don't know what that's all about.

It really should have been called There and Back Again.

And now I see that's what the third movie is to be titled.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 18-12-2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: more intel

Saw The Mummy again after so many years. While I enjoyed it when I was a kid, it felt kinda old now, with the cheesy CGI and all. It was still fun and still different than all the zombie movies that keeps coming out every year. Why don't people make mummy movies anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    It really should have been called There and Back Again.

And now I see that's what the third movie is to be titled.
    I wonder what Bilbo would do after they killed Smaug in the second, considering the title is to be believed
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I hope he says "Smaug has been desolated!" as triumphantly as I'm imagining it in my head.

I think your friends are trolling because a) doesn't make any sense and b) HFR makes the fast scenes crystal clear instead of a blurry, juddering mess.
    Not for everyone it doesn't, HFR and 3D effects can vary massively from viewer to viewer. I know people who can't watch a 3D movie without getting massive headaches. There's plently of bad reactions to HFR and while I'll agree that you obviously were able to enjoy it, not everyone thinks its the dogs clackers and you can't just say "oh they're trolling" because you thought so.

I'd imagine the people who are unable to process the HFR are non-gamers or haven't played anything other than consoles running 30fps. All three of my friends who said the HFR was bad wouldn't play much on pc, so rarely see anything running at more than 30fps.

To expand on it, their a) was that the slo-mo scenes just seem to move extra slow, because through the rest of the movie people look like they're moving faster than normal and b) during scenes like Radagasts chase and the battle in the goblin city, the scene was moving too fast and blurred too much for them to be able to follow them. As I said, it's probably that they're just weren't able to adjust to the higher frame rate.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 18-12-2012 at 08:55 AM.