Page 7 of 154 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    In Bruges is definitly one of those films where it has you laughing one moment and kind of crying over the tradgedy of it. Really great movie and you kind of wish for more.

It's genre is technically neo-noir
    I always thought neo-noir had to have sci-fi elements in it

A- A bottle!

I always thought neo-noir had to have sci-fi elements in it
    oh, i could be wrong then, i thought it just meant the sort of second coming of noir, since the originals were around the 1940s (double indemnity and stuff?) and then chinatown was 1974. Wiki says neo-noir so maybe it has more than one meaning

genres are silly anyway
    Last edited by Cable; 15-09-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Nah, neo-noir is just a term to differentiate modern noir from classic noir (30s-50s, roughly).

Activated Node
    Woochi: Goblin Wizard.

Decent Korean action-adventure. It's also nice that comedy can transcend the language barrier.

+1 for Chinatown love.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    I watched Léon the other day, it was pretty excellent.
    I saw it again recently also off the back of Nikita (which, incidentally, I still think is the superior film). It was my first time seeing the "international" cut wherein - amongst other changes - Mathilda asks Leon to sleep with her. It's been too long since I've seen the US cut to make a real comparison, but looking at the sheer amount of Mathilda/Leon material that was cut for that release I find it difficult to believe that it could be the more emotionally engaging and thereby effective film.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Also, The Prestige (Bale, Jackman & Cain) a few weeks ago - excellent movie.
    Yeah, definitely. Nolan's Batman flicks are tolerable (which is more than I can say for most superhero flicks) but I'll take his other work any day of the week and twice on Sundays. There were signs with Inception that he's been chained by the system mind...
    Last edited by Rii; 15-09-2011 at 05:39 PM.

I think with Nolan he is just making the same thrillers he did with Memento and his first project there just got more and more budget

Thing is I think Inception could've been a rather better film than it was: made shorter and tighter by taking a hacksaw to the excessive and excessively long action scenes, perhaps even substituting some of them with non-combat sequences. I think Nolan was given an action quota to fill - or perhaps less explicitly was under pressure to produce a film with Dark Knight-esque blockbuster potential - and the film suffered for it. Regardless of whether the pressure was external or internal, I think a better film could've - no, would've - been produced on half the budget.
    Last edited by Rii; 15-09-2011 at 06:29 PM.

To be honest I'm actually glad we got a lot of those action scenes they were very inventive and well that topsy tervy fight has made me go wow at a film, know this I haven't gone wow at a film for a very long time. Also its probably one of the most gripping films I've ever watched, even after the third time I'm still on the edge of my seat wondering if they will complete the mission. Nah I think its a really great film. Dark Knight on the other hand could have trimmed a lot of the action sequences and a few of the bits, reworked Harvey dent so he could have had a film of his own as Two Face. Dark Knight I felt was pretty bloated as a film, Inception I thought was actually just right.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Dark Knight I felt was pretty bloated as a film, Inception I thought was actually just right.
    Seconded. I think TDK gets a lot more praise than it deserves in part because of Heath Ledger dying shortly afterwards. Albeit he was enjoyable as the joker, the plot was daft as a brush at points, to the extent that as times I thought they'd handed the helm back to Tim Burton. I do agree that inception could of been tighter, but it's a more rounded film overall.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Has anyone here seen Harsh Times? Features Bale, I watched it today. Not quite sure what to think of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I like to play The Dark Knight drinking game; it involves taking a shot every time there’s a sudden transition between day and night, and when the credits roll you have to guess how many days have gone by altogether.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Just watched Priest. What a crock. Does anyone alse think Paul Bettany is seriously selling himself short taking all these daft roles? Priest, Legion, DaVinci Code... he's better than this. He was great in Master and Commander and A Beautiful Mind, and seemed pretty good in Wimbledon (although I wasn't paying that much attention when that was on). He's actually a decent actor - so why does he keep showing up in these ludicrous films?

The Pianist - Very very good and heart wrenching portrayal of Polish Jews and one person, the pianist of the films titles survival against the german invaders. Have to say the Blu-Ray of this looked absolutely amazing, I think I've become a convert of blu-ray, just looks so detailed and broken buildings especially look amazing. My god did this guy survive a lot it bloody is harrowing and a tale of survival with a few darkly humorous stuff here and there. I like how a lot of the events in this film are filmed from the guys perspective, from a window or from a little crack in one, gives you a sense of being there with him not knowing what really is happening. Also happens with the sound a lot. Though one thing, is there supposed to be subtitles when the germans speak? I can understand maybe a few of them, it doesn't matter really what there saying but as it goes along it can be quite crucial like the German officer that lets him live. Not to sure if that was ,eat to be for artistic statement or the blu-ray forgot to come with subtitles.

I watched Fight Club, it was quite good.

I didn't like The Pianist at all. It's solid and all but it has OSCAR BAIT written all over it. It was really uncomfortable to watch.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

I do have to agree its another, Jews in ghetto and fight for survival to say that what happened to the jews was bad. But to be honest it still kept me engaged, and well we should really have films which do show the horror of it. People can get a bit tired of it, but it happened and well judging from the look of it it was very painful for the people involved!

Finished watching Falling Skies and I'm a bit miffed abouth the squandered potential. It's pretty much a melting pot of at times contradictory ideas. There is always a cliched character when the plot needs one and Popes character is particularly lacking any coherent development. I think his character arc is particularly poorly written.

But the main thing that bugs me is:

Spoiler

In one episode the Skitters are mercilessly executing the harnessed children and in the other they are shown as being maternal and loving to them. I understand that the executions were just a way to allow the son to escape but it completely breaks the fiction of the world.

Also I think that Spielberg is going a little senile. This isn't Close Encounters mate.

Just saw Hanna, and I had the feeling throughout the film, that they tried to be an indie film waaaay too much, but failed. Also the editing is iffy at times.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Just saw Hanna, and I had the feeling throughout the film, that they tried to be an indie film waaaay too much, but failed. Also the editing is iffy at times.
    Do you remember that bit where one of the Bad Guys is rolling a pair of metallic balls around in his hand? Would you happen to know what those are called?

EDIT: BAODING BALLS!!!

*rushes out to buy some*
    Last edited by Rii; 24-09-2011 at 07:15 AM.