Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I know the topic has veered a bit from the 'Games do/don't age' section, but allow me to chuck in my two pence.

Games don't age. We just get more experience. If someone who hasn't seen any games since the 80s is made to play Elder Scrolls: Arena or Daggerfall, I'm sure he would have the same excitement that we are hoping to get from Skyrim.

Ok, continue!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugular View Post
    I know the topic has veered a bit from the 'Games do/don't age' section, but allow me to chuck in my two pence.

Games don't age. We just get more experience. If someone who hasn't seen any games since the 80s is made to play Elder Scrolls: Arena or Daggerfall, I'm sure he would have the same excitement that we are hoping to get from Skyrim.

Ok, continue!
    True that. Or to quote Tina Fey on 30 Rock: "It was a lot easier when our audience wasn't as savvy."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Can't we stop using analogies and speak in more concrete terms?

There are definite, observable things that have evolved away from what it was in the past, technologically as well as in terms game design.
    Your rather risky examples of said improvements aside, so what? If you were able to play System Shock back in '94 despite its horrendous control scheme, what stops you from doing the same today?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Your rather risky examples of said improvements aside, so what? If you were able to play System Shock back in '94 despite its horrendous control scheme, what stops you from doing the same today?
    Nothing, one just just doesn't want to. Much like how I could survive for a month on pasta, beans and bread at university but now I have a job I eat proper meals instead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Nothing, one just just doesn't want to. Much like how I could survive for a month on pasta, beans and bread at university but now I have a job I eat proper meals instead.
    "System Shock isn't a proper game because Call of Duty is."

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I'm not one of "the kids" who "have it so easy these days". I'm someone with an actual memory, someone who remembers when people were sick of hearing about yet another game trying to be Quake. We got flooded with Quake-likes and it got boring. That's what the hell happened.
    I remember when the French version of PCG used to refer to FPS games as "Quake-like".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    'Proper' was probably a bad choice of word in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    If you were able to play System Shock back in '94 despite its horrendous control scheme, what stops you from doing the same today?
    Just to nit-pick for a second...

System Shock's control scheme is awesome. It's pretty straight forward, but allows for a fine degree of control. You just have to use the "Full Screen" option to get the best out of it. I still pull that game out once every couple of years. (Thank-you DOSBox for making that task a lot easier.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    "I kill homeless people for sexual thrills."

Oh hey, it works when I do it, too!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    I remember when the French version of PCG used to refer to FPS games as "Quake-like".
    Germans just call them all "ego-shooters"

Which is an apt naming.