Page 81 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 3004
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    You want Gladiator to not be about gladiators?
    He probably wants something that is better than Troy or Alexander.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Alexander Revisited: Final Cut is good. It's no Kingdom of Heaven but it's a good movie. The theatrical was painful.
    I also liked Troy but haven't seen it since launch.

Bloated epics are amazing. Hopefully Noah and Exodus will bring back historical and religious epics.

Edit: actually you can remove Noah from that list. I started reading the script and it's basically:

...but even crazier. I thought Gladiator 2 was batshit insane but this is way, way more awesome.
    Last edited by SirKicksalot; 10-09-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Alexander Revisited: Final Cut is good. It's no Kingdom of Heaven but it's a good movie. The theatrical was painful.
    I also liked Troy but haven't seen it since launch.

Bloated epics are amazing. Hopefully Noah and Exodus will bring back historical and religious epics.

Edit: actually you can remove Noah from that list. I started reading the script and it's basically:

...but even crazier. I thought Gladiator 2 was batshit insane but this is way, way more awesome.
    Exodus is directed by Ridley Scott, so Noah will be baffled by the fact that he can't just go to an ark dealer, talk to an used ark salesman and call it a day. While holding a saw.
    And God will be designed by H R Giger.

EDIT: Aren't all bible stories the same? I'm not even bothering with correcting that. That's what Ridley Scott would have done. No more Promises, Scotty.
    Last edited by somini; 11-09-2013 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Doesn't Moses creates an ark to save the Prince of Egypt from a flood?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    The new Riddick movies is pretty good. Has a great opening with few words spoken. There are ties to the first movie (Pitch Black) and second movie (Chronicles of Riddick), the third being a direct sequel after Chronicles. Katie Sackhoff's character was good at the start then they kinda threw it away.
    Yeah, if the film had any "Pick out one flaw and one flaw only", it was her character. By the end of the film, she could've really been anyone, of any gender. It seemed more like "Hey, you guys like Battlestar Galactica, right? Well here's Katie Sackhoff!" There were a couple of plot silly things - I won't say holes directly, just small stupid things - so I'd be incredibly intrigued to see what the DVD has on it in terms of a fuller cut that I think would fill in some really minor gaps that otherwise could be pretty well inferred, but on the whole I though the film was pretty great. Some lovely violence, a great first act and generally pretty good pacing.

It did feel a lot like a reboot to the series, which I heard while this was still in production and it obviously goes falls much closer to Pitch Black than Chronicles of Riddick, which as a sequel to I think they moved on from pretty sufficiently ("The guy with the fucked up face"). Plus points for standard-fare nasty dialogue and Riddick's game playing. Biggest minus point for [spoiler]no fucking "You're not afraid of the dark, are you?"[/spoiler]. WHAT THE FUCK, GUYS?!

If this is intended as full reboot with the plan of making more Riddick films, I'm still as invested to see where they take it next. Better than Chronicles, but not as good as Pitch Black, but still pretty darn good.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post

If this is intended as full reboot with the plan of making more Riddick films, I'm still as invested to see where they take it next. Better than Chronicles, but not as good as Pitch Black, but still pretty darn good.
    It was pretty damn cool but i thought it sort of got a bit too familiar to Pitch Black.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I'm surprised at how much I liked the new Riddick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

I just saw Elysium.

That was essentially District 9 - The Neuromancer remix, with a dash of Johnny Mnemonic to further the Gibson influence a bit more. Neill Blomkamp has certainly got a certain favoured visual style. Overall I enjoyed it, to the point where I'm now going to have read the Sprawl Trilogy again because they could have renamed Elysium itself The Villa Straylight and I don't think I would have noticed the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    I just saw Elysium.

That was essentially District 9 - The Neuromancer remix, with a dash of Johnny Mnemonic to further the Gibson influence a bit more. Neill Blomkamp has certainly got a certain favoured visual style. Overall I enjoyed it, to the point where I'm now going to have read the Sprawl Trilogy again because they could have renamed Elysium itself The Villa Straylight and I don't think I would have noticed the difference.
    Just what I thought. I was expecting Rastafarians. I didn't like it that much, the ending shouldn't be so idealistic. Unless the Captain Nascimento will restart the station by creating another ghetto.

In other news, I just watched Enter the Dragon, and besides falling asleep several times in between Bruce Lee's guttural sounds, I found it extremely awful. The music didn't help. I think it's just bad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, despite you all recommending every movie except Star Trek into Darkness, that was the only one available for me to watch.

I thought it was actually surprisingly good. I don't remember much about the first one, except it had good action, but some supremely dumb plot holes that rather bugged me. (though i don't now remember what they were).

This one seemed to have slightly less good action, but a better plot and no annoying plot holes.
    I'm not a trekkie at all, but it seemed to do a reasonable job of both re-imagining the universe and also generally capturing the vibe of star trek. I rather liked the plot twists, and most of the references back to old trek. (and the nice reversals of some old trek plot points).
    TBH i mainly watched it for Bennedict Cumberbatch... and it could have done with a little more of him and a little less squeezing old spock in for no reason.

I missed WWz. I might try Pacific Rim tomorrow if i can find it in English anywhere...

PS/ Enter the Dragon is one of the best movies ever made. If you didn't enjoy it then either your fun gland is broken, or you didn't have enough beer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think Into Darkness had less actual plot holes are more plot stupidities. There were a lot of things that are quickly brushed past, but when you think about for a second make you go "Waaaaait, what? That's pretty dumb." Two examples off the top of my head, one of which is two pronged.

1. Scotty infiltrating a super secret base with even more super secret starship inside and not being discovered by this super secret organisation, made worse by the fact that the Vengeance had a smaller crew so someone extra on board would surely be more noticeable.

2. The entire fight sequence above Earth. The flagship of the Federation, of Starfleet, is in a quite obviously helpless battle and no-one asks for assistance, nor does anyone realise that the flagship of the fleet is under a heavy beat-down and no-one sends any help. This is made even worse by the fact that there appear to be no defending starships in the system, especially around Earth, nor space stations or satellites or anything that pick up on this or relay what is going on. The fact that not just one, but two starships then free-fall (from the Moon...) into atmosphere and still nothing happens. You could just, just make a point that with the Vengeance it was falling too quickly, but then that no evacuation was done of the probable landing areas is hilarious. The Enterprise was falling slower though and for longer.

Oh, and then there's this one actually which is perhaps even more ridiculous:

3. This time-line now has super blood that can bring people back from the dead. Even Tribbles now can use non-Tribble blood to bring them back! The implications of this are utterly astounding.

I think Into Darkness moves so quickly a lot of its issues are jumped over, but I kept having niggling little issues crop up while I was watching it. It really hampered my enjoyment of it.

Last edited by The JG Man; 16-09-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    PS/ Enter the Dragon is one of the best movies ever made. If you didn't enjoy it then either your fun gland is broken, or you didn't have enough beer.
    Yup, probably the beer thing. Maybe watching with friends is better?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I saw Elysium.

It was nice to look at, the story was decent even if the main character really wasn't up to all that much. While watching it though there were some very annoying plot holes. I'm not usually one for getting annoyed by them but for some reason this one did it for me.

Spoiler text below

When John Carlyle gets attacked and shot on Earth, everyone in that command centre room on Elysium is automatically warned about his trouble and impending death should he not receive immediate medical attention. When Kruger stabs Delacourt in the neck however, nobody is alerted at all.

This may have happened in a different order, but while she's dying, Spider lands his ship on Elysium, before Kruger's men blow up the command centre. How did they get in with nobody even trying to send out a detention squad or take action against them? Maybe Kruger's guy blew them all up first.

The president of Elysium has ninjas. The ninjas do nothing. Honestly, why are there ninjas in this movie??
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    I think Into Darkness had less actual plot holes are more plot stupidities. There were a lot of things that are quickly brushed past, but when you think about for a second make you go "Waaaaait, what? That's pretty dumb." Two examples off the top of my head, one of which is two pronged.
    The less thought you put into Star Trek: Into Darkness' story, the more enjoyment you get out of the movie IMHO.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I think Into Darkness had less actual plot holes are more plot stupidities. There were a lot of things that are quickly brushed past, but when you think about for a second make you go "Waaaaait, what? That's pretty dumb." bring people b
    ack from the dead. Even Tribbles now can use non-Tribble blood to bring them back! The implications of
    I think Into Darkness moves so quickly a lot of its issues are jumped over, but I kept having niggling little issues crop up while I was watching it. It really hampered my enjoyment of it.

Just like Prometheus, it sacrifices everything for pacing.
    Unlike Prometheus, it worked for me.
    It's a lot worse than the 2009 movie but it's a good way to waste two hours. It came out too late and the story did not move forward at all - the crew dynamics and challenges are basically the same. The movie I wanted to see after ST09 was the one that's hinted at the end of this one...
    However it looks good, it's funny, the pacing is great, it has Peter Weller and the warp speed combat scene is really cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Recently watched Benoît Jacquot's Les adieux à la reine, based on the book by Chantal Thomas.

The film shows how in a period of a few days, starting on the infamous July 14th 1789, the world of lectrice Agathe-Sidonie Laborde (Léa Seydoux) falls apart around her. Frightened by the fall of the Bastille and the possibility that 'the people' will march on Versailles, many residents at the French court are making plans to leave; including Queen Marie Antoinette (Diane Kruger). King Louis XVI (Xavier Beauvois) has different plans, however, and the evacuation of the royal family is called off. Meanwhile, a pamphlet reaches the court in which the rioters in Paris demand the execution of the most hated members of the ruling elite. The list includes the Queen and her favourite, the Duchess Gabrielle de Polignac (Virginie Ledoyen). Against this background, Laborde tries to make sense of the situation and of her own feelings for the Queen.

All in all, an interesting perspective on a well known moment in European history. The supposed romantic feelings between some of the three leading women was fine as a story, but more interesting, at least to me, were the scenes on the night following the fall of the Bastille, when a sense of confusion and panic takes hold of the residents of Versailles. From the dark hallways of the servant's quarters to the private rooms of the Queen herself; nobody seems really sure what is happening and what the right way to proceed is. We're obviously watching this with the knowledge of what would happen to the main characters in the years following 1789, but by focussing on a person experiencing these historic moments from the sidelines, the fictional Agathe-Sidonie Laborde, the movie kept my interest throughout.

Recommended for people with an interest in (and some background knowledge of) the period, but I don't think it holds up quite as well if you're approaching it purely as a romantic drama.

The French trailer, as the English one contains heavy spoilers:

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Yup, probably the beer thing. Maybe watching with friends is better?
    Almost certainly, and with dip. But even so it's just an awesome movie on all levels. (other than, of course, acting, story, special effects and budget).
    The opening montage shots of hong kong and the music are still stuck in my memory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think Into Darkness had less actual plot holes are more plot stupidities. There were a lot of things that are quickly brushed past, but when you think about for a second make you go "Waaaaait, what? That's pretty dumb."
    Heh, That's exactly how I remember ST1 making me feel... though it was disposable enough that I don't really remember much about the story these days. This one was reasonably disposable too, but none of the things you mentioned really bugged me that much this time.
    I guess overall the first one seemed to be trying to be the anti-star-trek, whereas this one seemed to be trying to be an alternate-reality-star-trek.

Found Pacific Rim in english. It was also a very good action movie. (I have to say that all the summer blockbusters I saw this year have had stunning sfx and really good action sequences.). It did a great job setting up a load of big fights with minimal fuss, and was pretty exciting and fun to watch. Totally disposable though.

Overall, so far, I've found Man of Steel, ST Into Darkness and Pacific Rim to be pretty much of a muchness. Lots of amazing SFX, exciting action, but all slightly missing longevity or meaning. I guess that's to be expected in a summer blockbuster.

It may be me getting old, but I don't think any of them will stick with me the way some previous dumb action movies have (Terminator, Predator, etc..). We do seem to have reached a high point in terms of cgi and action direction, but I'm still more likely to want to watch Enter the Dragon in 20 years than any of these ones. As fun as they all were.

I may give Elysuim a shot, as it's opening here soon. But people make it sound like the same exact thing again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    The less thought you put into Star Trek: Into Darkness' story, the more enjoyment you get out of the movie IMHO.
    The golden rule with anything JJ, it's always best to enjoy the spectacle and not think too much about it.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    The golden rule with anything JJ, it's always best to enjoy the spectacle and not think too much about it.
    I just watched the Moviebob review on the Escapist, and I can definitely say that I didn't think it was as bad as he did.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-Into-Darkness

I think maybe I'm the exact right level of geek for the movie. I guess for people who didn't know old trek at all, the whole big twist and the references would have been meaningless. But maybe for big star trek fans they didn't work.
    But for someone like me who is familar with trek, but not a trekkie, they worked pretty well. I at least felt like this movie was trying to be trek.

From my experience of Alias, I guess you might be right though. It will be interesting to see how his take on Star Wars comes across, as that's something i am (or once was) much much more geeky about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I think my main problem with JJ films at this point is his continued love affair with Simon Pegg who for me has firmly moved from amusing geek in spaced to becoming the UKs equivalent of Jack Black when it comes to gurning his way through movies. Guy is as unbearable as Gervais.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    From my experience of Alias, I guess you might be right though. It will be interesting to see how his take on Star Wars comes across, as that's something i am (or once was) much much more geeky about.
    I'm honestly not convinced his appointment is a particularly good move in truth. He does great spectacle, but the vast bulk of the criticisms with the later Star Wars films was not about the spectacle but about the frankly terrible plots underpinning them, and JJ isn't really someone whose going to address those concerns. However all Disney probably care about is bums on seats and toy licensing to recoup their investment. Quality story line likely isn't a priority. Though in truth the Star Wars universe is such a garbled mess of throwaway lines from the films hammered into a fictional reality ('Clone wars'..cos we're using clones..) I don't envy anyone having to take it forward Vs a complete reboot and extensive rethink.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 17-09-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099