nVidia to ATI - anything I should know?

I'm planning to upgrade my longisg in the toothish nVidia graphics card to a bright and shiney new Radeon 6870.

I was wondering what I need to do to fully remove nVidia drivers and replace them with ATIs driverd. My concern being that GPU drivers dig their tendril deep in the OS like some Lovecraftian abomination and I'm going to have issues down the line. I use my PC for dev stuff so I'd rather not just nuke Windows from orbit.

So what is the approved way of doing this or am I stressing about nothing?

Uninstall NVIDIA drivers | shut down | replace cards | power up | install latest Catalyst drivers | restart | install HDMI audio drivers | restart |. Sorted.

Activated Node
    Leave the nVidia drivers installed, put in the ATi card and install its drivers and slowly watch as the nVidlings get decimated in their last fight for survival. You still might wanna backup things externally as wars tend to destroy the environment.
    Alternatively you might just be "stressing about nothing".

Network Hub
    If you want to be sure you can run Driver Sweeper to remove all traces of the old drivers.

Do the following:

Go to my computer properties > device manager > right click your card and uninstall it (also remove drivers when asked) > reboot to safe mode and use Driver Sweeper to removed all ATI drivers > physically replace the card > boot windows in normal mode and install new drivers > play BF3 > shoot people in the face > go to bed

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    I really like my 6870, had it for about 9 months now. Only big issue has been with Rage, which is still wonky despite all my best efforts (including pre-release v3 and various config files). Also for some reason games will often auto detect at a lower setting, when it can easily handle max everything. Those aside, no other complaints. ATI drivers have worked great in everything else, heat and power issues are nominal with a 10% overclock.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Don't bother to play Rage. The latest drivers turn all the textures blue.

AMD driver support isn't the best but apart from that, it is a good card. However, after all the hassles recently, I will be moving to nVidia when I next get to upgrading my card.

Edit: Sorry mate, wasn't very helpful. Just struggled for the last few hours before writing this post trying to get Rage to run properly so was a bit frustrated.

It is an very good card that runs games well (apart from Rage, haha). Very easy install process as was outlined above. Enjoy.
    Last edited by JiminyJickers; 04-11-2011 at 10:12 AM.

I was worried about the same thing a year ago and I was amazed at how painless it was. Simple uninstall old/install new.

Of course, if it breaks don't blame me, please.

Not a lot of stuff uses OpenGL lately, but I'm not sure if that's a cause or a consequence of the utterly terrible OpenGL support in the AMD graphics drivers.

Might be worth bearing in mind (although not too much as not a lot.. ok, we're back to the beginning)

Definitely run driver sweeper in safe mode at every new driver install.

Also, ATI have been borking up a lot of driver updates lately: if you don't mind fiddling a bit before getting the latest games to work, go ATI.