Lesser Hivemind Node

Power Supply/Monitor Interference

To setup some background, I use a laptop with a separate monitor attached (salvaged off some long-dead PC). Until now, I have never had any issues with the two, other than Windows occasionally deciding to forget one display or the other.

However, after returning from being away for a few days, I plugged my laptop back in and attached the monitor only to find the monitor suffering from some sort of interference. A bit of google-fu, cable waving and plug-unplugging has revealed that the laptop power supply is apparently the cause of the issue - unplugging the power supply from the laptop removes the issue (note that the mains power is still on at this point). I've no idea where this has come from - as I said, the two have lived happily together for years now.

The obvious solution would be for me to dig out another power supply, but I'm not too eager to spend the money to buy one only to find out the issue isn't solved. Is there any other likely explanation, e.g. dodgy electrical supply in this flat?

Edit: Going by the buzzing the power supply is now giving out, I think it's pretty certain what the cause is...
    Last edited by Danny252; 31-10-2011 at 05:28 PM.

CRT monitor?

My speaker wire caused a similar problem. Try bending the wire in a different route.

If NOT a CRT then I think a replacement would definitely not hurt!

I have the same issue (I think) with my desktop and cheap monitor. I get a ghost outline of everything on occasion and its no fun to look at. Generally just poking at the wire will fix it, which is an ok solution for me. From what I read it seems like this issue has to do with the cord being used not actually being the right type, but I'm not sure if thats the same issue you are having.