Page 94 of 142 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2840
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    An for something completely different, Ran, AKA gender-swapped King Lear in Japan.
    Akira Kurosawa, etc
    It really is amazing, it manages to hold your attention even though it's 2h40 long and there are long stretches with no dialogue.
    Do the Japanese warriors really used those little flags on their backs? It looks really cool, and it makes it easy to tell the difference between the armies.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The Desolation of Smaug is incredible. They did the dragon justice. I even liked that elf from Lost!
    I thought it was really, really shit. By the time SPOILERS Smaug just did his stupid bond-villain thing and the dwarves jump from rope to rope to make a statue out of gold, I was pretty close to leaving the cinema. What a huge waste of money, time, and potential.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Somini, you are going through these films at an incredible rate!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    An for something completely different, Ran, AKA gender-swapped King Lear in Japan.
    Akira Kurosawa, etc
    It really is amazing, it manages to hold your attention even though it's 2h40 long and there are long stretches with no dialogue.
    Do the Japanese warriors really used those little flags on their backs? It looks really cool, and it makes it easy to tell the difference between the armies.
    Its not even his best film personally. I think people actually underestimate how brilliant Kurosawa is. He can and has done everything. There is nothing in his filmography as a director that is anything less than brilliant. I doubt a better director will come along anytime soon. Every time I see a film of his I haven't seen before, I wonder if it'll stand up to everything i've seen of his till that point and invariably it does. I don't know how he did it and i'll probably never ever understand but I sure am glad he made the films he did.

Personal favourites:

Yojimbo - bonus points for most awesome theme ever - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IHLoKZcwC0
    Seven Samurai
    Rashomon
    Kagemusha
    Throne of Blood
    Sanjuro - Yojimbo sequel
    Ikiru
    High and Low
    Last edited by khaz; 16-12-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    No love for The Hidden Fortress? It was the film that inspired Lucas, after all.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Somini - I think Iron Monkey was missing from the films recommended to you. It's a must watch if you're getting through martial arts films - stars Donnie Yen, directed by Yuen Woo Ping who made the first Drunken Master and went on to choreograph Crouching Tiger, The Matrix etc...

I also highly recommend The Twilight Samurai for a much slower change in pace, beautiful 'realistic' samurai movie. So good it won 12 Japanese Academy Awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Somini, you are going through these films at an incredible rate!
    Procrastination is the strongest force in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    No love for The Hidden Fortress? It was the film that inspired Lucas, after all.
    My rate is not that fast. Kurosawa's filmography is enormous, both in number of films and length. It's hard to reserve a 3h slot on a weekday.
    I have the same experience as khaz, on a smaller scale. How can he top this? And then he does.

Quote Originally Posted by sendmark View Post
    Somini - I think Iron Monkey was missing from the films recommended to you. It's a must watch if you're getting through martial arts films - stars Donnie Yen, directed by Yuen Woo Ping who made the first Drunken Master and went on to choreograph Crouching Tiger, The Matrix etc...

I also highly recommend The Twilight Samurai for a much slower change in pace, beautiful 'realistic' samurai movie. So good it won 12 Japanese Academy Awards.
    Iron Monkey has crossed my radar in this Chinese blitz. The Twilight Samurai is a new one, acknowledged.

@Kurosawa chat

I've loved nearly everything I've seen of his. High and Low is probably my favorite. There's something about his films that transcend both time and culture, as my wife & I have become big fans in recent years. A big reason why I love H&L is because it feels like three movies in one. You have to watch it to find out why, though, as I want to avoid spoilers. Let's just say that Kurosawa uses his acting ensemble to great effect.

So far, I think I've seen (excluding the above): Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Stray Dog, Throne of Blood, Hidden Fortress, Ikiru, The Bad Sleep Well, Ran, Kagemusha, and Rashomon. Still yet to see: Red Beard.

Any other recommendations for him? Honestly, Kagemusha is the only film that I felt unsatisfied with. If anyone is debating between spending the time to watch that or Ran, I'd say go with the latter. Plus, you get to see Kurosawa's vision in color.

It's interesting to watch Hidden Fortress already knowing that it inspired Lucas, as you can pick out the specific elements he later drew from. Yojimbo's theme truly is iconic, as said above. It really brings the main character to life, as if it's Toshiro Mifune's character in musical form. Speaking of Mifune, he became a fast favorite of mine after a flick or two, though Tatsuya Nakadai (the pistol-wielding antagonist from Yojimbo [and others]) is close behind.

And yeah, Twilight Samurai was pretty good for a new flick, too. Definitely a paced film, but worth the wait.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 17-12-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I did some reading and it turns out Kurosawa wrote the original script for the Japanese half of Tora! Tora! Tora! but his perfectionist ways and the american studios having no clue how to deal with him meant he left 3 weeks into production. Can you imagine what that film could have been?

See Kurosawa's early work from the 40s deadly. His breakthrouth - and Toshiro Mifune's - was Drunken Angel or Yoidore Tenshi.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Procrastination is the strongest force in the world.
    You're really bad at procrastinating if you're watching movies instead of browsing aimlessly through internet. :( I can't consider watching movies as waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    You're really bad at procrastinating if you're watching movies instead of browsing aimlessly through internet. :( I can't consider watching movies as waste of time.
    Thanks for the let down. I can't force myself to write my thesis nor can I procrastinate properly. Oh, the humanity!

Adding insult to injury, I wanted a popcorn flick so I watched Swordfish last night.
    I could write up all the stupid things going on, but I won't bother, it's not even worth it. The main character is called Stanley JOBSon. There is an Finnish "hacker" called Axl Torvalds. Apply palm to forehead.
    This is the same director of the "Gone in 60 Seconds" remake, that manages to be worse than the original, which consisted of some stuntman pretending they were acting and then car chases.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    The human claymore bit was cool.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    The human claymore bit was cool.
    Two years after the Matrix they have the chutzpah of presenting that weaksauce "bullet time" effect on theaters. In fact, the film would be much "better" (as is polio instead of Bubonic Plague) if they would just remove all the CGI shots.

Tai Chi Master is actually pretty weak. Not the fighting scenes, those are great.
    But the direction is all wrong. The music is too loud and overlaps the lines, the pacing is too damn fast for the dramatic scenes, the tone is all over the place. It's simply a series of masterfully choreographed fights strung together, not really a cohesive film.

That's two duds in a row. Get Kurosawa!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    The Twilight Samurai is a new one, acknowledged.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    Twilight Samurai was pretty good for a new flick, too. Definitely a paced film, but worth the wait.
    The Twilight Samurai is the first in a trilogy of excellent films including The Hidden Blade and Love and Honour by Yoji Yamada. Be aware that these are by no definition action films.

In other news, Snowpiercer shenanigans still a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by baby snot View Post
    Fucking enemies of culture. Our UK release is being held to ransom by the Weinsteins's NA cut too, right? So aggravating.

As far as wuxia/martial arts films are concerned, has anyone suggested Come Drink With Me yet? A classic that the Weinsteins threatened to remake some 5-6 years ago (and fortunately nothing has come of that).

Also One Armed Boxer 2 (aka Master of the Flying Guillotine) is a fantastic, really creative film and one of the best 'fighting tournament' films behind Enter the Dragon. Without giving anything away (although a Google search will spoil this anyway), certain parts of the movie were inspiration for certain parts of Street Fighter 2. No need to watch the first film to follow the plot, either.

Memoirs of a Geisha is still as awesome as ever. Amazing performances by all involved, mainly the kids. To think some of the cast couldn't speak English when they started filming. As always, Zhang Ziyi rocks.

Also, The Heroic Trio. Start out slow, but turns into what Charlie's Angels wanted to be. Much better than those lousy films, and this has true Rouge Angles of Satin: Anita Mui, Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Cheung. The action is great, the humour is very funny, and as a bonus we get light body horror and a enormous amount of babies flying through the air.

The Heroic Trio II AKA Executioners is even better! It's much Darker and Edgier, but everyone that complained about the plot not making sense was probably distracted by the sexy. It's actually very intricate, with a massive Gambit Pileup.
    The bad guy is a disfigured Casanova, the Dragon is General Custer, the Trio is actually heroic from the get go, (not just) love interests are killed off.
    Just another day in the life of Wonder Woman, Invisible Girl (That's not really invisible anymore) and Thief Catcher. Downright amazing, I fully recommend this film. Make sure you're not allergic to cheese though.

Okay Heroic Trio 1 and 2 are going on my list. (Quite aside from anything else, I'm always interested in a bit of body horror.)

Thanks to Somini et al in this thread I've accrued a stockpile of wuxia and Kurosawa films to see (several for the first time) over the chrismtas break...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Let me finish work in about 90 minutes and i'll add on the ultimate martial arts chorgeography fests on top of those which put anything you've seen in those wuxia films to shame. :)