Page 89 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 3016
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Counselor
    Critics and audience are rather bashing this movie, but it's really great, trust me. I think it's another victiom of "OMG I thought it's an action movie!", because it have only few action scenes, many long sequences where 2 characters are just talking and plot isn't overexplained, it actualy assumes that viewer is intelligent enough to fill a few gaps.
    I think it may be too much for casual cinema audience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Kill List. I have no idea what to make of the plot, but it's certainly well acted.

Super. See above.

Frankenstein's Army. Sort of the usual insane nazi doctor thing and the plot won't win any awards, but it's pretty well made with some rather unusual monster designs. They should have left the name Frankenstein out of it, though; no need for that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Regarding Super, I couldn't remember if I'd written about it on here, but a quick search points to the clear answer. In short, I felt similarly to you in that it was well acted, although did think the plot was okay, but had a lot of issues with the tone and theme. A lot of moments in it are just done in a jarring manner which made it quite hard to properly sit back and enjoy it, whilst never reaching the thought provoking depth that other films have got out of me.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Regarding Super, I couldn't remember if I'd written about it on here, but a quick search points to the clear answer. In short, I felt similarly to you in that it was well acted, although did think the plot was okay, but had a lot of issues with the tone and theme. A lot of moments in it are just done in a jarring manner which made it quite hard to properly sit back and enjoy it, whilst never reaching the thought provoking depth that other films have got out of me.
    I agree with what you wrote back then. It's a weird mess, like they couldn't make up their minds about what they wanted to do with it. Comedy shifting to severely unpleasant scenes and back again (which could perhaps have worked, but doesn't).
    I did sort of enjoy it anyway, if mainly because they do act well (especially Ellen Page as you said), but yeah, the only thing that really provokes thought is the confusion it leaves you with.

Princess Blade / Shura Yukihime (2001). Found this on a ten years old CD. There's a reason it didn't change the history of film making, but I've always had a soft spot for it, partly because of the fight scenes and the main character.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The Shining - I watched it the first time around and I don't think I really got it and so I probably wasn't that scared I thought it was a weak one of Kubricks along with Eyes Wide Shut but having watched it again I think I got it and I got engrossed which meant the atmosphere and the horror of it really got to me. I have a feeling I kind of know what its about and I'm surprised the Room 237 guys(a film based on really crazy theories on this film) went from holocaust to the gold standard and not this one. Isn't it kind of clearly about abuse? I also think that its really about the writer making himself the villian in his own story based on a history of what his dad did and using it as a kind of cleansing of his inner demons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    The Shining - I watched it the first time around and I don't think I really got it and so I probably wasn't that scared I thought it was a weak one of Kubricks along with Eyes Wide Shut but having watched it again I think I got it and I got engrossed which meant the atmosphere and the horror of it really got to me. I have a feeling I kind of know what its about and I'm surprised the Room 237 guys(a film based on really crazy theories on this film) went from holocaust to the gold standard and not this one. Isn't it kind of clearly about abuse? I also think that its really about the writer making himself the villian in his own story based on a history of what his dad did and using it as a kind of cleansing of his inner demons.
    I fully agree with you, I still got to see that documentary to see what kind of points they miss.

I watched Seven Samurai(the whole 3h30, only interrupted by the intermission) and I feel like I've been living in the dark and had an epiphany. Truly an epic movie, with testicle-shivering depth in everything. The fight in the mud will stay with me for all my life. All that power! Mifune plays the opposite of his character on Yojimbo, and completely steals the show. Truly one of the finest collection of frames ever put to film.

Yesterday I wanted to keep up the pace with the awesomeness so I was starting with Grave of the Fireflies. Unfortunately, the files I recovered from my HDD after Windows committed harakiri were nearly all corrupted (Seven Samurai was sparred, not even disk errors can touch it), so I turned the TV. Lakeview Terrace with Samuel L Jackson. It's very interesting to see a film tackling this kinds of questions without deriving into a bunch of clichés and preachiness. Ebert said to imagine all the races switched and it really makes you think.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I still got to see that documentary to see what kind of points they miss

Oh its because they obsess about Kubricks set design and think every little detail means something, which I don't doubt about Kubrick he was pretty autistic when it came to set design but I can't help but feel there missing the wood from the trees when they do that. Like because its a German Typewriter and he is writing on it it must be about the holocaust. And because Danny is wearing that jumper of Apollo 11 it must be Stanley Kubrick saying he faked the moon landing.

I feel you kind of actually got to sit back from Kubricks films a little bit and analyse why he's doing his particular shots, thats how I came to the conclusion that the writer was imagining Wendy's and Dannys character(which is something a lot of others have picked on as well) cause there was way to many shots of him looking at them weirdly or in a god like way ad there is that shot where they literally look like they are coming out of the typewriter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I really enjoyed Super. It depicted a graphic, adolescent power fantasy about superheroes gone unchecked. Its initial catharsism turns into something ugly and uncomfortably brutal - a climax of horrific, pure id. Probably my favourite James Gunn film, although I'm not sure I want to watch it again.

Excellent write-up on Seven Samurai Somini, but damn you because you've compelled me to find and watch it again myself...
    Last edited by Screwie; 18-11-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Gravity is beautiful and astonishing.

Its rare that a film will allow me to switch off all cynicism and any jaded feelings I might have and let me immerse myself into its world.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Excellent write-up on Seven Samurai Somini, but damn you because you've compelled me to find and watch it again myself...
    Thanks! Don't forget to get some food, 3h30 hours is a lot. Better yet, eat food wherever the characters are too, to increase immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Oh its because they obsess about Kubricks set design and think every little detail means something, which I don't doubt about Kubrick he was pretty autistic when it came to set design but I can't help but feel there missing the wood from the trees when they do that. Like because its a German Typewriter and he is writing on it it must be about the holocaust. And because Danny is wearing that jumper of Apollo 11 it must be Stanley Kubrick saying he faked the moon landing.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]I feel you kind of actually got to sit back from Kubricks films a little bit and analyse why he's doing his particular shots, thats how I came to the conclusion that the writer was imagining Wendy's and Dannys character(which is something a lot of others have picked on as well) cause there was way to many shots of him looking at them weirdly or in a god like way ad there is that shot where they literally look like they are coming out of the typewriter.
    It has to be hard to be on the receiving end of a Shrug of God

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I fully agree with you, I still got to see that documentary to see what kind of points they miss.
    I haven't seen the doc, but there are some great analyses of Kubrick's film by this guy:

This one's about the spatial impossibilities of the Overlook Hotel, but the one on Full Metal Jacket was truly eye-opening for me.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Expendables - Extended Cut. Avoid. Somehow manages to turn what was a fairly okay movie into something barely worth watching. Not quite sure how, but it does.

In Bruges. Took a couple of false starts (entirely due to my own hangups), but I ended up really enjoying this. Excellent acting, weird and good story.

Red (2010). Thought I should watch this since I watched Red 2 a short while ago. It's actually quite a charming movie, to my surprise. Feels like they had fun making it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I haven't seen the doc, but there are some great analyses of Kubrick's film by this guy:

This one's about the spatial impossibilities of the Overlook Hotel, but the one on Full Metal Jacket was truly eye-opening for me.
    Yeah, there's some cool Borges/Danielewski-style paradoxes in The Shining.

Finally got around around so see Myazaki stuff. Where to begin?

By something he didn't make. Grave of the Fireflies is in the same category as When the Wind Blows and Threads, "the best movie you won't want to see again". Brutally tear jeaker, I really could use some hugs after seeing it. I even have a little sister...

Off to more uplifting stuff. Not. Mononoke-sama is a gripping tale of an feral ecoterrorist raised by wolves that discover what you hu-mans call "emotions". It's really well made, and it manages to be ever more exciting even when you think they can't top what you just saw. It's also darker than I expected, but not too much.

Now Nausicaä and the Valley of Wind just blew my mind. It's just so beautiful. It has electronic-ish music and all. And she's wearing pants, I wasn't sure of this and some scenes were really weird. But yeah, there is so much going on it's hard to verbalize it all.
    I think it has some similarities with Cowboy Bebop, like landing planes in the water, and that red plane was really similar to Spike's. I could swear some of the voice actor's were the Bebop ones, but I guess I can't tell Japanese people apart just by their voices.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    In Bruges. Took a couple of false starts (entirely due to my own hangups), but I ended up really enjoying this. Excellent acting, weird and good story.
    YOU'RE AN INANIMATE FUCKING OBJECT!

Fantastic film.