Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar

Angry Birds Downloads Pass Half-Billion Mark

Re-posting from Slashdot:

"The most popular mobile game in history now has been downloaded more than 500,000,000 times, according to maker Rovio Mobile. Good thing the 300 million minutes of Angry Birds daily playing time around the world aren't being wasted or anything. Rovio chief executive Mikael Hed says: 'This is a fantastic landmark achievement for us, and we’re extremely delighted to see such an incredible amount of people enjoying our games. We remain committed to creating more fun experiences and bringing exceptional quality to Angry Birds Fans everywhere.'"
    Personally I dislike portable gaming, but it might be because I own a blackberry and I honestly don't mind waiting in lines or just staring at people and the world for short periods. I also just pack a book for those occasions (airports etc) where I'll know I'll need something to do. But 500 mil is still impressive.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    So, what's that in sales? It's got to be a good couple of million at least.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Wiki claims

Rovio receives approximately US$1 million per month in revenue from the advertising that appears in the free Android version.[2]
    But that's got to be a drop in the bucket considering the dozens of various variations in platform ports, sequels, spin-offs etc.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    I also just pack a book for those occasions (airports etc) where I'll know I'll need something to do. But 500 mil is still impressive.
    Same. I downloaded Angry Birds (Android) because it was free and I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. It's like Crush the Castle, but with birds. That's it. I've barely played it, because I'd rather read a book than play Crush the Castle, and I'd rather play CtC than Angry Birds.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    But that's got to be a drop in the bucket considering the dozens of various variations in platform ports, sequels, spin-offs etc.
    Yeah but they have to invest in order to make those, so idunno.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

How long before a movie deal where some big hollywood director gives Angry Birds the cinematic treatment it so richly deserves in a legitimate medium?
    "A victory so bitter it would be better we had not won," --General Transh

The Devpit: For all your literature, gaming, IT and defenestration needs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrea View Post
    How long before a movie deal where some big hollywood director gives Angry Birds the cinematic treatment it so richly deserves in a legitimate medium?
    I think we need a Book Deal first, then we can have "the movie of the book of the game".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrea View Post
    Actually, I think there's plans for at least a TV series or something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Actually, I think there's plans for at least a TV series or something.
    If you have a TV series you can introduce new ranges of characters easily, but remember to remind the watcher that the old junk is redundant now.,

I played it briefly. I can see why it's taken off (sorry) but to me I couldn't think much other than "so it's just another lobbing stuff at other stuff game".
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.