Page 54 of 143 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2852
    Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    I agreed mainly with the pros, but disagreed with the cons to a certain extent. Firstly is the more "cartoony" stylings which I take to mean that you disapproved of the more lighthearted tone of the movie. To my mind that was entirely in keeping with the Hobbit. There were slight undertones of an impending and growing evil but it was kept from overshadowing the entire movie because the Hobbit book was much more of a comical adventure than the Lord of the Rings, which was meant to be a very grim and desperate movie. In terms of the CGI silliness I didn't mind too much. It was exhilarating and to be fair what you'd really expect scummy unarmoured goblins to be like versus hardy dwarves, and this from a story where a single archer kills an armour plated dragon with a single arrow through the heart.
    "Cartoony" has nothing to do with the tone, and more about the implausibility of the action sequences (none of which would even be possible to film without CGI). Falling hundreds of stories without a scratch is just implausible, no matter how sturdy dwarfs are (and the characters do it twice...both at the start and the end of the goblin sequences). But I just thought that whole chase sequence was stupid, mainly because for its duration the normal laws of physics and gravity were suspended and replaced by cartoon physics/gravity.

Even the mountains fighting each other sequence was cartoony as the characters only survive that via a confluence of implausibly lucky breaks "e.g. the mountains moved, fell, and landed, just the right way every single time for the characters to jump to the right places....if the mountains fell just an inch to the left or right, or a second sooner or later, they would have all been crushed."

It's maybe a stupid thing to complain about in a fantasy movie, but I didn't think LOTR had this problem nearly as much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Chronicle

Went into this movie without any prior exposure. Was expecting some lame teenage flick to laugh at like the terrible I Am Number whatever. Was totally blown away. Did not expect to see a competent reimaginging of Akira!

It's not movie of the year material but it's really good. Recommended!
    The trailer was all about fun and games with super powers with the usual "you go to far with it" but turned out to be a solid Superhero/villain origin story. Akira didn't even cross my mind but now that you mention it.

They're plannig on making a sequel but the original writer isn't involved, the studio wanted more of the same while the writer wanted to progress.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    It's maybe a stupid thing to complain about in a fantasy movie, but I didn't think LOTR had this problem nearly as much.
    I think tone does play a role in this. Lord of the Rings had some rather unrealistic scenes but they worked in the larger context because they were taken seriously. There's a certain kind of dramatic tension throughout the films that completely overshadows any cartoonish elements they may possess. The Hobbit lacks this for the most part. The goblin scene for instance is a lot sillier than the battle in Moria during The Fellowship of the Ring, even though conceptually they're very close.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, the goblin sequence was very enjoyable and showed some amazing choreography. It does seem a bit weird though that they're trying to turn the Hobbit into an epic of the same proportions as LotR (to the point of even including extra scenes such as the battle between the stone giants) while simultaneously keeping the lighearted tone of the novel. At time it feels as if the film itself couldn't decide whether it wanted to be serious or not and I feel more than anything this is what hurts it.

Since it's Christmas I've finished my annual tradition of rewatching Mary Poppins and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Both films are absolutely fantastic and among my personal favourites, but I'll spare you the next two thousands words of flat out gushing over them.

Haven't watch The Hobbit yet cause my dad got sick. This weekend I shall return to middle earth and watch Martin Freeman (very good in Sherlock) and the rest of the cast. Also, the Misty Mountain Cold!
    I got the urge to watch the whole Twilight Saga after my friend convinced me to watch the last one on theater month ago
    Next I'm going to watch The Shawshank Redemption. Curious to why everyone praise it so much

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Just got around to watching the Dark Knight Rises.

Was a bit disappointed. I liked the idea of the buff warrior philosopher villain embodied by Bayne, but his motivations didn't really make any sense to me. If he was just a psychopath, wouldn't he have had more appetite for destruction than a single metropolis? The guy ended up looking like a cartoon villain - "death and destruction, the END OF THE WORLD MWAHAHAHA!" The movie doesn't compare favourably to the previous one. I guess that's understandable since the passing of Heath Ledger must have permanently affected the individuals involved as well as the production of this movie.

Also, for some reason I had a very immature but nonetheless strong desire to see Catwoman portrayed like this:

Damn you tv of my childhood and your warped 60's reruns!
    Last edited by mashakos; 26-12-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just got around to watching the Dark Knight Rises.

Was a bit disappointed. I liked the idea of the buff warrior philosopher villain embodied by Bayne, but his motivations didn't really make any sense to me. If he was just a psychopath, wouldn't he have had more appetite for destruction than a single metropolis? The guy ended up looking like a cartoon villain - "death and destruction, the END OF THE WORLD MWAHAHAHA!" The movie doesn't compare favourably to the previous one. I guess that's understandable since the passing of Heath Ledger must have permanently affected the individuals involved as well as the production of this movie.
    I really liked it, much more than the 1st one but of course the 2nd is the best.

I thought Bane was well done but maybe you re right about motivations. I think Nolan assumed too much that we remember the League's motivations from the 1st film. I was just disappointed with how Bane is portrayed in the last 20 mins, from mastermind he gets relegated to a brute basically following someone else. I thought this was a big 180 to how he was portrayed up to then and one that is not explained. About the one metropolis thing, I think it is assumed that Gotham is the capital of the country?

Ledger was amazing but I somehow see Bane complementing the Joker. One was embodying chaos and the other a more ordered/rational approach but they both wanted the same in the end: to see the world burn.

Catwoman was a very pleasant surprise for me. I thought what's-her-name did a really good job (I usually hate her). Somehow she managed to be innocent, sexy, slutty, smart, fragile and strong at the same time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    The Other Guys,funny movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    One thing that Bane brought to the table was sheer physical presence. Batman had never had a physically overwhelming opponent before, and it was a good mix with the vulnerability displayed early on during the whole retired story.

Problem is Nolan had to up the stakes in the third movie, and that could only have meant a nuclear bomb. Then since it's the last movie of an unplanned trilogy he has to tie it back to Batman Begins and resolve Wayne's personal arc, which meant bringing in the League again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I was just disappointed with how Bane is portrayed in the last 20 mins, from mastermind he gets relegated to a brute basically following someone else.

He could have come up with the plan but I agree it was a bit muddled and after we learn where the woman came from it makes it a bit weird in that...How Did Bane get out...thats never explained.

Ok Gushing Commencing now

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR
    - i love this movie, love, love, love it!

First things first I thought the 48fps was a bit weird at first, it kind of made the movie look like it was on fast forward, and it kind of kept looking like that sometimes throughout though after awhile you do get used to it. but saying that it made the film fecking GORGEOUS to look at, I have to say I agree with Peter Jackson it made it not a film but feel like you were actually there especially with the 3D, with this technology 3D finally has a point.

Also its not to long I have to say i was thrilled and entertained throughout and i didn't have the urge to check my watch throughout. it was paced very very well. the tone is a mixture of comedy and epic which I didn't actually mind at all i thought it worked well. Bilbo is perfectly played by martin Freeman and i have to say I laughed throughout the first bit.

The action scenes are stunning and do make you feel swept up in the swashbuckling nature of the story, so many great set-pieces in the movie. Even the slowler scenes I didn't mind because it felt very entertaining especially with the Dwarves at the start, or it felt very atmospheric. I did have a little tear in my eye at a few points since the speeches about hope and friendship kind of got me...I'm a sucker i know.

The scenery wow, especially with the frame rate. there is one bit where they go into Rivendell that looks exactly like the cover of the Fellowship of the Ring which made me want to read it, this film puts my childhood dreams of a fantasy world on the screen and its beautiful. the CGI looks like the most realistic CGI I think i've ever seen especially the animals like the Wargs or The Eagles.

The only criticism I would say is that the opening with Old Bilbo and Frodo I could have done without, it was maddenning i really did not need to know about the party or the origin story of how the sign got on the gate or why Frodo was where he was...i kind of assumed that. Also some of The CGI kind of looks videogamey sometimes especially with the ring I think it looks a bit to shiny, and also I kind of agree with the physics sometimes, especially the sled they really need to know how to put weight on those things like they did with the eagles and the wargs but that was very minor and didn't really get me out of the movie.

At the end when it was closing up I did feel "Aw I really want for it to continue, I would see all three parts now please!" and I think if I'm feeling that, it was a bloody great film.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Problem is Nolan had to up the stakes in the third movie, and that could only have meant a nuclear bomb.
    Thank you, this is the best encapsulation I've read of the movie's shortcomings.

"and Nolan had no choice but to jump the shark."
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    He could have come up with the plan but I agree it was a bit muddled and after we learn where the woman came from it makes it a bit weird in that...How Did Bane get out...thats never explained.
    It's been a while since I saw the film but from what I recall Bane was freed [spoiler]when Talia returns with her father Ra's al Ghul and they take over the prison. In the meantime the other prisoners had mutilated Bane because he helped Talia escape, which is why he constantly has to wear his mask. [/spoiler]

The problem with the twist in TDKR is that it's just not very good. It doesn't make you revaluate the events leading up to it and neither does it extend the characters' depth in any way. Quite the opposite, Bane ends up being a worse character than he would have been had he remained the main villain and Talia doesn't receive enough screentime for her betrayal to have any kind of impact. It doesn't help that the film disposes of Bane in a really unspectacular manner. It's not the only problem the film faces, but it's certainly the most noticeable.

"and Nolan had no choice but to jump the shark."
    To be fair, Batman desperately trying to get rid of the bomb was at least a nice callback.

Network Hub
    Just watched Total Recall (the original) for the first time. Incredibly fun film, though I kept wanting it to delve into the possibilities that the idea of Rekall provided. Still, good, solid action film.

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Just watched Total Recall (the original) for the first time. Incredibly fun film, though I kept wanting it to delve into the possibilities that the idea of Rekall provided. Still, good, solid action film.

Much better then the new one,which was pure crapfest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I went to see The Hobbit with both my brothers. I love fantasy dwarves! There's a flashback to the dwarves in their prime - the warriors have Gromril armour and generally look badass. The movie didn't feel long at all, there weren't more than a few songs (what's the moaning about, they're hardly modern singles, just a few verses for god sake) and though there was some indulgences, I was pretty captivated throughout. I watched all three of the Lord of the Rings movies in the cinema with my first brother, and it became a kind of Christmas tradition. It's great to pass that on to my second brother, who was too young when the first movies were coming out (after watching the DVDs some years ago he become the biggest LotR fan in the family).

A couple of minor negative points - the whole group have already had enough adventure for a lifetime. They've fought through an army of goblins and fell hundreds of feet onto some nice jagged rocks once or twice with nary a scratch. Reign it in a little, Jackson. Reign it in.

This was also my first 3D movie, and my reactions are mixed. When everyone was standing around talking, the visuals looked superb. As soon as the rapid-moving action started it was a bit of a a blurry mess. My eyes also seemed to need to concentrate more, and as a result they became tired quicker.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 27-12-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Go see it in HFR, it doesn't turn into a blurry mess.
    That slow-mo flashback battle in HFR is unlike anything you've ever seen before.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Watched Rare Imports: A Christmas Tale the other day. Reminded me somewhat of Troll Hunter, which also had an intriguing and competent start that kind of fizzled by the end. It went well with my Krampus-themed Christmas though.

Agree, the remake of Total Recall is more of a hollywood milking an already famous titile. It also lack the sense of confusion the original have
    Also, also, it's Arnie!

Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Watched Rare Imports: A Christmas Tale the other day. Reminded me somewhat of Troll Hunter, which also had an intriguing and competent start that kind of fizzled by the end. It went well with my Krampus-themed Christmas though.

Is that the one where kid lives with father somewhere remotely and they find dead deer at the beginning or something like that,at the end [spoiler] they fight santa helpersa to prevent ressurecting evil giant santa with horns[/spoiler] ?

If so,awesome movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Go see it in HFR, it doesn't turn into a blurry mess.
    That slow-mo flashback battle in HFR is unlike anything you've ever seen before.

I have to say though when they have extreme close up especially at the first dwarf dragon battle especially with the HFR you have no idea what the hell is going on, but having said that it kind of adds to the feel of that action scene which is fantastic.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    I think tone does play a role in this. Lord of the Rings had some rather unrealistic scenes but they worked in the larger context because they were taken seriously. There's a certain kind of dramatic tension throughout the films that completely overshadows any cartoonish elements they may possess. The Hobbit lacks this for the most part. The goblin scene for instance is a lot sillier than the battle in Moria during The Fellowship of the Ring, even though conceptually they're very close.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, the goblin sequence was very enjoyable and showed some amazing choreography. It does seem a bit weird though that they're trying to turn the Hobbit into an epic of the same proportions as LotR (to the point of even including extra scenes such as the battle between the stone giants) while simultaneously keeping the lighearted tone of the novel. At time it feels as if the film itself couldn't decide whether it wanted to be serious or not and I feel more than anything this is what hurts it.

Since it's Christmas I've finished my annual tradition of rewatching Mary Poppins and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Both films are absolutely fantastic and among my personal favourites, but I'll spare you the next two thousands words of flat out gushing over them.
    You might enjoy the Nausicaa manga. It is like an expanded version of the movie and has more of what's great. Plus it is super cheap, in my opinion.

So far as the Hobbit goes. I haven't seen it, but one of the conceits of the book series is that Bilbo wrote his own telling of his adventures, right? And he seemed a bit proud of the adventures. Some stories grow with the retelling, as the old saying goes. Does your opinion of the Hobbit's unrealistic or cartoonish parts change if you consider the story as being told by Bilbo, and thus possibly containing embellishments, rather than being told by some objective recording device in a documentary style? Or is that all too meta?