Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar

Wot's the playability? Freelancer

I've only fairly recently stumbled into space sims via Freespace 2 and X3, but I'm looking for one that pushes all the right buttons. X3 is so close to activating the pleasure nodes, but it's too fiddly for my tastes. Dark Horizon, Black Prophecy, et al look fantastic but don't appear to offer enough meat to sink one's teeth. I've noticed Freelancer is accepted as the end-all-be-all in this area and I'm curious what makes it so. I've watched a handful of minutes of an LP, which equated to wonky cutscenes and awesomely bad voice acting, but not much by way of surviving in space (likely won't get there without watching an hour or so, I'd imagine).

Anyone have stories? I like stories.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Freelancer was a good enough game I suppose, but as a space sim I prefer Freespace 2 by a good margin.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Freelancer is... what? Freelancer is not really about "surviving in space." You basically have your story, and you can go on side missions (or stop to trade a bit, to get money to buy better things) but it's not Oblivion in space or anything. X3 is definitely the be all end all of that kind of thing.

But you should Play I-War 2!

Also, check out this thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Freelancer is... what? Freelancer is not really about "surviving in space." You basically have your story, and you can go on side missions (or stop to trade a bit, to get money to buy better things) but it's not Oblivion in space or anything. X3 is definitely the be all end all of that kind of thing.
    I could be confusing what I've heard about Freelancer with something else, then. Very real possibility.
    steam

Obscure Node
    Freelancer is alright game but it has some problems. The one thing the game does do very well is exploration. There's a huge universe out there and you can explore all kinds of interesting locations. Find secret pirate bases deep in some ice field or a wormhole surrounded by a radioactive cloud that takes you half way across the universe. There's wrecks to find that have unique and powerful weapons. The main issue I have with the game is once you get the "best" ship in the game fitted with the "best" weapons, there's nothing to do with it. There's no station building, no empires, you can't infleunce the game world in any way with your uber ship which makes the end game meaningless. The journey is fun but once you're at the end, you're done with the game.

My advice is, if you're looking for space action shooty goodness, grab Freespace 2 and the Freespace Open Source Project. It's generally regarded as the best space shooter ever made and I will completely endorse that claim.

If you're looking for something with a bit more depth to it than Freelancer, grab Independence War 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I found Freelancer impossibly, absurdly difficult and I've never been able to figure out why. Most people don't seem to have this problem, and I've never had trouble with other space shooters of this stripe. I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, but ultimately I could never make it much past the "American" Sector of the game.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    Anyone have stories? I like stories.
    For a long time I've been an armchair Eve Online enthusiast so to speak, having never played more than an hour or so of the game. The various community forums, screenshot/video sites and blogs are full of interesting stories revolving around various combat events, politics, subterfuge and endless drama. I've often said that Eve is probably more fun to read about then actually play.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    I've often said that Eve is probably more fun to read about then actually play.
    I'm entirely certain that's true. Most the game play seems to be pure drudgery, but the stories that game generates are spectacular.

I really love Freelancer, it has a special place in my gaming memories. I keep meaning to come back to it and try a few mods out but I always get distracted (also I'd have to fish around in my attic to find the disc).

Part of the reason I like it is the atmosphere. It feels like I'm in space. The ambient non-combat music is spot-on and really helps set the scene (I'm re-listening to it on youtube now!). As Gergin says, the exploration is one of the main draws (for me anyway) and the combat, while a bit too frequent and repetitive, is simple enough to get to grips with. Part of the reason I bought it way back when was that I didn't need a joystick to play it: the mouse and keyboard based controls are excellent. I really liked the story in the game too.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    For a long time I've been an armchair Eve Online enthusiast so to speak, having never played more than an hour or so of the game. The various community forums, screenshot/video sites and blogs are full of interesting stories revolving around various combat events, politics, subterfuge and endless drama. I've often said that Eve is probably more fun to read about then actually play.
    It really can be that way, yes. I always played it for the people, rather than the actual game.

(Hence why I skulk around on my alliance's forums with 2 inactive accounts...)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I found Freelancer impossibly, absurdly difficult and I've never been able to figure out why. Most people don't seem to have this problem, and I've never had trouble with other space shooters of this stripe. I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, but ultimately I could never make it much past the "American" Sector of the game.
    Mission 3, right? Since you can pick up where you left off with the story missions at any time, it's usually wise to take a few more jobs on the side to outfit your ship, especially with nanobots and shield batteries which are basically the instant health potions of space.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I didn't play all that much Freelancer- it didn't click with me, and never felt very physical- but do remember the point at which I lost interest was a fairly hefty difficulty spike. I felt like, even though I was with several other ships, all the enemies were targeting me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Mission 3, right? Since you can pick up where you left off with the story missions at any time, it's usually wise to take a few more jobs on the side to outfit your ship, especially with nanobots and shield batteries which are basically the instant health potions of space.
    It's been awhile and I honestly don't remember. I was definitely taking a fair volume of side jobs, though, and buying defenses. I distinctly remember the last couple of missions in the American Sector requiring at least a dozen replays, until I finally squeaked by them, only to find that stepping foot in "British" space was basically instant death.

Hmm, I don't know what to say! Perhaps you were using a cargo ship instead of a fighter? The cargo ship's extra shields and weapons are no compensation at all for the loss of maneuverability, it's almost impossible to fly combat missions with them.

I got through the entire game without using missile launchers, mines, or even countermeasures. That's not bravado on my part, but rather a reflection on Freelancer's overall difficulty.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 04-11-2011 at 12:06 AM.

I don't recall every having the money to purchase a new ship, so I think I was always flying whatever it was you start in.

I think purchasing a new ship is more important than upgrading weapons. It's best to just buy a couple of average guns and transfer them to the next fighter.

Ship > nano & shield batteries > weapons.

On an unrelated note - Jennifer Hale.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I think purchasing a new ship is more important than upgrading weapons. It's best to just buy a couple of average guns and transfer them to the next fighter.

Ship > nano & shield batteries > weapons.

On an unrelated note - Jennifer Hale.
    Maybe that was it. Again, it's been long enough I can't remember, but I was obviously doing something very wrong if the game isn't supposed to be particularly difficult. Hmm, an excuse to break out a free roaming space game, that's not a bad thing at all. Thanks Drake!

Any graphics mods I should know about?

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post

But you should Play I-War 2!

Also, check out this thread.

I've got a different opinion about I-War 2. I found the learning curve to be a vertical cliff (Starting the player off outside a station which nerfs your ship and having you go against a vastly superior force was just stupid.) and I got rdiculously frustrated with the game before getting the opportunity to get into it.

If you can pick up the second Wing Commander Privateer (The one with Clive Owen) you're going to have an awesome time.

As for Freelancer I thought it was a really fun, balanced game but the lack of joystick support was disappointing.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine — couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Activated Node
    There is definitely a widescreen mod for Freelancer knocking about somewhere that is very useful these days.

The difficulty can be nasty because the enemy definitely swarms you and ignores allies mostly. There is a mostly non-cheat way that you can make things little easier though: Find wrecks. They're scattered around the place, usually in very dangerous areas, but if you can scavenge them you'll usually get very powerful weapons or very valuable cargo that you can sell to buy very powerful weapons or ships. You can definitely reach at least 1 very early on. I'd advise finding an online guide for location though as they're not easy to find by random wandering.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Everyone in this thread should play Terminus.

Newtonian physics influenced by the weight and load of your ship, a full real time 24 hour storyline with branching storypoints that depend almost entirely on your performance during the missions.

It's brilliant.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon