Page 84 of 230 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 4588
  1. #1661
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,395
    Pacific Rim was shit. As an intelligent person.

    However. Cut anything to do with relationships between pilots, science or anything to do with 2 pilots sharing minds...
    I.e. just the robot fights.. It's fucking brilliant.

  2. #1662
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,638
    Yep. Pacific Rim was(is?) the ultimate popcorn movie summer block buster.

    Massive robots, massive monsters, massive fights. Look great on screen, had a great sound track and had great fights. Didn't outstay it's welcome and didn't even try convince you it was smarter than it was. All the science stuff was just pretty much glossed over rather than spending long scenes trying to explain it. Less talky more smashy and we got more smashy.

    If Godzilla is half as good an action movie as PR I'll be chuffed.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  3. #1663
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,421
    Its not bad movie for sure but somehow i felt disappointed at how it ended. It was quite cliche. I liked russian robot design,others were nice to but the monsters didn't have same affect for me,they look kinda lame,quickly designed. Not cgi but the design,cgi was quite good.

  4. #1664
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    *sploosh*

    /10char
    I must be the only person who remembers the '98 version. Never again.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

  5. #1665
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,887
    Saturday matinee! Or, more precisely, needing to watch a film in the afternoon and then watching another in the evening with pizza. The latter was The Adjustment Bureau, starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt's breasts. Also, Emily Blunt. Unfortunately a few sequences near the end of the film have her in a dress that doesn't really suit running around in and there's a noticeable amount of jiggle. That aside, it's a pretty good film. Quite surprising, actually. It goes from making you think it's going to be a bit of a weird conspiracy theory film to something pretty different. There's a good few holes in it and it's not completely cohesive or reasonable, but it's a pretty good watch if you're looking for something easy that will exceed expectations.

    The former was Stardust, a film I was interested in when it came out but never got round to seeing for whatever reason. And it's great! As in, legitimately, really good fun. It doesn't take itself too seriously, has a very English sense about it and is a really well done take on the classic fairy tale story. Good imagery, ideas etc. all meshed together and whilst it isn't exactly original, it's just a good ride to the finish line. It's basically a more cynical Princess Bride, which I'm perfectly fine with. It also stars some very pretty people in.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  6. #1666
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    5,062
    I'll start my animé binge soon, but yesterday I saw The Untouchables and I found it absolutely dreadful. The soundtrack is amazing(Morricone) and the wardrobe and cars are very well made, but the resst is abshulute garbache. Shaun Connery ish on of the the worsht offendersh.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  7. #1667
    Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Shaun Connery ish on of the the worsht offendersh.
    I'm more fond of The Untouchable than you are, but there's no denying that Sean Connery's Irish accent is horrendous. Strangely enough he won an Academy Award for his performance in this film.

    What's even stranger is that Wikipedia apparently has a list of film accents considered the worst ever. Now I have the sudden urge to rewatch Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

  8. #1668
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,795
    Nobody else saw Gravity?
    It's one of the best movies I've ever seen. As an experience it's up there with Avatar and The Hobbit in HFR. I'm going to watch it a couple more times while it's still in cinemas.

  9. #1669
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    5,062
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    I'm more fond of The Untouchable than you are, but there's no denying that Sean Connery's Irish accent is horrendous. Strangely enough he won an Academy Award for his performance in this film.
    An Oscar for that, there is no god. Maybe he was "due"?
    Kevin Costner has two entries in that list and he is also on Untouchables. Coincidence? I think NOT.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  10. #1670
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    3,363
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    The former was Stardust, a film I was interested in when it came out but never got round to seeing for whatever reason. And it's great! As in, legitimately, really good fun. It doesn't take itself too seriously, has a very English sense about it and is a really well done take on the classic fairy tale story. Good imagery, ideas etc. all meshed together and whilst it isn't exactly original, it's just a good ride to the finish line. It's basically a more cynical Princess Bride, which I'm perfectly fine with. It also stars some very pretty people in.
    Stardust is a really fantastic film, and the comparison to Princess Bride is quite apt. I think it did a better job of balancing its tone than Princess Bride, too - its darker moments were much more effective.

  11. #1671
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,261
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Nobody else saw Gravity?
    It's one of the best movies I've ever seen. As an experience it's up there with Avatar and The Hobbit in HFR. I'm going to watch it a couple more times while it's still in cinemas.
    I plan on watching it later this week as I am interested in all things space related.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

  12. #1672
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,378
    White House Down. It feels about an hour too long and the rest isn't really that interesting either.

  13. #1673
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    5,062
    I saw Gravity today and I think it's the Crysis of the film world. Technically impressive, but nothing groundbreaking. It's not bad, mind you, but I don't think it deserves such hype.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  14. #1674
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,395
    Yesterday I saw Rush which was great.

    However I just finished watching Requiem For A Dream..... fuck.

  15. #1675
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    13
    I'm gonna watch some fucking German expressionism because I'm a right cultured little bastard. Something about some Italian with a dodgy cupboard. Might be alright. Cabinet of Dr Caligari whatever, just organise the shelving a bit better you dumb greaseball.

  16. #1676
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    5,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    However I just finished watching Requiem For A Dream..... fuck.
    ASS TO ASS!

    Ahem.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  17. #1677
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    However I just finished watching Requiem For A Dream..... fuck.
    It loses some of its impact when one realizes what a preachy hyperbole it is.

    It is a beautiful hyperbole, though.

  18. #1678
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Nobody else saw Gravity?
    It's one of the best movies I've ever seen. As an experience it's up there with Avatar and The Hobbit in HFR. I'm going to watch it a couple more times while it's still in cinemas.
    I saw this but have no idea what it was about. Then again, I have no idea what Children of Men was getting at either.

  19. #1679
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,559
    Argo - Pretty good thriller holds your attention the plot is good and it is bloody tense at the end. I do find it funny that it uses as its we have all done a good job hug after they say we have entered american airspace you can have a drink kind of shows you what the filmmakers think. Throughout I was thinking why just those 6 people I know it might have been impossible to rescue them all but it seemed like those 6 were pretty damn lucky
    .

  20. #1680
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Throughout I was thinking why just those 6 people I know it might have been impossible to rescue them all but it seemed like those 6 were pretty damn lucky
    .
    Argo was the last film I saw at the cinema. I agree that it was brilliant in ratcheting up the tension, and it did so without any real 'action' scenes. I had gone in after hearing people rave about it, but I was still surprised at how well it pulled it all off.

    But to your point, those six were the only ones who weren't held in the embassy by people with guns. The fact that so much was risked for those six people is what was so impactful. These weren't high-up intelligence officers or people with national security secrets to spill. They were just people, and they were damned lucky. In that regard it reminded me a lot of Saving Private Ryan. It wasn't done because it was important for politics/national security/war effort it was done because it was worth saving someone or six someones.

    The only thing I didn't care for was the self-serving Jimmy Carter voiceover at the end. I'm no Republican and can find plenty to fault Reagan for, but Carter was a particularly ineffectual president. I think he was a good man, but he made a very bad president. Argo completely glossed over the fact that the hostages were taken as a reaction to the Carter administration's policies and that they were released within hours of Reagan being sworn in. The whole hostage situation was Carter's doing and his albatross.

    I hate to drag politics etc into movies, but Argo is a film that centres on the policies of the Carter administration without ever addressing them. I think that is the one failing of an otherwise superb movie. The Iranians and the hostages were removed from any kind of context of the world and policies of the time.

    I'm going to watch the new(est) Batman movie tonight. I hope to see some in-depth analysis of the machinations of city hall and the reasons why Bane might want to be a bad, bad man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •