Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    The real thing preventing me from doing this is the ridiculous data caps on my ISP. Backing up my PC to the cloud will get me throttled.
    You needn't upload all of your files, and you needn't upload all at once, either. It's worth pointing out that the broader principle behind backing up doesn't require a cloud service; the important thing is to have copies of your important/precious data somewhere offsite (i.e. at some physical location other than your house/building).

This could be some cloud servers somewhere or it could be discs at a friend's place or hard drives in a safe deposit box or whatever. Obviously you lose the utility of being able to back stuff up the instant you get/modify it... but the point here is if you only have important data at one location (regardless of how many places it's copied within said location) then said data is vulnerable. How conscionable this vulnerability is depends on the data's importance, ofc...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I haven't used it, but i think Crashplan allows you to backup to a friend's PC for free. (should be encrypted).
    So if you have friends/family with PCs and decent hard drives then you can cross backup to each other.

I guess I should do something. Right now I just have a usb drive for local backups.

For passwords I use sugarsync + keepass. That way I can access my passwords from my android phone if needed.

You can always just buy an external hard drive, make it encrypted with TrueCrypt and then ask a friend to store it in their closet if your ISP has ridiculous data caps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    You can always just buy an external hard drive, make it encrypted with TrueCrypt and then ask a friend to store it in their closet if your ISP has ridiculous data caps.
    Terrible plan and almost totally pointless as a primary backup solution.

Unless you're planning to rotate the drive between home (for backups) and offsite (for safety) with great frequency, all you'll end-up with is a very out-of-date backup - cloud backup is the ONLY real way to protect your work properly, you just have to use it wisely.

Crashplan does allow remote 'friend' backup - I've not used it but it's there and it's in the 'free' version too. I pay for the Pro Unlimited service with Crashplan and have about 22Gb backed-up there at any given time (took days to sync initially but most changes now are quite small).
    Last edited by trjp; 01-04-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just to outline my own backup plan in-case you're curious.

All my "work" is stored in Dropbox and so backed-up in the cloud constantly and mirrored across all my PCs. I use 'free' Dropbox but have over 60Gb of space on there (using about 12Gb of it)

All my work plus things like source-code-control files (which you MUST NOT put into Dropbox) plus all the user directories (game saves!!) are backed-up with Crashplan from my main PC only - I only run that once-per-hour.

My system partitions are all backed-up to a local NAS using Macrium Reflect about once a month. Once those are run, I rotate the HDD (I ahve 3 in total) between my desk, the fire safe downstairs and her-indoors Granparents house (closest relative).

When I had an HDD failure back in February I lost nothing - although I have to admit it took me a good 3 hours to work-out exactly where the best place to get all the files back from was!! :)

Spoilt for choice > Screwed
    Last edited by trjp; 01-04-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Obscure Node
    I use SugarSync for the main reason it allows you to right click a folder and keep it's location across multiple computers instead of having to use a special folder for sharing. So when I install a game on another pc and login to SugarSync everything is already setup.

Obscure Node

Cloud backup solutions

Avandrive provides the most innovative cloud backup and storage services with the maximum security to ensure that data will never be lost after possible computer damages, viruses or any other type of threat.

Avandrive Backup protects all personal computer files by keeping a copy safely online, in the cloud. The backup storage from the cloud is unlimited. Data is transferred and stored using 256-bit AES encryption with a user-defined key that is not stored anywhere on the servers. This ensures that data is safe and secure.
    Avandrive Storage is the user's private internet cloud drive where data can be stored easier, more efficient and secured. The Avandrive cloud storage drive provides access, sharing and protection of all types of digital information from any computer, mobile phone or tablet.
    Avandrive also provides a professional cloud storage solution for all businesses and a complete control over the company's files and an outstanding support system.

Avandrive offers a full range of revolutionary cloud services for home and business users, at very competitive prices. More details on the link: http://goo.gl/xH95mV