Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Activated Node
    Is that (Terminus) the one about a Mars rebellion, or something? I remember thinking that was the least bad of a few I tried out but never followed up that suffered mostly from not being Independence War.

Freelancer's horrid, but quite a lot of people like it, so I'll just leave it be. The X-Wing/TIE Fighter series is probably the closest to Freespace if you want the WW2 in space with no ground and no stalling thing. That or Wing Commander - Privateer's definitely worth a look if you like Elite knock-offs.

I loved Freelancer. The mouse-and-keyboard based combat and shiphandling worked well for me - I don't have a joystick - and the universe was massive, handcrafted and astonishingly detailed.

If there is one thing that I thought Freelancer really excelled at, it is the exploration and system design. Every single star system was unique in layout and there was a ton of stuff to find and explore. Take the New York system for example. You start here in the main game, and the demo is set here.

Ah, the demo! One system out of about 50 in the full game. I spent hours in that one system. There's so much there! The badlands, ominous, atmospheric and filled with pirates. That mysterious minefield patrolled by the Liberty Navy. A battleship that you can land on! You could buy a really good heavy starfighter there. The planets with their unique surface areas and the spaceport bars! You meet people there and take missions or get information. I remember the voice work!

Player: Ey whadcha got?
    NPC: Hello! I work for the.

NPC: LIBERTY NAVY!

NPC: We may not run this place, but we do have a sizable stake in its operation. Card?
    Player: (silently hands over card)
    NPC: Everything seems to be in order.
    NPC: I don't have anything for you now. Come back later.
    Player: ...

Actually, now I think about it it's probably best not to bring up the voice acting in the bars. You can disable those interactions in the menu. The voice work in the actual story part of the game is actually quite good if I remember correctly - Jennifer Hale's in there as one of the lead characters.

Anyway, I could be here for a while reminiscing about Freelancer. The different and interesting individual star systems is what really sets it apart from the X series and bloody Dark Star One with its copy and paste systems bollocks. If you like the idea of exploring a hand crafted environment and getting excited each time you get the access codes to go to a new place, you'll probably enjoy Freelancer. I should just have typed that, really...

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I spent some quality time with Freelancer this past weekend and it's pretty much right on target. Exploration is fantastic (though getting around is a bit slow) and the different systems are wonderful. I decided to use the Discovery mod and jump in multiplayer so I can do the stuff without the story, which might not be the best idea for a FL noob. But it's enjoyable for sure.

However! I put an equal amount of quality time into X3:TC. It's just stupidly glorious. I really want to go back to Freelancer, to explore and learn how its world works and attempt to kick every available variation of ass out there. But, now that I've really spent a little time learning how X3 works, I think it could be a little more rewarding.
    steam

I always thought of Freelancer as being Diablo in space. It's even got red and blue health and mana potions. Great game that I've played a ton of, but definitely not a space-sim.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    No space game descussion can be complete without mention of Escape Velocity! Great games. 2d, so I can play them on my shit laptop. Multiple story lines (though never too well written, enjoyable), fun combat and the ability to make worlds pay tribute to you.
    It does have its flaws, I wish the systems were more interesting, but there are invariably something to fight in, visit a planet, or move to the next system.
    Played 40 hours of X2. Couldnt imagine a worse game, unless it hooked electrodes up to your body and shocked you frequently. Never want to hear the words "Boron trading dolphin" spoken aloud again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    No space game descussion can be complete without mention of Escape Velocity! Great games. 2d, so I can play them on my shit laptop. Multiple story lines (though never too well written, enjoyable), fun combat and the ability to make worlds pay tribute to you.
    It does have its flaws, I wish the systems were more interesting, but there are invariably something to fight in, visit a planet, or move to the next system.
    Mr. Radiator Full Pig is right. Escape Velocity is a Great! series.

Activated Node
    I always find it amusing how people praise Freespace 2 but are so anti-Freelancer. The thing is, if you weren't born in a certain time then you'd have a hard time understanding and appreciating certain games. Just like you'd have numberless people banding on about how great Planescape or some god forgotten rpg is/was, much has to do with when they played it and what they played before (because let's be honest, the gameplay of PS:T is at best mediocre by current standards, subjective and all that aside). Similarly, you'll have people hating on Freelancer about how it's so and so, not "really" a space sim or whatever else. It's hard to go play Freelancer now and be able to appreciate what it felt like to play it so many years ago. Freelancer had a great atmosphere, it had a lot of freedom for you to go about and make your own fortune, the voice acting and sounds were great, graphically it's beautiful, all the little connections with cultures from reality gave it a certain edge that felt just right, the narrative wasn't bad at all and it really left me with that lingering sense of impending doom right from the start, it had a very conspiracyesq feeling that I could only recently feel again when seeing Rubicon, up until the very end during the last mission when I actually felt that the world was gonna be possessed by pure evil. Not to say anything about the various mods which made the game all the better. But there was always something you could discover, somewhere to go and explore, the combat system was arcadeish - which for me was all the better; but it was fun! Most of all though, the interactions and the world had a sort of authenticity about it which was what made it so good for me. X2 had this in a way too, but it was a more.. to use a literary analogy, Freelancer had the feeling of Romanticism, while X2 was going more towards the Naturalist tradition.

As all games though, once you grow up, the spell of gaming fades in power and it will take other things to lure you in. For 2011, if you're over 16, Freelancer is more miss than hit, but nothing's to stop you from getting a taste and deciding for yourself; often it is better to read less about games and play them, lest you become contaminated by the opinions of others and spoil your experience.
    Though, take what I say with a grain of salt, what makes a gaming experience memorable (positively) is based on certain factors which are tied to you only and no matter how well you'd talk about or describe it, it won't be the same case for anyone else. So when someone says a game is good, bad, whatever, don't think about it too much, it has little relevance and some people only talk so the earth won't forget them. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durkonkell View Post
    Ah, the demo! One system out of about 50 in the full game. I spent hours in that one system. There's so much there! The badlands, ominous, atmospheric and filled with pirates. That mysterious minefield patrolled by the Liberty Navy. A battleship that you can land on! You could buy a really good heavy starfighter there. The planets with their unique surface areas and the spaceport bars! You meet people there and take missions or get information. I remember the voice work!

Player: Ey whadcha got?
    NPC: Hello! I work for the.

NPC: LIBERTY NAVY!

NPC: We may not run this place, but we do have a sizable stake in its operation. Card?
    Player: (silently hands over card)
    NPC: Everything seems to be in order.
    NPC: I don't have anything for you now. Come back later.
    Player: .....
    Thank god for the job board.

Activated Node
    So.... As far as X3 goes.. are there any cons to Terran Conflict? and is Gold worth picking up?

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jquinn914 View Post
    So.... As far as X3 goes.. are there any cons to Terran Conflict? and is Gold worth picking up?
    It is glacially paced and requires commitment, but TC's interface is actually quite intuitive and the universe is flexible. It's a German trading game at heart, it seems, so take that into consideration as well. It's also gorgeous.

Personally, I'd just grab TC. It seems to be the best evolution of the series.
    steam