Page 78 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 3006
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    @Koobazaur I would try it again I think my problem was that it was so hyped as the greatest sci fi film of all time and when I first watched it it was confusing as hell and I couldn't see why it was. But having seen it three times now I can see it, its gorgeous to look at its got a quite smart plot and deals with lots of great themes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Oblivion (2013). Not actively annoying, but the story seemed told in a very messy way and the happy ending seemed tacked on. Other than that I can't really remember it, except that there were some nice craters.

Doomsday (2008). I hadn't heard about this, but caught some of it on TV last night, so I watched the whole thing today.
    I liked it. It has plenty of silly stuff, like cars exploding any time they run into something (even corpses), some plot holes and some unrealistic things, but it's somehow okay, although possibly mainly due to Rhona Mitra. She's quite convincing. The other actors aren't bad either, though.
    It did make me wonder once again why bad guys in so many post-apocalyptic movies (and games) have mohawks. I can only assume most script writers have never had to maintain one.

Wild At Heart - Got al lthe Hallmarks of David Lynch definitely, to be honest the first half seemed very aimless and it kind of didn't really recover. One of the reasons I like Lost Highway and Mullohand Drive, and Blue Velvet is the even though its really weird story makes sense and the weird images just fit the tone. The first half just seems to be full of the characters having sex and the really interesting disturbing Hiring of assassins on the side that I really liked because its just vintage Lynch. The second half seems a lot better where it goes seriously weird and just has so many disturbing people and images not all of them seem to make sense like the Cowboy Black dude and his really horrible and strange looking wife. Also it liked to crowbar the Wizard Of Oz references which seemed very unsubtle for Lynch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Watched Chronicles of Riddick - Director's Cut due to SirKicksalot's mention of it a while back. It's surprisingly different from the theatrical cut, the first half is sort of a complete remix and quite a bit weirder too. I think I probably prefer the theatrical's first half, but it's a close call. The theatrical just seems a bit cleaner in its storytelling and maybe a bit more epic. On the other hand, some things are better explained in the director's cut.

the Worlds End - Very entertaining and funny and very very original got to be one of the best films I have seen this year. I think this was definitely more of an ensemble piece then previous movies have been and all the characters are very funny including Simon Pegg who is very likeable unlikeable. Its choc full of just entertaining jokes and action and even has a sly theme about conformity. Simon Eggs character is quite tragic actually can't help feeling sorry for him as well as disliking him. Nick Frost is something else as the respectable one and all the rest are quite fine as well. The ending is very weird and almost ruins it by saying something that is a bit grating when science fiction does but it was still quite funny and the proceeding movie was so likeable that I didn't mind it. All in all a very boozy recommendation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Just watched Drive after being told that Hotline Miami takes inspiration from it. Possible one of the best movies I've ever seen. Everything about it is great. My one complaint if I had any was that I felt a bit robbed that you don't get to see Ron Perlmans characters get killed properly like the others.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Inbred: Well, Inbred certainly isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea. As far as utterly depraved filth goes, it was surprisingly light-hearted (in that there's some pitch-black gallows humor) and I actually even gave a shit about one or two of the characters. The tone is somewhere between Killer Joe, Peter Jackson's Braindead, and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the latter of which it could easily have been a sequel to.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    The tone is somewhere between Killer Joe, Peter Jackson's Braindead, and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the latter of which it could easily have been a sequel to.
    Now I'm going to have to watch this. It's not on Netflix, unfortunately.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    I may well have mentioned it last time I saw it, but Grosse Point Blank was just on the telly again and it remains one of my favourite films ever. It definitely has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. Dan Akroyd's on top form, too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Now I'm going to have to watch this. It's not on Netflix, unfortunately.
    There's very overt TCM visual homage and a nod to Straw Dogs as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Watched Chronicles of Riddick - Director's Cut due to SirKicksalot's mention of it a while back.
    And now I rewatched it because you mentioned it and I don't usually rewatch movies ever.

A really weird movie but surprisingly watchable. Usually I don't have enough attention to watch something this long at home but I only paused once to go grab some coffee. Again, surprisingly I liked the non-action stuff most. The action itself is so-so and CGI is kind of bad, still I can't say I wan't entertained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Watched Chronicles of Riddick - Director's Cut due to SirKicksalot's mention of it a while back.
    And now I rewatched it because you mentioned it and I don't usually rewatch movies ever.

A really weird movie but surprisingly watchable. Usually I don't have enough attention to watch something this long at home but I only paused once to go grab some coffee. Again, surprisingly I liked the non-action stuff most. The action itself is so-so and CGI is kind of bad, still I can't say I wasn't entertained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post

A really weird movie but surprisingly watchable. Usually I don't have enough attention to watch something this long at home but I only paused once to go grab some coffee. Again, surprisingly I liked the non-action stuff most. The action itself is so-so and CGI is kind of bad, still I can't say I wan't entertained.
    Pitch Black is definitely better, I think at least in terms of consistency, but Chronicles of Riddick does have this utterly marvellous scene. Kyra, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( . Then again, Pitch Black is full of them. "I said it looks clear."