Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar

New Vegas Ultimate Edition - Feb '12

Source.

All six DLC packs (4 story packs, two item/gameplay packs).

Awesome!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Now that's why I often hesitate to buy singleplayer games at launch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Woohoo! Still haven't bought the game yet, and it seems my waiting has finally paid off. I'll just play some KotOR 2 in the meantime.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Coincidentally, I uninstalled Vegas yesterday. Kept the player savegames for my 2 play-throughs for the heck of it. Superb game, highly reccomend if anyone has been waiting to get it.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    Coincidentally, I uninstalled Vegas yesterday. Kept the player savegames for my 2 play-throughs for the heck of it. Superb game, highly reccomend if anyone has been waiting to get it.
    Thing is, that if my information is correct this game requires online activation?

But I'm sure if that's so, there must be cracks circulated on web.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Thing is, that if my information is correct this game requires online activation?

It's a Steamworks title.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post

Isn't New Vegas Steamworks DRM? This is what I remember.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think I'll wait for next year's Christmas sale and get it then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Wasn't the DRM removed for the Fallout 3 collection? Maybe they'll do the same thing here.

Activated Node
    I got New Vegas about 6 months ago from a retailer for about €15, then bought the first 3 DLC's on steam sale at €3-3-5 respectively, only missing Lonesome road really. Fallout 3 GOTY is still €30 on steam, and I doubt the Ultimate New Vegas will be lower than that. So I haven't really spent much more than I would have getting the game before it came out :) (Betting Lonesome Road will be €5 in the christmas sale).

Still, it's a really good game. If you haven't played it yet I strongly recommend picking up that edition when it comes out.

Also, unlike FO3 GOTY New Vegas doesn't have any G4WL crap, so you won't have to deal with that.
    Last edited by Bristoff; 03-11-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Wasn't the DRM removed for the Fallout 3 collection? Maybe they'll do the same thing here.
    Nope. It still uses SecuROM and GfWL.

I'm not a huge Fallout fan, but I played Fallout 3 recently and thought it was decent enough.

Is New Vegas more of the same or is it different in any significant way?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I'm not a huge Fallout fan, but I played Fallout 3 recently and thought it was decent enough.

The main storyline is much better, and the game points you in the direction of the story most of the time. Not in any annoying or pushy way, they just learned from their mistake in FO3 where the main story definitely was the low point of the game. The skills have been overhauled, and from my point of view it ended up better than FO3 where some skills were useless or split into various things for no obvious reason.

It does feel a bit more linear than FO3, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. At least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristoff View Post
    they just learned from their mistake in FO3 where the main story definitely was the low point of the game.
    They? It's a different developer with a different writing team.

I'd actually disagree and say I found New Vegas' story perhaps a bit complex and almost directionless. It also falls into the trap, at least if you go against the Legion, of putting you into a bit of a daft final boss fight. Fallout 3's story, especially post-DLC, wasn't ever really the main focus. It was there, sure, and you were guided towards it, but it was never hanging over you too much.

I mean FO3 vs New Vegas is really hard for me, because I loved both, but for different reasons. I loved the "simplicity" of Fallout 3, I guess. I loved going where I wanted, finding new areas that were really diverse, I loved kicking arse with my plasma rifle and Reilly's Ranger armour, and I never got that in New Vegas. I thought it was fairly well balanced, plus it had... I wouldn't say a charm, but I thought it was a great entry point into the series.

In New Vegas, I loved just wandering and seeing what I could find, plus there were a lot of smaller quests around. I found the game unbalanced, though, and it can really screw you over. Deathclaws are now pretty much walking instant-death monsters (Not always a bad thing, I'll admit), and I think the Legion Assassins are just annoying and really take away from the game for me. It also throws way too many items at you that are similar. There's a billion and one pistols, there's eight thousand shotguns (Obviously I'm exaggerating), there's tonnes of rifles. It seems complex for the sake of it, not because it balances the game.

New Vegas is better for a deeper experience, but I think Fallout 3 for me was just more fun 'n' stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Same UI and general gameplay, but Obsidian did the story and I, for one, find that to make a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    I'd actually disagree and say I found New Vegas' story perhaps a bit complex and almost directionless.
    Directionless? There's a war, and there's three distinct sides. Pick a side, or no side at all. That's it.
    Last edited by Nalano; 03-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Directionless? There's a war, and there's three distinct sides. Pick a side, or no side at all. That's it.
    Wild Cards was annoying as hell. I wanted to go NCR, yet for some reason the game decided I was actually more interested in Mr House, and kept sending me everywhere. It should have been three separate quest lines (i.e. one per faction), not some irritating conglomeration.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I'll agree about being somewhat overwhelmed by the number of items. The big problem for me is that although there are seemingly a million different items to be found, the game can be really finicky about what items match up for repair purposes (even with the Jury Rig perk). For example, what items can be used to repair SPOILER Joshua Graham's armor END SPOILER ? The only items I've found are really rare in their own right, making it prohibitively expensive to keep this armor in repair.

Also, the DLC that adds in all of the pre-order stuff? They might as well have just given you more caps, because burdening a character with pounds upon pounds of largely average items right at the beginning of the game is just hastening the inevitable realization that the game should really have been called Inventory Management Tycoon.

Activated Node
    Wild Cards was annoying as hell. I wanted to go NCR, yet for some reason the game decided I was actually more interested in Mr House, and kept sending me everywhere. It should have been three separate quest lines (i.e. one per faction), not some irritating conglomeration.
    Wild cards wasn't bad for me as by that point I'd already explored (and finished) most of the related areas and quests, so it didn't take too long, but I agree they weren't the best part of the game. I still felt it was a much better experience than FO3, but I really wish they would make a DLC that extended the main storyline, as they did with Broken Steel for the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    For example, what items can be used to repair SPOILER Joshua Graham's armor END SPOILER ? The only items I've found are really rare in their own right, making it prohibitively expensive to keep this armor in repair.
    Really? It's easy. I think Merc armour can be used with Jury Rigging.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Also, the DLC that adds in all of the pre-order stuff? They might as well have just given you more caps, because burdening a character with pounds upon pounds of largely average items right at the beginning of the game is just hastening the inevitable realization that the game should really have been called Inventory Management Tycoon.
    I think you choose which pack you start with, not all four. You only get all four - I think - if you load up an existing character.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Really? It's easy. I think Merc armour can be used with Jury Rigging.
    Maybe I just didn't play enough after completing Honest Hearts (I didn't have much left to do in the Mojave with that character by the time the DLC came out), and Old World Blues featured a lot of equipment adjustment. I do know that the Marked Ones' armor in Lonesome Road did not count for repairing it, which annoyed me (although the General's Suit you can find did). Well, what can repair the Stealth suit from Old World Blues?