Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Against the Wall. Stumbled across this on Kickstarter, looks interesting.

I found this while looking through Kickstarters new projects. I think it looks really interesting, and thought everyone over here at RPS might be interested as well.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nst-the-wall-0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Ham fisted viral marketing?

Great aesthetic, nice concept.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Interesting concept, but I hate Kickstarter. The hipster vibes it gives off makes my teeth ache.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I know, joining and then this being my first post does look pretty suspect, but I am actually a real person, unrelated to anyone making the game, honest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Then tell us a bit about yourself, Real Person.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I don't suppose anyone'd believe me if I said longtime lurker, etc etc. But look! I've got real things in my sig now! I'm real!

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    uh oh. Shits getting real now. Game does look interesting though.

All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Dear developer, please show the game within the first second of your game, i dont care what you look like but i have the attention sp...

Look a butterfly!

Also, the ring in the character's hand has made me decide this is a sonic the hedgehog fan project.

also

http://xkcd.com/417/

the butterfly is back!

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Dear developer, please show the game within the first second of your game, i dont care what you look like but i have the attention sp...

Look a butterfly!
    Yeah. I think for most people, you have about five milliseconds to get them interested. If you aren't presenting people with something along the lines of two pictures and three short sentences as the very first thing they see, you need to rethink your approach.

Hook first, long rambling video after. It's like the activation energy of an endothermic reaction. You need that initial surge to get 'em to a higher level of interest.

It's also slightly worrying when you can't or won't clearly describe the basic gameplay.

Starfarer is my favorite recent example of how I want to be sold a game, particularly one that's still in development. It's not the prettiest site, but they're presenting exactly the right information. Screenshots, informative text (look at all those tasty keywords in the very first sentence), then the video just underneath, and scroll down for even more information. Simple.
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 31-10-2011 at 11:25 PM.

hell, the wall based world was a dream I had, so I will be buying it if it ever releases a playable version.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Starfarer is my favorite recent example of how I want to be sold a game, particularly one that's still in development. It's not the prettiest site, but they're presenting exactly the right information. Screenshots, informative text (look at all those tasty keywords in the very first sentence), then the video just underneath, and scroll down for even more information. Simple.
    That looks quite fun for a real-time game.

Network Hub
    I have a tendency to be terrified by wide, open spaces in video games, so this one made me pretty tense. I ctrl-tabbed to a different browser tab though, and it froze.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    That looks quite fun for a real-time game.
    You should know that metacritic translates that into a 10

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    I'm intrigued by the concept, but yeah, haven't used Kickstarted before and this hasn't convinced me to start now.

Might try the alpha later, but at the very least I'll keep it on the radar.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Quote Originally Posted by disill View Post
    I don't suppose anyone'd believe me if I said longtime lurker, etc etc. But look! I've got real things in my sig now! I'm real!
    The developer of that game is also real. Also those steam and last.fm profiles can also belong to the developer. i.e probably you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    If he was the developer, why wouldn't he just come out and say it? The game looks interesting enough, no reason to give the man the third degree for wanting to share it.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    hell, the wall based world was a dream I had, so I will be buying it if it ever releases a playable version.
    I once had a floor and wall based dream. It was a PvP or Co-op where the whole level was a two equal sized, walled mazes placed on a carefully balanced fulcrum. Each player in first person view had to navigate the maze, and as one player got closer to an objective, it would tilt the floor in their favor, and re-arrange the walls for his opponent as they slid some down the losing side. But the opponent could make up for it by either using some special skills or side-quests that take you from your objective but slow down your opponent / level the field some.

I can't recall if I'd been drinking or not, and someone makes this game, I want 5% of the net profit :P
    Last edited by DigitalSignalX; 01-11-2011 at 05:01 AM.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    You literally dream up game designs?

Must be in the genes. My dreams are all a bunch of random nonsense.