Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar

Saints Row: The Third: The Demo: The Thread

IGN/Gamespot is offering steam keys for the PC demo. Downloading now, file size is 982 MB. Woot.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    It's not a demo, it's the Initiation Station, which is a character creator. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    It's not a demo, it's the Initiation Station, which is a character creator. That's it.
    oops my bad. Did seem kind of small.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Still, it's good for a laugh or two. And to see the art style in action. SR2 always looked a bit washed out, so I'm a fan of the bold colours of the new look.

I spent about an hour with it, the jiggle physics on the "attractiveness" slider is humorous, as well as the various emotes and how they change with each voice choice.

Here's my smexy ghetto vamp.

Bunny slippers ftw.
    Last edited by DigitalSignalX; 31-10-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Is it only on consoles in the UK since the retailers have bullied THQ into not putting SR3 on Steam over here?

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    IGN/Gamespot is offering steam keys for the PC demo
    Got a link?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

I'm annoyed that I don't have the tools I need to make the Tech Noir Terminator.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    I'm annoyed that I don't have the tools I need to make the Tech Noir Terminator.
    Challenge accepted.. spent 10 minutes: should make the hair a lighter color.. oh well.

Tempting! I'm not likely to play the game any time soon, but the character creator was one of the best parts of SR2. Can't be stuffed with the download at the moment, but if you feel like continuing to post pictures, you've got an audience :)

Just had a play around with it. My thoughts are conflicting. Just to make it clear, I made a female character.

Pros:
    - It actually looks quite good. Not perfect, but this is only a demo with no graphics options beyond resolution, so it could look really good in its final form.
    - Some of the items are pretty inventive.
    - The taunts/compliments, are, largely genius. I noticed the Carlton dance, Wyld Stallyns and a couple of others, so there's bound to be some I don't get that others will.
    - Models/animations look to be a bit better than they were in Saints Row 2, although not massively so.
    - Most of the physics seem fine. Earrings and hair react to movement and clothing (If you have long hair, and put on a high-collar shirt, the hair will react to it). If your character has large breasts and she chest pounds, her breasts will also react.
    - Heeled boots actually make your character taller!
    - Female 1 voice set sounds pretty cool. I doubt it's Jennifer Hale, but it sounds a little like her.

Cons:
    - So many damned sliders. Good characters aren't hard to make, but there's just so many sliders!
    - Characters move when you're adjusting some of the sliders.
    - A lot of the clothes are, frankly, what I'd call rubbish especially when coloured. Some look "realistic" in how they fit, others don't.
    - No adjustable jiggle physics. I think Volition want to give the female character a bad back. Sorry guys, but ladies with small breasts ain't gonna be jiggling that much.
    - Lack of some clothing items. There's many variations of some items, but others are lacking. There's, for example, no sports bras for the female character.
    - Body slider = crap. I think it would have worked better as a set of sliders. Hip width, weight, etc. There's also no height selection, which kinda sucks. A lot of the extremes looked a bit silly.
    - Sex appeal and age sliders = weird. The bottom line for age should have been about 18, in my opinion. But the sex appeal one was the weirdest. Apparently flat chests mean no sex appeal (I strongly disagree). It also reacted weirdly to body types, giving some really, really odd shaped breasts, especially at the higher end of the scale.
    - Stuttery performance. Might have just been me, but it seemed to stutter a little from time to time.

That's all I can think of for now. Overall it's done little to change my excitement for SR3, mostly because I'm concerned about THQ and their approach to DLC, but I did get a few laughs out of it.

Oh, and here's my character:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Not sure if I'm going to buy the actual game( it's a bit too silly for me, I think), but character generator looks interesting and fun, will probably try it out.

Is the full range of clothing/itemisation available on the editor?
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    I don't know, but there's a lot of options, so I would assume so. There might be items you can only buy in stores, though.

Oh, I could've just looked a bit more to the right of the webpage.

Access to the full character customization tool, including a wardrobe with everything from furry suits to nipple tassels.
    Installing now.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    Challenge accepted.. spent 10 minutes: should make the hair a lighter color.. oh well.

I came up with something close to that. It's just not right without the punk jacket. And it sucks that the pants have to be skin tight for the boots to overlap them.

I made Jackie Brown (the stylish black suit version). I'll probably use that when I play the game.

http://www.saintsrow.com/community/c...89321727279004

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    Actually although the text you quoted below certainly implies it, the developers reckon it contains only 80% of the full range of clothing.

My own views on the creator are that the character creation is really good. I miss being able to create somebody kind of grotesque (my Saints Row 2 character looking pretty rough and it was so much fun seeing her in the cutscenes - and listening to my friend laughing with his imagination of how the cutscene looked with her in it) but that is a relatively minor quibble.

The clothing does feel a little simplified - ie you cn't choose an undershirt and overshirt, you just choose the clothing item - if this has an undershirt then so be it. Eg some of the long jackets can only be worn with specific shirts underneath - so it does reduce customisation a little. But to me at least this feels relatively minor - I can definitely design a charatcer with which I would enjoy playing, and though said character may not necessarily have the undershirt I would like, I don't see this as a big deal really (though there are tens of pages of angry people on the Saints Row forum complaining about this and thinking of cancelling their pre-orders).

Essentially, so long as I can customise my character in a way which will make the game more pleasing, then I'm fine with it. And yes, the 'body physics' are a little over the top, but I though it was kind of funny.

On a related note UnravThreads - I think the 'sex appeal' slider is a little tongue in cheek; for sure it is not necessarily true that bigger tits = more attractive, and I suspect they were probably a little hesitant to simply call the slider "Tit / Cock-and-Balls Size"

Quote Originally Posted by cowthief skank View Post
    On a related note UnravThreads - I think the 'sex appeal' slider is a little tongue in cheek; for sure it is not necessarily true that bigger tits = more attractive, and I suspect they were probably a little hesitant to simply call the slider "Tit / Cock-and-Balls Size"
    Oh, I understand that, I just think it's a bit... You know. I think breasts (And male genitals, I suppose) should have their own slider, and sex appeal should be more of a stat.