Page 53 of 145 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2891
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I'd imagine the people who are unable to process the HFR are non-gamers or haven't played anything other than consoles running 30fps. All three of my friends who said the HFR was bad wouldn't play much on pc, so rarely see anything running at more than 30fps.
    These poor individuals need reintegrating into the hivemind. :p

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    through the rest of the movie people look like they're moving faster than normal and b) during scenes like Radagasts chase and the battle in the goblin city, the scene was moving too fast and blurred too much for them to be able to follow them. As I said, it's probably that they're just weren't able to adjust to the higher frame rate.
    Well, this is a problem they have to fix. b) is what baffles me most, HFR has the opposite effect - there is less blurring.
    As for the first point, HFR's effect is similar to when you see an actor for the first time in real life, if you know what I mean. He doesn't look and move like you're conditioned to expect and it's sort of jarring at first, but you should be able to get over it.
    I still think it's hilarious that some folks out there think realistic movement looks faster than normal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Well, this is a problem they have to fix.
    I still think it's hilarious that some folks out there think realistic movement looks faster than normal.
    I do kinda agree with you. What most of them don't get is, they've never seen anything like this before, of course it's going to look different. The issue with it on a big scale is that people are just so used to 24fps that they believe that's how things really look when it comes to movies.

I've a card that lets me see as many movies a month as I want, I might pop into a HFR screening to see it for myself.

The Hobbit was fantastic, although I probably would say it's only the third best movie this year (Cabin in the Woods and Moonrise Kingdom were just insanely good). But yeah, the Gollum scenes were amazing, and I liked the Shire scenes very much as well. It was long, but nowadays I have to watch the LotR films with a break as well, so I didn't mind that much. I even liked the little fanservicey bits. And the songs. Will probably watch it again with the new shiny 48fps thingy and see if I like it.

Edit: And I can't wait for the scenes with Sherlock and Watson. That will have to be amazing.
    Last edited by Labbes; 18-12-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    The Campaign was hilarious!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Saw the Hobbit. Enjoyed the film, not sure they should have had 3 though, considering where it finishes. Glad I didn't see it in 48fps, but I will end up seeing it at some point, I suppose. Yeah, was good.
    steam: sketch

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The problem with 48fps tech seems to be that it's simply too good. 24fps tech slightly blurred things so that makeup and plastic swords looked real... with 48fps you can see it for what it is. Plus people move like real people, rather than being slightly smoothed out by the 24fps and made to look cooler because of it.

then again, I haven't seen it.

I'm interested by everyone loving the gollum scenes. I thought it was pretty good, but it felt like they wasted a few opportunities by shortening it - which was odd considering that they extended so much else.
    Then again, it's 2 decades since i read the book, so it might be my memory playing tricks on me.

I was about to watch The Iron Giant again but ended up watching the extras instead...
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I was about to watch The Iron Giant again but ended up watching the extras instead...

Always wanted to watch it,looks really nice.

I watched My neighbour Totoro yesterday,cute anime movie. Tomorrow i'll watch Paprika,looks like inception copied allot from this movie lol.

Went to see The Hobbit in 48fps after enjoying it in normal 2d. My feelings are mixed to be honest. Some of the CGI scenes look absolutely spectacular, especially Rivendell. The action scenes were pretty good aswell. I didn't experience any discomfort at all. However I will say that at times it was a bit too much. Particularly during dialogue scenes and the parts in Hobbiton. It's kind of like watching something in such clarity that you become so aware your watching a movie. And because everything is so clear you can almost tell it's a set. All the cutlery and furnishings at Bag End were so pristine it just looked unlived in. That might seem like an odd complaint but it was a bit immersion breaking for me. I wouldn't say it's a definite improvement, but a different flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Went to see The Hobbit in 48fps after enjoying it in normal 2d. My feelings are mixed to be honest.
    My wife and I did the opposite of that (first HFR then 2D). I have to say I wish I did what you did. In the first go-around I was so distracted by the 3D and trying to force my brain to parse HFR that I barely had any immersion at all. During the second watch I was much more into the movie because I could just relax and enjoy.

My only opinion about them making 3 movies is: sure, do it! I'm sure they'll all be amazing and I'll watch them each repeatedly :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    The Hobbit was fantastic, although I probably would say it's only the third best movie this year (Cabin in the Woods and Moonrise Kingdom were just insanely good). But yeah, the Gollum scenes were amazing, and I liked the Shire scenes very much as well. It was long, but nowadays I have to watch the LotR films with a break as well, so I didn't mind that much. I even liked the little fanservicey bits. And the songs. Will probably watch it again with the new shiny 48fps thingy and see if I like it.

Edit: And I can't wait for the scenes with Sherlock and Watson. That will have to be amazing.
    I'm of the same opinion as you actually, though wasn't a huge fan of the Gollum scenes but that's because he always annoyed me because he's so evil and pathetic. Which admittedly is the whole reaction he's meant to elicit but hey ho. Loved Thorin Oakenshield since he was highly reminiscent of Boromir from the Lord of the Rings movies and I loved that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Saw the Hobbit. Enjoyed the film, not sure they should have had 3 though, considering where it finishes. Glad I didn't see it in 48fps, but I will end up seeing it at some point, I suppose. Yeah, was good.
    Peter Jackson is taking his time to properly convey the Hobbit as well as take the time to delve a little more into the backstory of Middle Earth. I honestly have no problem with this since the first Hobbit film seemed perfectly paced, and I honestly don't see why every book ever should be condensed into one 2 hour movie. If anything his approach should be emulated more so that we get better movie trilogies to saturate in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Perfectly paced? Perhaps without the tedious Rivendell Management Meeting scene.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Banned
    You maybe expected them to fire off a few emailed complaints about Sauron's human resource management team and be done with?

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I didn't hate Hobbit, but it was no where near as good as LOTR.

Pros:

I was suprised that my favorite parts of the film was actually all the non-book stuff. The brown wizard was unnecessary, but I liked all his stuff. I even liked the Rivendale council (mostly just as an excuse to see Christopher Lee again--who I love and the dude has to be pushing 100 by now).

I actually don't mind the concept of elongating The Hobbit so that it fits better with the LOTR films. This is Peter Jackson's version, after all, and the book is its own thing. So I say add all the shit you want. I actually found all the necromancer stuff to be pretty interesting and adding the armless Orc guy as the central villain was a smart move for the film as it gave an overall structure to what is, in the book, basically just a series of random episodes.

Cons:

The introduction of the Dwarfs went on too long and we really didn't need 2 whole songs recreated from the text verse for verse. I wouldn't mind this if I was at home watching an extended edition DVD, but in a theater it really, really, drags.

They abused the "deus ex machina" formula of resolving action sequences to death. Every single moment of peril in this film ends with a deus ex machina (and I'm really not exaggerating, as every single one plays out the exact same way...characters are in peril only to be save by someone...Gandalf, the Elves, Eagles...at the last second). It gets stale after a bit.

And finally, my single biggest problem with the movie, it was way, way, too cartoony. The LOTR did a great job of grounding all of the action in a certain level of realism. But the Hobbit has the characters repeatedly falling hundreds of stories only to land without a scratch or marathon running over steep precipices Roadrunner style while mowing down hundreds of Goblins. Parts of the film were just silly. Just because you CAN do basically anything you dream up with CGI doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it. You still have to ground yourself in a certain level of believably or it all just goes way over the top too quickly.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 23-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    They actually improved the deus ex machina compared to the book, especially in the troll scene.

I watched the 2010 Karate Kid and was very entertained. The Chinese locations are great, Jackie Chan is awesome and Jaden Smith has his father's comedic timing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    Cons:

The introduction of the Dwarfs went on too long and we really didn't need 2 whole songs recreated from the text verse for verse. I wouldn't mind this if I was at home watching an extended edition DVD, but in a theater it really, really, drags.

They abused the "deus ex machina" formula of resolving action sequences to death. Every single moment of peril in this film ends with a deus ex machina (and I'm really not exaggerating, as every single one plays out the exact same way...characters are in peril only to be save by someone...Gandalf, the Elves, Eagles...at the last second). It gets stale after a bit.

And finally, my single biggest problem with the movie, it was way, way, too cartoony. The LOTR did a great job of grounding all of the action in a certain level of realism. But the Hobbit has the characters repeatedly falling hundreds of stories only to land without a scratch or marathon running over steep precipices Roadrunner style while mowing down hundreds of Goblins. Parts of the film were just silly. Just because you CAN do basically anything you dream up with CGI doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it. You still have to ground yourself in a certain level of believably or it all just goes way over the top too quickly.
    I agreed mainly with the pros, but disagreed with the cons to a certain extent. Firstly is the more "cartoony" stylings which I take to mean that you disapproved of the more lighthearted tone of the movie. To my mind that was entirely in keeping with the Hobbit. There were slight undertones of an impending and growing evil but it was kept from overshadowing the entire movie because the Hobbit book was much more of a comical adventure than the Lord of the Rings, which was meant to be a very grim and desperate movie. In terms of the CGI silliness I didn't mind too much. It was exhilarating and to be fair what you'd really expect scummy unarmoured goblins to be like versus hardy dwarves, and this from a story where a single archer kills an armour plated dragon with a single arrow through the heart.

The deus ex machina moments were a bit irritating I'll grant you that, but it at least lends the film a small part of the desperation that was prevalent in the Lord of the Rings movies to generate suspense. We're never going to hear the end about the bloody eagles swooping in and saving the day every single time. There's still that large battle at the end to come where the eagles save the day again to look forward to.

I loved the bit where Bilbo was talking to Gandalf about Radagast and says "Is he a very great wizard, or is he...more like you?"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    (mostly just as an excuse to see Christopher Lee again--who I love and the dude has to be pushing 100 by now).
    On the contrary, I hope he retires from film and spends the rest of his days making incredible music:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Or all the British Actors you can think in one movie interacting(except Tom Wallander). Very Very intriguing film I have to say, for a film that is basically just people in a room talking to each other its engaging and it has a goo mystery to it. Have to say kind of wanted a little bit more back story and wrangles with the Americans and Russians I liked the aspects where it seemed like Britian was just being played by both sides to get to the other side. The reveal I thought was a bit weird as it felt a bit anticlimactic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Chronicle

Went into this movie without any prior exposure. Was expecting some lame teenage flick to laugh at like the terrible I Am Number whatever. Was totally blown away. Did not expect to see a competent reimaginging of Akira!

It's not movie of the year material but it's really good. Recommended!
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen