Page 64 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 3358
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    So what will bomb harder, Jack the Giant Slayer or that Oz movie?
    My vote goes to Jack. I expect to enjoy both - Jack for its Harryhausen vibe and Oz for the inevitable fucked up Raimi scenes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Jack. Oz is based on a more popular franchise and a lot of people will go see it because of that.

Jack the Giant Slayer is based on a bed time story.

You know, I always get this insatiable urge to play Left4Dead 2 every time I watch Zombieland.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Wreck it Ralph,decent movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    1 - What did people think of Gamer? It was surprisingly better than I expected. Interesting concept, good action, nice humorous touches and nods to video games. I found the ending a little too neat, but other than that, it was pretty good.

2 - Amazingly Dredd got a release here in japan. (despite zero advertising and no-one here ever having heard of it). I rather enjoyed it (as I sat in an empty cinema). It had an excellent look and sfx, and I liked the main characters. I found the bad guys (especially at the end) to be undewhelming though. The action was a little basic compared to modern action trends - almost not an action movie at all. Not that that's a bad thing. I really hope it does well enough on DVD to get a sequel.

3 - I've noticed that recent movies I've watched have been a little old-school (Dredd, Looper), but have also been remarkably violent (Looper, Dredd, Gamer). Those three all struck me as far more violent than something like Terminator 1. yet T1 was considered shocking violent at the time, got an 18 certificate and was't even shown on UK for a while. These days I think it would feel very tame. Looper, in particular, didn't really feel like it needed that violence.

4 - Over the last few years there have been less and less movies that i've wanted to go to the theatre to watch. In the first few months of this year there have been a dozen all at once! (Skyfall, Hobbit, Looper, Dredd, Life of Pi, Argo, Zero Dark 30, Oz, Wreck It Ralph, Ted*, and others that escape my mind right now).

*because japanese people seem to have gone nuts for this and keep recommending it to me.

Edit; wrong thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    1 - What did people think of Gamer?
    Mildly offensive. It reminded me of that Michael Caine movie called Harry Brown, where every single member of the lower class was a murderer and rapist. I'll admit this part was genius though:

Watch Jack the Giant Slayer and expected something of an action movie. It was a bit of poo, I thought
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    1 - What did people think of Gamer? It was surprisingly better than I expected. Interesting concept, good action, nice humorous touches and nods to video games. I found the ending a little too neat, but other than that, it was pretty good.
    The action was excellent. Neveldine/Taylor are awesome. I forgot most of the story and I don't care.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Madagascar 3 - An insanly funny, surreal and heart warming film, the villian of this is worth the price of admission alone I don't think I have seen a villian this wild, creative and downright hilarious. The jokes are great and they are somewhat weird to be honest, definitely a step up from the last two films. Its not mind blowing in the story department but it does the job. I liked it and definitly has that old Looney Tunes vibe to it of anything goes.

Beasts Of The Southern Wild - I liked it, its a bit weird and I don't know whether it knew what it wanted to focus on, first it was about a girl and her father then it goes to a town in need, then back to the girl and father then a weird thing. It was lovely and the central characters are very good and you care about what happens to them. Its really good for a first dirctorial debut.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Watched SINISTER with Ethan Hawke,horror movie about snuff films,but then it takes turn and don't want to spoil it,but its quite good horror movie. Finally something good to watch and get scared.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Beasts Of The Southern Wild - I liked it, its a bit weird and I don't know whether it knew what it wanted to focus on, first it was about a girl and her father then it goes to a town in need, then back to the girl and father then a weird thing. It was lovely and the central characters are very good and you care about what happens to them. Its really good for a first dirctorial debut.
    I loved this film, had no idea what it was about when I started watching it but it was so human and amazing, especially bearing in mind that the actors are amateurs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Watched SINISTER with Ethan Hawke,horror movie about snuff films,but then it takes turn and don't want to spoil it,but its quite good horror movie. Finally something good to watch and get scared.
    I didn't liked some parts of this movie (it have too much "screamer" scare) but it's worth watching for it's OST. I don't remember any other horror movie with such SCARY music.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Mildly offensive. It reminded me of that Michael Caine movie called Harry Brown, where every single member of the lower class was a murderer and rapist.
    The style was pretty in your face and rough, as was the sex and violence. But I thought the concept behind it was pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The action was excellent. Neveldine/Taylor are awesome. I forgot most of the story and I don't care.
    It was pretty well directed action, particularly in the way it felt so much like a modern FPS game. But the story was the best bit. It did what interesting sci-fi movies should do, and raised interesting questions about the future, technology and human reactions to it.
    I found ii pretty intriguing and disturbingly believable to see their vision of how people might respond to a real life The Sims or a real life CoD.

I went into it expecting a dumb in your face action movie, so I was surprised to find a clever in your face action movie hiding behind all the dumbness.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I watched Vamps featuring Alicia Silverstone and Sigourney Weaver playing vampires in New York. Having pretty much zero expectations of this movie as I hadn't heard of it before watching, I must say I was entertained. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and does a pretty good job of hitting all the vampire tropes. Admittedly I give it a bit of extra love for all the cameos as I'm a child of the 80s. I'd recommend it if you're in the mood for some lighthearted, campy fun.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So, Oz was pretty good. It wasn't quite as good as the MovieBob review on the escapist made it sound, but it was definitely worth watching.

Being a prequel to such an old classic gives it a slightly weird feel. Especially as we know the ending, we just have to work out how we'll get there. Also, despite lots of good cgi it has a rather old-school feel at times. I assume this was intentional, to mimic the look of the original. Or it may be because I watched it in 2d and maybe it was made for 3d? But i haven't noticed that issue with any other recent 3d movies.

The directing was great, the story was good, the world and characters were good. I'm not sure about the acting. It wasn't 'bad', but it seemed to have a slightly amateur / stagey / overacted feel to it. Again, this may have been intentional.

I'd have liked it to be a little longer in Oz, and maybe a little shorter in Kansas at the beginning, as I didn't feel we got to spend enough time with any of the cool characters in Oz.

My main worry about it, is that i'm not quite sure which audience they were aiming for. It seems to be a Family Movie. It has a lot of nice nods to the original for parents, and I imagine that a lot of the wonder would be great for kids. (not to mention the China Girl character and the lack of violence).
    But on the other hand, Sam Raimi is just too good a horror director, and he manages to make monkeys and 'cartoon' witches actually pretty damn scary. I'm not sure i'd want to take younger kids to it because of the few TOO effective jump moments.

I think it probably needed more songs...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The directing was great, the story was good, the world and characters were good. I'm not sure about the acting. It wasn't 'bad', but it seemed to have a slightly amateur / stagey / overacted feel to it. Again, this may have been intentional.
    That's Raimi's calling card.

Definately. I agree Oz was good but not great. Felt a bit ametuerish with slightly bad acting at some parts (the beginning was pretty boring and cliche, imo) but after the first hour till the end it was better than I expected. John Carter all over again.
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Oh god, it's like John Carter? Is it three goddamn hours long? I'll pass.
    Last edited by sabrage; 11-03-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Two, actually. But it damn well felt long just like it
    Art blog here.