Page 90 of 162 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 3233
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Leon Vitali should make a riff track for Room 237.
    I would pay good money for that.
    Actually Tom Hanks is from Eyes Wide Shut, so it's spoilerific, in addition to stupid. Seriously, I can't even finish it...

On to better things. I continue to work my way through the awesome list fiddlesticks/Nausicaš-avatar-person provided.
    The Girl Who Lept Through Time is Spiderman(great power, great responsability; not the "what's this white stuff coming out of my body") meets Groundhog Day, but with better acting (No women from the anti-ageing cream ads here). And it's actually very funny, I laughed pretty hard in the first half. The second half is an emotional rollercoaster with many twists and turns with a great ending.
    It's not Ghibli-esque in the presentation (Tokyo? hasn't any Ghibli Hills and the animation is more stylized), but it's very well written and acted. fiddlesticks succeeded in making it well know!
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The Man of Tai Chi

It wasn't bad, but it always wasn't as good as people had made it out. There's not enough fighting in it. For a movie about martial arts and underground fight clubs there was only about four fights in the movie. The plot wasn't something I really cared about, but it wasn't terrible. The script was pretty poor though.

It really made me want to play Sleeping Dogs though.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Valhalla Rising. hmm. I kind of liked it, but I'm not really sure why. The atmosphere is good and it's nice with a main character who doesn't say a single word. Maybe a little too mysterious for its own good (though, the main thing it made me wonder about is why it's dedicated to Oliver Winding).

District 9. Running out of things to watch, so I rewatched this. It's a good bit more unpleasant than I remembered it. The main character is somewhat comedic, but all the rest certainly isn't.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    You are now aware that a third Dungeons & Dragons movie was made. And a second one.
    I sort of want to see the third one because of this little zombie girl sucking fingers scene:

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I would pay good money for that.It's not Ghibli-esque in the presentation (Tokyo? hasn't any Ghibli Hills and the animation is more stylized), but it's very well written and acted.
    It's been a while since I've last looked at this thread, so I'm happy to see you've enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It really is a criminally underrated film.

It's also nice to to see you liked the Ghibli recommendations. Though I should point out that the rest of their work is more light-hearted than the three films you watched. It's still amazing, but it's notably different in tone and mood.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I think it has some similarities with Cowboy Bebop, like landing planes in the water, and that red plane was really similar to Spike's. I could swear some of the voice actor's were the Bebop ones, but I guess I can't tell Japanese people apart just by their voices.
    It's possible, Japanese animators seem to borrow pretty liberally from each other. Nausicaš herself looks a lot like Princess Clarisse from Castle of Cagliostro.

clarisse_sumi_shimamoto.jpg

Not to mention Cowboy Bebop is basically Lupin III, but set in space.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    It's been a while since I've last looked at this thread, so I'm happy to see you've enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It really is a criminally underrated film.

It's also nice to to see you liked the Ghibli recommendations. Though I should point out that the rest of their work is more light-hearted than the three films you watched. It's still amazing, but it's notably different in tone and mood.
    Yeah, I just saw Spirited Away and it's more simplistic and child-like. I guess Disney's gravity is so big it transcends the entire Pacific ocean. It's just amazingly drawn, much more than the older films. I only noticed 3D trickery in a few frames, much of the complicated animation it's still hand drawn.

I'm getting Cuteness Overload, I'll have to see some more cynic stuff to return to my normal self. :)

I watched Rain Man. A tale of a retarded moron who kidnaps a mental patient. The moron and his girlfriend proceed to deal all kinds of abuses on the poor fellow: aggravated battery, sexual harassment, incitement to commit crimes, what else?
    His girlfriend starts off as the Only Sane Man, but in total apathy mode, and then reappears after the money runs out.
    By the end, I fully expected electric shock therapy or trepanation to be applied to Dustin Hoffman.
    And then the "good" thing Tom Cruise does is restoring the status quo after scarring the poor fellow for life. Truly autobiographical.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Catching Fire - Pretty good movie. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm even a bit annoyed I've to wait about another year or two for the supposed first part of two that the last book is being made into. I realize I could read the book right now, but I think I'd like to see it play out on screen.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post

It's possible, Japanese animators seem to borrow pretty liberally from each other. Nausicaš herself looks a lot like Princess Clarisse from Castle of Cagliostro.

clarisse_sumi_shimamoto.jpg

Not to mention Cowboy Bebop is basically Lupin III, but set in space.
    Err, Nausicaa and Castle of Cagliostro are both Ghibli and Miyazaki films so similarity in visual design shouldn't be a surprise.

And can we please not insult Lupin III by equating it to Cowboy Bebop? Only Jet is capable of crossing that divide. Spike...no, just no.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    And can we please not insult Lupin III by equating it to Cowboy Bebop? Only Jet is capable of crossing that divide. Spike...no, just no.
    gnhnghngn

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I have strong feelings on the Cowboy Bebop cast - i still enjoyed the tv series and the movie in particular - so lets just leave it at that. :)

I have strong feelings on the Cowboy Bebop cast - i still enjoyed the tv series and the movie in particular - so lets just leave it at that. :)
    The English dub or the original Japanese?
    I saw everything in Japanese with English subtitles, so I can't talk for the dub quality.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm an avowed dub hater. All languages. Subs 4 lyfe.

I'm an avowed dub hater. All languages. Subs 4 lyfe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I think dubs have definitely gotten better now a days I don't think the experience is weaker then the subs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I once watched Apocalypto on TV in Moldova:
    - original audio in whatever language that is
    - Russian dub on top
    - Romanian subtitles

Still got chills when they reached the city. It's so weird and beautiful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It depends on the subbing/dubbing, really. Try watching the official release of the cowboy bebop movie subbed compared to dubbed. It doesn't even make grammatical sense a lot of the time, but the dub is fine. I've always been fine with the dubs of any ghibli movie, and the ghost in the shell series was fine dubbed too. Other than that, yeah, mostly subs. It just depends, really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I once watched The Book of Eli dubbed in Spanish.

I don't speak Spanish.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I once watched Blade 2 without sound but with subs. A friend and I made the voices and sound effects.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I think dubs have definitely gotten better now a days I don't think the experience is weaker then the subs.
    I wish I could convince myself of this but from my point of view dubs fail on two crucial accounts:

Lips not moving with sound - instant immersion destruction

Lost in translation - the dub will always be another language, another culture, another context, different thought process, alternate thought construction; then there's the horrifying prospect of the dub being written by a person or persons who have zero contact with the original writers.

This is less of an issue with games. Although even here if the original language with subs option is available, I will always use that, Japanese games benefit strongly in this regard (and some Eastern European games) but in movies, tv, anime, etc. its always going to be subs. When well handled, subs have the bonus of having the luxury of trying to bring across the original context as close as possible; i'm aware that on occasion this means a little extra reading than which is necessary but if it means more accurate context, i'm all for it. Dubs are forced to stick to the same production timelines as the original.

Good anime dubs that come to mind are Ranma, Trigun and maybe Outlaw Star. These were the only ones that I managed to watch dubbed in their entirety (Yes, I watched them subbed too). For TV/movies I have yet to find a dub that I can tolerate with the sole exception of Jackie Chan films from the 80s/90s that were so over the top (Crucially, they retained the original soundtrack and sound fx and didn't butcher those unlike in the more modern dubs on dvd/bluray re-releases that the American companies like to do) but so well done at capturing the energy and charm of his works.

Speaking of Ghibli films - when Mononoke came to the west, I saw it dubbed first. It was actually pretty decent. Then Claire Danes's San opened her mouth, askghmangiyhklagsjfghjashtfag. Her San just destroyed everything; Gillian Anderson as Moro and Jada Pinkett Smith as Toki were great though.
    Last edited by khaz; 27-11-2013 at 05:39 AM.