Page 8 of 164 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Wasn't that impressed by Hanna. I thought the film just didn't take itself too seriously.

Oh but in contrast, THE GUARD was fantastic! I recommend it to all.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I just watched K-PAX, starring Jeff Bridges and Kevin Spacey. Good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    The Dead (2010).
    Odd movie. Sort of like two directors met a good effects guy and felt they had to use him for something, but then couldn't really agree on where they wanted to go with the movie (I think there's only one director). Parts of it seem to be going for some depth and then you get weird action movie cliches inbetween. Acting is rather uneven too. I did kind of enjoy it anyway.

Age of Heroes (2011).
    Reminded me a bit of some of the war movies from the sixties and seventies, Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare and such, except it's not as tight as those. It feels like it builds up to something but then just sort of ends. There's also an odd scene with an overly psychopathic SS type that seems a little out of place. Still, good actors and it is enjoyable.

The Road (2009).
    Not sure what to think... It's sort of possibly good and annoying at the same time.
    Last edited by Similar; 23-09-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Post needs more 'sort of's

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The Road was probably one of the most depressing movies i probably ever seen that year, which is kind of why I liked it. Post-Apocalypse is supposed to be kinda bleak.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    The Road was probably one of the most depressing movies i probably ever seen that year, which is kind of why I liked it. Post-Apocalypse is supposed to be kinda bleak.
    yeah, I don't really know. Maybe it was the ending that bothered me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    yeah, I don't really know. Maybe it was the ending that bothered me.
    The ending is true to the book. I don't think the film is bad and I though Viggo was great as the father, but the book is a modern classic and I'd advise anyone to read that over watching the film.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Not True.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Wasn't that impressed by Hanna. I thought the film just didn't take itself too seriously.
    The best thing about Hanna IMHO was the sound track by the Chemical Brothers.

edit: looking back at the thread and the discussion over Chinatown, I remember that Jack Nicholas had made a sequel to it: The Two Jakes. However I can't recall seeing it, anyone have thoughts on it?

Also big thanks for the heads up on the international version of Leon (33 minutes cut!?) and Attack the Block - looks hilarious. All three have been queued for download but will be a ways off, still making my way through Boardwalk Empire this week.
    Last edited by DigitalSignalX; 24-09-2011 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    The ending is true to the book. I don't think the film is bad and I though Viggo was great as the father, but the book is a modern classic and I'd advise anyone to read that over watching the film.
    I couldn't handle McCarthy's prose style. I managed with No Country For Old Men which did something similar (I've no clue about the rest of his oeuvre) but possibly only because I had Tommy Lee Jones' voice in my head to serve as a guide there.

I enjoyed the film though. Special Achievement in the Colour Gray. :P
    Last edited by Rii; 24-09-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just watched The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec. It's .... well, I like it. I'm still not entirely sure what just happened though.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I couldn't handle McCarthy's prose style. I managed with No Country For Old Men which did something similar (I've no clue about the rest of his oeuvre) but possibly only because I had Tommy Lee Jones' voice in my head to serve as a guide there.

I enjoyed the film though. Special Achievement in the Colour Gray. :P
    Aw, McCarthy is the king! I just finished The Orchard Keeper, it's really brilliant. I quite like the Road (the film) but I'd agree with Kadayi here, if you liked the film, read the book! And then everything else McCarthy's written!

Schindler's List

I'm not sure you're allowed to criticise this film, but here goes: it was overly long and, towards the end, overwrought and self-indulgent. Much of the last hour could've been cut, including the entire Auschwitz sequence: "yay, he's rescuing them", "oh no, the train got diverted!", "yay, he got them back!" ... complete waste of time. More than that the fake gassing sequence was totally uncool and felt as if I'd stepped into a cheap thriller flick for a minute.

There's a lot to like; in some ways it goes above and beyond what one would expect of a film dealing with such horrors. The flaws are vexing not merely because they mar an otherwise superlative film, but because they're flaws that are so typical of Hollywood, which has never heard of restraint, 'less is more' or 'show, don't tell'. I'd only seen Schindler's List once before, many years ago, and going into it again I was, frankly, skeptical. The first 90 minutes saw me cast my doubts aside - having to pick them back up again was depressing.
    Last edited by Rii; 25-09-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I quite like Schindlers List at the beginning because it shows Schindler wasn't all about saving the jews early on he was about exploiting something to gain a business and it was the Jew played by Sir Ben Kingsley that was the one really doing a lot until Schindler realised what the nazis were actually doing. But it is a bit to long.

The problem I find is that they tell the same story, one of the reasons I really liked Downfall is that its a story I've never really heard of and its quite interesting! Please tell me other stories about WW2 or before WW2, or even WW1!

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009).
    13:22 - started thinking about doing something else.
    16:43 - started Minecraft.
    18:03 - started fast forwarding through large parts of the movie.

Nice effects, shame about the rest.

I quite like Schindlers List at the beginning because it shows Schindler wasn't all about saving the jews early on he was about exploiting something to gain a business
    Yeah, absolutely. I think the film did an excellent job of showing humanity in all its various aspects when it would've been so easy to paint everything in - if you'll forgive me - black-and-white. Goethe too. In no small part due to Fiennes' superlative performance I think he'd have to be one of the most memorable villains of cinema. Evil as a man-child.

The problem I find is that they tell the same story, one of the reasons I really liked Downfall is that its a story I've never really heard of and its quite interesting! Please tell me other stories about WW2 or before WW2, or even WW1!
    I'm not much of a war or period piece person ... umm, there's the classics Battleship Potemkin, Casabalanca and The Third Man ... The Thin Red Line (by Terrence Mallick who also directed this year's talking point Tree of Life which I haven't seen yet because I fail) is a rather unconventional war film in a very conventional setting; "a class of first-year philosophy students invades Guadalcanal" is one summary of it that always makes me laugh ... Enemy at the Gates is an ok Zaitsev/Stalingrad film. The Lives of Others is a recent German film that depicts the domestic surveillance operations of the Stasi during the Cold War and is pretty good. Alas, my well doesn't runneth much deeper than that. :P
    Last edited by Rii; 25-09-2011 at 02:21 PM.

[snip]The problem I find is that they tell the same story, one of the reasons I really liked Downfall is that its a story I've never really heard of and its quite interesting! Please tell me other stories about WW2 or before WW2, or even WW1!
    You might like Defiance then.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Oh but in contrast, THE GUARD was fantastic! I recommend it to all.
    Agreed. Brendan Gleeson carries the whole film. Dunno what happened to Don Cheadle though; he seems to have lost his charm since his early-aughts films.

I'm really excited to see Perfect Sense. Ewan McGregor turns everything he touches into gold.

I just watched Bunraku. Really want that vest Josh Hartnett is rockin'.
    Last edited by outoffeelinsobad; 29-09-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    saw Tucker & Dale VS Evil last week, couldn't recommend it enough it was great
    Last edited by LowKey; 30-09-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Primer. Time travel, eh? It'll fuck with your head. Good idea, but poorly developed. If these guys can't come up with a better way of solving their problems using partially-closed causality loops then they're really not trying hard enough.