Page 68 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 2318
    Yeah, I don't think there is a bigger mindfuck than Holy Mountain. El Topo is straightforward in comparison.

"Real life awaits us."

It's still my favourite ending of any movie.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Still my favorite so many things.

This interview is well worth reading if you're into Jodorowsky
    Last edited by sabrage; 02-05-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I watched Iron Man Three and i really liked it. I loved the characterisation of Tony Stark in this making him a lot more human. The humour is still really good and the action scenes were alright on the most part with some truly great ones here and there. I actually liked that Tony was more out of his suit because it added to the drama because in his suit hes pretty much invincible but out of his suit he can do fun tony stark things like use his brain to make makeshift weapons pretty cool. Also what a fecking hilarious twist that i did not see coming and was a relief because at the start i thought we were in 2003 with all the terrorist imagery. Though the bad guys seemed to be on loan from the X Men.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Sabrage's Mind Fuck Top Whatever:
    -The Holy Mountain
    -Kill List
    -Possession
    (1981)
    -Oldboy
    -12 Monkeys
    -Videodrome
    -Mulholland Drive
    -2001: A Space Odyssey
    -Memento
    -Primer
    -Altered States
    -The Exterminating Angel
    -Funny Games
    I see a serious lack of Solaris (the Tarkovsky one) there.

Obscure Node
    Anyone has seen Holy Motors? It is worth watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I see a serious lack of Solaris (the Tarkovsky one) there.
    I'll let you know as soon as I make it past the first 15 minutes without falling asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by kolossals View Post
    Anyone has seen Holy Motors? It is worth watching?
    It's gorgeous and vibrant and bizarre and makes absolutely no concessions for its viewer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Just saw Iron Man 3 in a crappy 3d, ticket bought by mistake. About 250g of vodka really helped as it was just enough to enhance my movie experience without too much physical discomfort. Because of some of the imagery that movie made me think of things like valor, duty, commitment to the cause, doomed defiance against impossible odds and the such as those are the the things that were burned into minds of anyone who grew up on WW2 movies( and who isn't a selfish asshole). Of course, none of those things have anything to do with our "hero" who is intentionally a selfish asshole. But stil, those minions of evil guy fought good when they weren't killing random innocent people jsut to show that they are evil( it didn't even help their nonsensical evil plans). So in the end I kind of liked the movie itself as it was a non-stop entertainment, but I loathed main characters, all of them, including a main villain. Everyone there is an ashole, were they going for a realistic feel? I have to say though, acting was good and movie really understood waht it was ie the action idiocy with jokes that doesn't crumble only because of Robert Downey Jr. personal charisma. That out-of-place speech about Von Broun though, and that time when Amerikan Superhero randomly raided other coutries because why not, that really made me lol. At least ou guys realize. Fuck that movie and everything.

this photo was taken near the cinema

Last edited by coldvvvave; 02-05-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

I liked Solaris and I'm even a fan of Lem but I really thought it was rather boring. I mean, his last movie The Sacrifice was even worse about it but I have seen Tarr's Satantango (as should everybody else) and it's downright fast paced in comparison.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Watched Iron Man 3 last night (pretty sure the theatre broke the street date, but worked for me as I got to watch it effectively on American opening night without being up until 3 am).

There were definitely some flaws and I have a feeling the script had a major rewrite late in the production cycle (potentially during filming), but overall it was a very enjoyable film. Just don't go in expecting a grimdark affair.

Overall, I am not sure if I liked this or the first movie more, but it beats the crap out of Iron Man 2 and does a pretty good job of making a post-Avengers superhero movie work (there are mostly enough justifications for why Cap or any of the SHIELD agents aren't there).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Just don't go in expecting a grimdark affair.
    From a Shane Black movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I liked Solaris and I'm even a fan of Lem but I really thought it was rather boring. I mean, his last movie The Sacrifice was even worse about it but I have seen Tarr's Satantango (as should everybody else) and it's downright fast paced in comparison.
    I love Stalker, I just need to give Solaris a go when I'm not overworked and underslept. Which is never.

I do think Stalker is probably the better film, I didn't really get Solaris and the really slow moves just made me a bit frustrated where in Stalker it really added to the weird atmosphere and it seemed a lot more easier to understand.

I would agree with Iron Man 3 its not brilliant but its quite fun and I don't understand why people would hate it. Also the 3D is not good it makes a few of the action scenes very confusing because they are quite dark and blurry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    From a Shane Black movie?
    You'd be amazed.

I think the problem is that all the trailers basically made it look like "Iron Man Rises" so a friend of mine went in expecting something dark, not something insanely lighthearted and fun.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Just saw Iron Man 3 in a crappy 3d, ticket bought by mistake. About 250g of vodka really helped as it was just enough to enhance my movie experience without too much physical discomfort. Because of some of the imagery that movie made me think of things like valor, duty, commitment to the cause, doomed defiance against impossible odds and the such as those are the the things that were burned into minds of anyone who grew up on WW2 movies( and who isn't a selfish asshole). Of course, none of those things have anything to do with our "hero" who is intentionally a selfish asshole. But stil, those minions of evil guy fought good when they weren't killing random innocent people jsut to show that they are evil( it didn't even help their nonsensical evil plans). So in the end I kind of liked the movie itself as it was a non-stop entertainment, but I loathed main characters, all of them, including a main villain. Everyone there is an ashole, were they going for a realistic feel? I have to say though, acting was good and movie really understood waht it was ie the action idiocy with jokes that doesn't crumble only because of Robert Downey Jr. personal charisma. That out-of-place speech about Von Broun though, and that time when Amerikan Superhero randomly raided other coutries because why not, that really made me lol. At least ou guys realize. Fuck that movie and everything.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_20457...pped-ball.html

Amerikanskis see it too. :P
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3. I thought it was a good film.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Recently picked up DVD of a Jap Anime movie "The Sky Crawlers" directed by the famous but rather not that active anime producer Mr. Mamoru Oshii. The title "The Sky Crawlers" is not its English translation, it IS the original title, and the Japanese title you would saw in the movie is actually the Japanese sound of this English title. I know Hong Kong importer had a rather romantic translation for the title (in Chinese of course), "The Pedestrians Over the Blue Sky". This movie is adaptation of a light novel (a Japanese classification of novels, with lighter contents as the name suggested, targeting the youths) with the same name. I am not aware of any Chinese or English translation of the novel series itself, but this movie as I know definitely has western release. So here's what the movie is about.

In the near future, eternal peace is achieved. (How eternal it is? Can we safely assume there will be no more World War after Hitler committed suicide and all Japanese militarists were brought to justice? We will never know. We are at peace for now and maybe our children will live in post-nuclear war age. But let's assume "this peace" in the movie is truly eternal.) Yet governments of the world powers are concerned that people in nature tend to wage war for a variety of reasons. First thing first there are still nations, sovereigns, ethnic groups still divided around the globe. The solution is: war for the show. Governments hire private military contractors to stage aerial combats just for show. Commoners read news of the "war" as if there is really a war. In fact, they just watch other people engage in war and they don't have to worry about it. Those are true aerial battles. "War" participants will formulate strategies, organize attacks over the enemies. Periodically air patrols would engage dog fights. But generally you would notice two things:

Firstly no faction will be permitted to be annihilated. If one side in the conflict is suffering heavy losses, authorities will order cease fire. They can because, after all, they are the government, and not only that, they are employers of the contractors. This ensure that PMC is not a too risky business and the authorities' payment on risk premium will be lower. And above all, this is war just for show, a war with no true clause. Annihilation for a war with no reason is no good business.

Secondly, all battles will be exclusively aerial. There will be air-to-ground attacks but those will be confined to attacked on enemy bases. Attack on non-PMC targets (that say, you cannot attack a military target of the counterpart's ultimate employer who will definitely be a government of some nation) is strictly prohibited. And no land / sea combat means civilians are generally safe from being collateral damage.

And interestingly, people don't "appreciate" the combats themselves as some Top Gun movie. They don't care about the dog fight. All they care is the war, not battle. They enthusiastically pursue news of development of the war, which they understood well to themselves, was orchestrated by their governments.

Kidren, therefore, are born to be employed as pilots engaging in those combats. Kidren is bio-engineered human beings who are living in adolescence for eternity, i.e. they will live for ever until they are killed in action, and sadly all do, all until that girl.

The story happened somewhere in Europe. One Rostock pilot, Yuichi Kannami, arrived at the base commanded by a girl Suito Kusanagi. Kannami was ordered to switch plane for the one previously piloted by another disappeared pilot Jinro Kuita. Kannami was informed Kuita was killed, but Kannami understood well Kuita wasn't KIA, since his plane was intact. It's very unusual for a Kidren to die for reason other than combat. Other teammates whispered to Kannami that this Kuita used to be Suito's lover, but Suito murdered Kuita with the pistol she always carried around. Overtime, for unknown reason Kannami and Kusanagi developed a close relationship.

Besides, they have another much more critical issue to tackle with: the Teacher, an ace of Lautern, the opposing PMC. The Teacher was such a legendary pilot that no one opposing pilot could return alive after meeting him in the air. There was a rumor, that the Teacher was unique not only his excellent piloting. The Teacher, unlike other PMC pilots, might be an adult.

Oddly, in the movie most pilot, at least not for the main character and his teammates, ever questioned why fighting in such a war with no reason. They don't enjoy it, and they view it as merely a job. They kill or be killed, waiting for that ultimate fate to arrive, until another girl pilot from a neighboring region, Midori Mitsuya, originally a complete stranger but for the admiration of Kannami's outstanding pilot skill, developed a closed bond with him, started questioning their own existence. She was so scared that if she was really a Kidren destined to do nothing but fight in a meaningless war, and be killed in it.

At some point of the movie, it was revealed that not only Kidren were engineered to live for eventually perished in the battlefield. Since battle skills accumulated were actually highly valued assets for all PMCs, memories of KIAs would be implanted into newly born kidren. Kusanagi at some point of the movie admitted to Kannami that she indeed murdered Kuita, affirming the rumor, because she wished to break this painful chain for Kuita. Kusanagi had been an ace pilot herself, until she was proven to be too outstanding and too high valued to be pilot risking life over the sky, so she was promoted to be commander, post which used to be filled only by adults. She, therefore, was the only Kidren understand the fate of herself and her comrades. She wanted to end the suffering of her lover but she failed, because now she had Kannami, whom she realized was the Kidren implanted with Kuita's battle data, thus, resurrected Kuita.

This is such a deep movie. I don't know if I really understand the meaning of the story. Yet the story had a very sad ending.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I have watched The Sacrifice few days ago, it dissapointed me. I love Stalker, The Mirror and Nostalgia, but Sacrifice was... too cold. I don't know how exactly describe it. It was like I was watching this movie filtered by point of view of some man who doesn't feel anything.
    Even Ivan's Childhood seems to have more warmth and emotions.

Now I'm gonna watch Andriei Rublov and then Solaris, but I must read original book first.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    What do you guys love about Stalker? I like the dialogue and the characters but when there were nothing happening on the screen for more than half of its running time of three hours, well, it didn't make things that much impressive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    What do you guys love about Stalker? I like the dialogue and the characters but when there were nothing happening on the screen for more than half of its running time of three hours, well, it didn't make things that much impressive.
    Visual storytelling. Its images evoke more than the writing could. It's a visceral affair (as in "Relating to deep inward feelings rather than to the intellect").

In my experience, those coming from Tarkovsky-land tend to be more favourabale towards Stalker. I guess our brains are wired to tolerate and maybe find beauty in this brand of bleakness.

Yeah I would agree with that the whole way the film is portrayed is very evocative it has a weird atmospheric power to it that I can't help but really like and it does have some moments of genuine tension even though its quite slow in it. But like 2001 and probably all Tarkovsky you probably have to have the right feeling to get through it because it can feel painfully slow.

Watched Miami Connection last night. It's the ode and embodiment of all things 80's that Blood Dragon so wishes it could be. Every single scene drags on about two minutes two long, leaving us to revel in its awesome cheese. The script is appalling, the acting horrendous, the editing choppy and haphazard. I love it. Take it away, Kermit.