Page 9 of 141 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I quite like Schindlers List at the beginning because it shows Schindler wasn't all about saving the jews early on he was about exploiting something to gain a business and it was the Jew played by Sir Ben Kingsley that was the one really doing a lot until Schindler realised what the nazis were actually doing. But it is a bit to long.

The problem I find is that they tell the same story, one of the reasons I really liked Downfall is that its a story I've never really heard of and its quite interesting! Please tell me other stories about WW2 or before WW2, or even WW1!
    I'm no war film expert either but I have a few recommendations:

Come and See - a rare look at WW2 from the Soviet civilian side. It is by far the most horrific war film I've seen and it's not because it's graphic (although it certainly doesn't shy away from anything) but because it feels both raw and real, and like a feverish nightmare.

Kanal - Andrzej Wajda is a director well worth checking out. Quite a number of his films are set during WW2 and all of them chronicle sides of stories rarely told. I've seen two, this one and the more recent Katyn, and they are both very good. Kanal is my favourite of the two. It takes place during the final days of the 1944 Warsaw ghetto uprising, focusing on a group of Polish citizens who have withdrawn to the sewer systems to escape from the German army. Bleak, very intense and a film that really stays with you. Kanal is part of a trilogy, with the other two films being A Generation and Ashes and Diamonds neither of which I've been able to track down.

Ivan's Childhood - Tarkovsky's (Solaris, Stalker) debut film. It's the story of a war orphan who becomes an intelligence scout for the Russian army. It's naturally harrowing stuff, and like Come And See is a mix of the real and the surreal, but being Tarkovsky it's also full of breathtaking visual poetry.

The White Ribbon - A very dark drama, set in a German village leading up to WW1 but it's less about WW1 as it is about the social and psychological origins of WW2 or as Haneke himself puts it "the origin of every type of terrorism, be it of political or religious nature." In typical Haneke fashion it is discomforting and quietly disturbing without being explicitly shocking.

None of these are films you'll wan't to watch if you're looking for a good time but if you're in the mood for something different ala Downfall then give 'em a go.
    Last edited by Angel Dust; 30-09-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    A Tarkovsky war film, that I might definitly put on the list, since I have been wanting to watch Solaris for awhile as well. Really liked his Stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    The White Ribbon - A very dark drama, set in a German village leading up to WW1 but it's less about WW1 as it is about the social and psychological origins of WW2 or as Haneke himself puts it "the origin of every type of terrorism, be it of political or religious nature." In typical Haneke fashion it is discomforting and quietly disturbing without being explicitly shocking.
    God, how did I miss this? The White Ribbon is sublime. And perhaps it was only because I'm slow and wasn't reflective of others' experience with the film, but my awareness of the goings-on was constrained in such a way that there arrived quite late in the piece a moment of awful realisation that made me almost physically ill. Brilliant stuff.

Thanks for your other recommendations also, I shall investigate!

Network Hub
    I'll add to that recommendation of Come and See. Needs to be watched.

Regeneration is also worth a look. Based on a novel about the treatment of shell-shocked WW1 soldiers. Not read the book myself, but I found the film interesting.

Watched Drive. I was blown away, its much better than I expected. Now I see why it's got such a buzz. Great direction, amazing style, Gosling exudes McQueen cool and the soundtrack is superb.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    ICome and See - a rare look at WW2 from the Soviet civilian side. It is by far the most horrific war film I've seen and it's not because it's graphic (although it certainly doesn't shy away from anything) but because it feels both raw and real, and like a feverish nightmare.
    It's unremittingly grim. Definitely worth seeing, but pretty harrowing viewing.

Anyway

Watched Drive. I was blown away, its much better than I expected. Now I see why it's got such a buzz. Great direction, amazing style, Gosling exudes McQueen cool and the soundtrack is superb.
    +1 from me also. It's a very understated performance, but gripping. There was an economy to the overall that really made it special. Also Carey Mulligan is extremely cute.

Just watched 'Tree of Life'. Visually fantastic (there's a mesmeric sequence all about the creation of the universe), and a wonderful encapsulation of the inquisitiveness of childhood, but it never really qualifies the necessity for the modern day sequences with Sean Penn from what I could see. Perhaps it's in there, but I just couldn't see the existential crisis that was making him reflect upon his early childhood. Still, beautiful and moving.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Just watched 'Tree of Life'. Visually fantastic (there's a mesmeric sequence all about the creation of the universe), and a wonderful encapsulation of the inquisitiveness of childhood, but it never really qualifies the necessity for the modern day sequences with Sean Penn from what I could see. Perhaps it's in there, but I just couldn't see the existential crisis that was making him reflect upon his early childhood. Still, beautiful and moving.
    From what I've read, neither could Penn. He isn't very happy with the way the movie turned out.
    I must admit I didn't have the patience to watch it through.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    From what I've read, neither could Penn. He isn't very happy with the way the movie turned out.
    I must admit I didn't have the patience to watch it through.
    I had a look around and spotted a mention of this on the guardian. I have to say it's quite refreshing for an actor to be that honest (I can't say I'm the biggest Sean Penn fan tbh, though he was good in 21 Grams). But you don't get any sense of the contextual relationship between the past and the present (why in his daydreams/dreams he's drawn to this specific period) and its kind of frustrating really given it's not clarified in some form.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Watched Little Shop of Horrors last night - the Frank Oz one (because I think there's an older one too?). I don't think I'd seen it since I was a kid, but my girlfriend had been randomly quoting it the last couple of weeks, so we finally got around to watching it.

It was good all-round, but the scene with Bill Murray was (unsurprisingly) fantastic. Love that man.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I had a look around and spotted a mention of this on the guardian. I have to say it's quite refreshing for an actor to be that honest [...]
    Agreed.

But you don't get any sense of the contextual relationship between the past and the present (why in his daydreams/dreams he's drawn to this specific period) and its kind of frustrating really given it's not clarified in some form.
    yeah. I felt the movie was too much about seeming deep and moody, but they kind of forgot to tie things together, which was also why I lost interest (granted, I have too much stuff to deal with right now, so I don't have a lot of patience).

I think to enjoy The Tree Of Life you kind of have to make it in your mind that this is a more poetic piece of work then a strictly narrative one. Some people might like that, but others might be turned off by it...

Amadeus

Not sure what I ever saw in this film, other than Elizabeth Berridge's breasts that is. It's turgid.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph-Sulphur View Post
    I saw that the other day with a friend of mine, because I had heard great things about it. It was nicely shot, but the movie was slow (as my friend put it, it was a one hour movie stretched into two hours). The main character spent most of the movie hovering somewhere between creepy and awkward; he has nothing on McQueen, at all. When he wasn't a creeper (seriously, that smile is so very awkward), he was a psycho. For a movie about a wheelman, there was a surprisingly small amount of wheelmanning.

And according to my mechanic friend, his fancy gauges on the dashboard weren't even connected half the time. I just don't see why it's getting all the glowing reviews I'm seeing.

Amadeus

Not sure what I ever saw in this film, other than Elizabeth Berridge's breasts that is. It's turgid.
    Did you see the original or the directors cut? I've heard that the directors cut definitely puts in a bit to much stuff that doesn't really fit and makes the film a lot worse and boring. I quite liked the film but I thought the same thing after watching the directors cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Did you see the original or the directors cut? I've heard that the directors cut definitely puts in a bit to much stuff that doesn't really fit and makes the film a lot worse and boring. I quite liked the film but I thought the same thing after watching the directors cut.
    The Director's Cut. I can well imagine the theatrical cut being less actually painful, but not that it could elevate the film beyond mediocrity and justify its continued place in my collection.

[Wot is happening is that my DVD bookshelf is full and so I'm making room by revisiting films that I (1) haven't watched in aeons and (2) aren't sure would pass the inspection of my contemporary self. So far the score is 2 passes with reservations (Schindler's List and Jerry Maguire, the last by the skin of its teeth) and 1 fail - Amadeus. Several Kubrick films to go under the knife shortly!]

UPDATE: Full Metal Jacket - Fail
    Last edited by Rii; 09-10-2011 at 06:32 AM.

The Expendables - it kicks the asses of roughly 100% of the comic book trash that has been released over the last 15 years. Great, mindless, steroid and testoserone fueled 'splosions and assorted ass kickery. One thing was a bit odd and that was Mickey Rourkes monologues - it stands out simply for being the best sliver of acting I've seen in a while. Seriously.

I think I've been missing the 80's action film aesthetic more than I realised.

Today my eyeballs witnessed:

Midnight in Paris -really good, warm and funny. Classic Woody.

Tucker and Dales vs Evil - parody of the hillbilly horror genre which worked well. Some good laughs in it and nods to the classics.
    Last edited by sendmark; 09-10-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    The Expendables - it kicks the asses of roughly 100% of the comic book trash that has been released over the last 15 years. Great, mindless, steroid and testoserone fueled 'splosions and assorted ass kickery. One thing was a bit odd and that was Mickey Rourkes monologues - it stands out simply for being the best sliver of acting I've seen in a while. Seriously.
    I enjoyed that one too, which surprised me a bit, but it takes itself seriously enough to dare to invest something and not so seriously that it becomes a parody (unlike the last Rambo movie, to take one example).

I just watched Bunraku (2010). It was quite enjoyable too. It doesn't always work, but it mostly does. Not quite convinced by Ron Perlman's hairstyle, though.

The City Of Lost Children - Well that was visually interesting at least, didn't really get what was going on, I think it was a bit to oblique for its own good, throwing charaters and plot in there. Unfortunately I did watch the dub version which is kind of bad also it has a problem where I cannot understand half the things people are saying because there very garbled. Subtiltes could have been a lot better. There was some really good bits in it, The style of it is fantastic and the idea is quite novel. The main "badguys" are really very interesting especially Mr Baldy who I don't know why but loved every minute he was on screen. Maybe I might appreciate this movie on extra watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post

UPDATE: Full Metal Jacket - Fail

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat.