Page 85 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2641
  1. #1681
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Throughout I was thinking why just those 6 people I know it might have been impossible to rescue them all but it seemed like those 6 were pretty damn lucky
    .
    Argo was the last film I saw at the cinema. I agree that it was brilliant in ratcheting up the tension, and it did so without any real 'action' scenes. I had gone in after hearing people rave about it, but I was still surprised at how well it pulled it all off.

    But to your point, those six were the only ones who weren't held in the embassy by people with guns. The fact that so much was risked for those six people is what was so impactful. These weren't high-up intelligence officers or people with national security secrets to spill. They were just people, and they were damned lucky. In that regard it reminded me a lot of Saving Private Ryan. It wasn't done because it was important for politics/national security/war effort it was done because it was worth saving someone or six someones.

    The only thing I didn't care for was the self-serving Jimmy Carter voiceover at the end. I'm no Republican and can find plenty to fault Reagan for, but Carter was a particularly ineffectual president. I think he was a good man, but he made a very bad president. Argo completely glossed over the fact that the hostages were taken as a reaction to the Carter administration's policies and that they were released within hours of Reagan being sworn in. The whole hostage situation was Carter's doing and his albatross.

    I hate to drag politics etc into movies, but Argo is a film that centres on the policies of the Carter administration without ever addressing them. I think that is the one failing of an otherwise superb movie. The Iranians and the hostages were removed from any kind of context of the world and policies of the time.

    I'm going to watch the new(est) Batman movie tonight. I hope to see some in-depth analysis of the machinations of city hall and the reasons why Bane might want to be a bad, bad man.

  2. #1682
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyshines View Post
    I'm going to watch the new(est) Batman movie tonight. I hope to see some in-depth analysis of the machinations of city hall and the reasons why Bane might want to be a bad, bad man.
    Yes, no. Wait, as an Australian I mean... Yeah, nahhhh.

  3. #1683
    Lesser Hivemind Node Similar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    938
    Elysium. Not bad, actually. Hardly life changing, and the evil bad guy is a bit overdone, Jodie Foster is a tad two dimensional, and the final boss fight is a bit silly too, but still...
    Granted, it has Alice Braga in it and I'm pretty much incapable of being objective about movies she's in (she looks rather like an ex of mine), so I may be too positive.

  4. #1684
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I saw Gravity today and I think it's the Crysis of the film world. Technically impressive, but nothing groundbreaking. It's not bad, mind you, but I don't think it deserves such hype.
    I see. And what is youre favorite space movie?

  5. #1685
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
    I see. And what is youre favorite space movie?
    Good Question. Apollo 13 was not bad, 2001 was really good, Alien was realy great. I don't recall seeing any other space movies. Small Reference Pools, I admit.
    EDIT: Is Alien a space movie?
    Last edited by somini; 14-10-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  6. #1686
    Network Hub Dubbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    428
    Watched Side Effects which was very enjoyable. I was lucky to go in with nothing other than the Netflix description and a few recommendations from friends. The story did not go where I expected and it turned out to be a different type of movie than I had settled in to watch. I normally find Jude Law very annoying but he was great and Mara Rooney (gosh, she's pretty) was also excellent.

    Edit: I also watch historical movies, I guess.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

  7. #1687
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,529
    Machete Kills was a blast. I haven't had this much fun in a theater since, well, Machete. It's pretty much more of the same, so whatever reaction you had to the first is likely the same you'd have from this one. The ending is well set up the the next installment, which I hope happens as Rodriguez has a knack for this kind of film.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

  8. #1688
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I saw Gravity today and I think it's the Crysis of the film world. Technically impressive, but nothing groundbreaking. It's not bad, mind you, but I don't think it deserves such hype.
    I see. And what is youre favorite space movie?
    Crysis - that's nice description of Gravity. It lacks something besides superb special effects. And I was somewhat pissed about how realistic this movie is trying to be just to throw

    SPOILER

    a scene where Sandra Bullock is fire extinguisher-jetpacking into space station that moves with speed of ~7000m/s bullshit.
    I think this is just slightly more intelligent stupid blockbuster, like Nolan's Batman movies where entire police forces of city with high criminal rate is going into servers to catch one bad guy and his henchmen and get trapped.
    I mean, these two are still better than most crap (saw Thor 2 trailer today in cinema - what a shit) that is screened in cinema, but don't except something truly brilliant.

    SPOILER OFF.


    And the best space movie is of course Alien. And Space Odyssey.
    Last edited by GameCat; 14-10-2013 at 07:32 PM.

  9. #1689
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    Watched Side Effects which was very enjoyable.
    Contagion 2? Seems like it. It's not a bad thing, mind you.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  10. #1690
    Network Hub Dubbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Contagion 2? Seems like it. It's not a bad thing, mind you.
    No, nothing like it :) More of a psychological thriller.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

  11. #1691
    Recently i saw white house down and olympus has fallen white house down being a lot more lighthearted that olympus but they´re both great , and not so recently a serbian film and i spit on you grave 2... and man, theyre rough

  12. #1692
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,240
    Gravity: It's remarkable that a protagonist who repeatedly escapes the most implausible of space-deaths can still be so inept. And annoying.

    I can't believe they named Clooney's character "Kowalski." The layers of symbolism Cuaron hashed onto the end do nothing but draw attention to the fact that this is about three IQ points north of your average Summer blockbuster. I guess I'll watch Pacific Rim and see if the opposite approach makes me gag, too.
    Last edited by sabrage; 15-10-2013 at 07:28 AM.

  13. #1693
    Lesser Hivemind Node Labbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    604
    I thought Gravity was the best movie I've seen all year. It's incredibly tense, and I've never been so scared of characters dying. Sure, lots of things don't make sense, but I didn't really mind because it didn't feel as though the movie patronised me in a "okay, this doesn't make any sense, but the stupid audience doesn't know that" kind of way that happens so often in movies.

    A friend of mine recommended Side Effects, and while Rooney Mara is a pretty woman, the movie was kind of a drag, I thought. Some things felt really forced, such as the SPOILER: wife that is suddenly extremely jealous for no reason at all. Maybe I just overthink movies about psychology though.

    Went to see The Foam of the Days yesterday, because the trailer looked really good, and indeed the first half was reaaaally good. Visually inventive, highly stylized, but always supporting the mood. Very funny, very emotionally touching for me.
    The second half I didn't really feel, and I think putting the ending where it is sends a wrong message. Still, very much worth it for the first half alone.

    Also:
    Saturday matinee! Or, more precisely, needing to watch a film in the afternoon and then watching another in the evening with pizza. The latter was The Adjustment Bureau, starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt's breasts. Also, Emily Blunt. Unfortunately a few sequences near the end of the film have her in a dress that doesn't really suit running around in and there's a noticeable amount of jiggle. That aside, it's a pretty good film. Quite surprising, actually. It goes from making you think it's going to be a bit of a weird conspiracy theory film to something pretty different. There's a good few holes in it and it's not completely cohesive or reasonable, but it's a pretty good watch if you're looking for something easy that will exceed expectations.
    I saw the movie a day before you did and would describe it 100% the same. Get out of my head!
    Last edited by Labbes; 15-10-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

  14. #1694
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    It loses some of its impact when one realizes what a preachy hyperbole it is.

    It is a beautiful hyperbole, though.
    Preachy about what exactly?

  15. #1695
    Lesser Hivemind Node Similar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    938
    Lone Ranger. hum. Not sure what they were aiming for there and I don't think they were either. Also didn't have anything much to do with the comic I read as a kid (which, as an aside, confused me for quite some years because "Lone" is a female firstname here).
    Last edited by Similar; 15-10-2013 at 04:04 PM.

  16. #1696
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    I didn't really mind because it didn't feel as though the movie patronised me in a "okay, this doesn't make any sense, but the stupid audience doesn't know that" kind of way that happens so often in movies.
    Really? The whole movie felt like a yo-yo of credulity to me.

  17. #1697
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Preachy about what exactly?
    "Drugs are bad m'kay"

  18. #1698
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    "Drugs are bad m'kay"
    That's not what the movie is about.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  19. #1699
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    "Drugs are bad m'kay"
    Yeah that's really not what the film is about at all. There's lots of layered criticism in there about state intervention while also maintaining a narrative with rich characters and their personal decisions/flaws/etc.

    There'd be a stronger argument to make about how it represents the state and drug policy as being preachy, though I don't think it is.

  20. #1700
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Lone Ranger. hum. Not sure what they were aiming for there and I don't think they were either. Also didn't have anything much to do with the comic I read as a kid (which, as an aside, confused me for quite some years because "Lone" is a female firstname here).
    The last action scene and the carnivorous rabbits are undeniably brilliant.
    I'm always happy to see Barry Pepper.
    The rest, well, it mostly sucks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •