Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Network Hub
    Gal Civ 2 is so much better than sots, really don't get why it isn't more popular.
    Some mysterious failure of marketing or whatever.

I don't think one is better than the other. I love them both but each has a different focus.
    I also think that having multiplayer has something to do with sots being more popular.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I love them both but each has a different focus.
    Yeah, one is a game, the other is a graphical frontend for Excel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    Gal Civ 2 is so much better than sots, really don't get why it isn't more popular.
    Well, GC2 is older, for one, and it's an empire mangement game instead of a space conquest game, so the focus is extremely different. I like both a great deal, myself, but I haven't played GC2 in ages because Stardock never properly patched up the last expansion (early indicators of a dark future, I suppose). SotS 1.8 is pretty much solid as a rock, GC2: ToA with the last patch is kind of a mess (the AI doesn't really know how to play it, for example).

With ToA never having been polished and Sins being deep as a rain puddle I gave up on Stardock just in time to miss the Demigod and Elemental fiascos, so I guess that worked out ok.

If what you're looking for is empire management, by the way, Distant Worlds and Armada 2526 are both worth a look.
    Last edited by vinraith; 02-11-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    I never understood this attitude. You prefer GalCiv. Great! It's a fantastic game. You know lots of good folk also really like SotS. I am pleased to live in a world in which I can play both. There's a world of difference between "this is not very good" and "I don't like this", yet they always seem to get conflated in people's heads. Perhaps I am merely misreading your gently hyperbolic flippancy.

Zuul fighting tip: it's important to keep taking out those C&C ships to prevent being overwhelmed, but this can be tricky, because unlike everything else the Zuul make C&C sections are quite well armoured. However, the front and rear sections are still made of cardboard and aluminium foil, so target one then the other to take them out almost as easily as any other Zuul ship.

Sots:is an above average on all fronts,but no real strengths.I personally found it quite dry/slow/grey.

Sins :is a very pretty Space RTS,with rpg like leveling capital ships.Good for Mp.No singleplayer campaign,only skirmish vs mp or ai.Nothing you will play for Months to come but well done fun.

If your Focus is Singleplayer i would recommend:

Master of Orion 2 (*The* Classic 4x,mp is probably dead?),turnbased,good Tech tree,a mustplay,needs some fiddling,should be pretty cheap by now.

Distant Worlds ,singleplayer *only*,Realtime,not for micromanagers because way too much is goin on all the time.Very alive Universe with Pirate Bases,Space Monsters,Space ship graveyards and so on.Nice Economy.

Galactic Civilizations 2: very dumbed down,err streamlined Combat, but everything else is quite enjoyable,nice diplomacy,fluid gameplay.

Space Empires 4 (maybe 5 if you hate 2d Graphics) ,Turnbased,gigantic Research Tree,has lots of stuff, from planetkillers over PSi weapons to Ringworlds.Ai not very clever.Can be slow/dry at times.Best with mods (the "Balanced mod" if i remember correctly)
    Space Empires 5 *NEEDS* Directx 7 or below ,which means Windows xp, or it will be unplayable slow.No idea if SE4 runs smooth on win 7.
    Last edited by Arona Daal; 09-11-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Anybody remember Ascendancy?

No? Okay.
    to wound the autumnal city.

This seems as likely a place as any to post this. I recently bought the SOTS complete pack which I haven't got around to downloading yet however I've received a free key from Paradox that can be used to get the base game of SOTS from Gamersgate. Would anyone like it?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Arona Daal View Post
    Space Empires 4 (maybe 5 if you hate 2d Graphics) ,Turnbased,gigantic Research Tree,has lots of stuff, from planetkillers over PSi weapons to Ringworlds.Ai not very clever.Can be slow/dry at times.Best with mods (the "Balanced mod" if i remember correctly)
    Space Empires 5 *NEEDS* Directx 7 or below ,which means Windows xp, or it will be unplayable slow.No idea if SE4 runs smooth on win 7.
    SE4 works fine on windows 7.

I want to love the SE games but the AI is practically non existent, only capable of using a handful of its thousands of toys.

SotS is to GalCiv2 what Medieval Total War is to Europa Universalis. Both great though I can't get into them at the moment, I have some sort of 4x block.

Distant Worlds is interesting, better with its new addon, although the non-interactive civilian side of things seems like a pointless waste of computer resources to me.

Sins isn't a 4x game.

I'm ashamed to admit it but I have never played MoO2, I got into 4x space games with Fragile Allegiance, which was brilliant and I followed MoO3 from the beginning to its disappointing end.

I brought Star Ruler when it was released unfinished and I have yet to try it since it was apparently completed.

Lastly, still can't go 100 turns without SotS2 whigging out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Anybody remember Ascendancy?

No? Okay.
    Yes, actually. Once I got into a situation where I lost my first ships down a hyperspace route - those little rodent buggers that can reset your progress every 80 days got the thing caught in an infinite loop - the lane was so long that 80 days of progress only got them a fair way along, and then they'd need to start again, and you couldn't give ships in hyperspace orders, so they just tried to finish their journey forever.

I restarted shortly afterwards.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Yes, actually. Once I got into a situation where I lost my first ships down a hyperspace route - those little rodent buggers that can reset your progress every 80 days got the thing caught in an infinite loop - the lane was so long that 80 days of progress only got them a fair way along, and then they'd need to start again, and you couldn't give ships in hyperspace orders, so they just tried to finish their journey forever.

I restarted shortly afterwards.
    Hell yes, I think i have the CD of this somewhere. Played this and MOO2 all the time.

http://www.logicfactory.com/main/Logic_Factory.html

Ascendancy is now out for iOS devices. Sadly I am awaiting an Android port of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongshui View Post

I'm ashamed to admit it but I have never played MoO2, I got into 4x space games with Fragile Allegiance, which was brilliant and I followed MoO3 from the beginning to its disappointing end.
    Never played MoO2? Hang your head IN SHAME!

I really tried (and I mean REALLY tried) to love MoO3. I remember reading through the developer blogs and thinking, "Wow, this is really gritty. What's Casus Belli mean?" and all that. But ultimately, it was a huge huge disappointment.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I remember enjoying Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain a lot back in the day. I think that was my introduction to scifi 4xs. That and SMAC.